1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys Practice Squad-Robert Calloway Anyone know about him?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Sep 14, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Note, we have 1 more opening on practice squad right, since we cut FB Greenhouse? We can sign 8 players to practice squad i think?

Practice Squad
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/team_roster.cfm

Calloway, Robert

DT

6-5

Saginaw Valley State

Small school Sleeper: Robert Calloway
    Written by Bo Marchionte Thursday, 25 March 2010 13:46

0 Comments

Before last season began, a scout from the Miami Dolphins called a young man playing football for the Saginaw Valley State Cardinals, in Michigan. The scout went on to tell the standout defensive lineman that he had the skills and athleticism to make it in the National Football League.

After that phone call, the Cardinals Robert Calloway said, “I took it to heart” and that the phone call “stuck with me all season”. Calloway admitted that prior to the call he had “one problem”, his conditioning. So prior to the 2009 season, Calloway said he “basically devoted” his life to getting into shape, saying that “I did the best I could for my game”.

The hard work paid off, as evidenced by his invites to the East Coast Bowl and Cactus Bowl at the conclusion of his senior season with the Cardinals.

You might be wondering why I am writing about this D-II school kid and not some SEC standout. Take names like Jacob Ford from the Tennessee Titans or Aaron Smith, the 2004 Pro Bowler from the Pittsburgh Steelers—both were D-II college players. Smith was taken in the fourth round of the 1999 draft out of D-II Northern Colorado, and I would bet a pretty penny not too many from Steeler Nation knew what they where getting with this relative unknown. That’s why I try to bring someone to the forefront that can make a difference, someone you might not be acquainted with, so when the time rolls around and you hear his named called during the draft, you will be excited and not confused about your favorite team taking Robert Calloway.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/NFL-Insider-Insider-info/small-school-sleeper-robert-calloway.html

DT Calloway Joins Practice Squad

The Cowboys have also filled their last practice squad spot. Defensive tackle Robert Calloway was signed late Thursday to bring the squad’s total to eight. Calloway was an undrafted free agent rookie from Saginaw Valley last year. He spent all of 2010 on the Detroit Lions practice squad and was released last Saturday.

The Cowboys now have a full practice squad consisting of: WR Teddy Williams, CB Mario Butler, LB Orie Lemon, LB Isaiah Greenhouse, WR Andre Holmes, S Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, FB Shaun Chapas and Calloway.

[IMG]
  2. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    He was a numbers casualty in Detroit. Had an excellent camp according to reports. I heard he was more like 325 lbs.
  3. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,733 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    He may be now. He probably put on additional weight during the year with the Lions.
  4. cowboyjoe

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Hmmmm, no one has caught it yet, we play the lions this year. Getting tips from from lions from this guy?
  5. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,593 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    So that means after the lions game we might cut him like the Jets did with Sendjo?:laugh2:
  6. cowboyjoe

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
  7. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,941 Messages
    356 Likes Received
  8. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received