1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Practice Squad Thread

Discussion in 'CZ Announcement Zone' started by dgr81, Sep 4, 2011.

1. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    Dallas retains two of the best athletes on the squad but not two of the best Football Players. Williams was my dark horse going into camp.
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    He played CB last preseason. I actually thought he played pretty well there and was surprised when they converted him to WR. He actually seemed like a natural for someone who had never played the position before.

His size does work a bit against him at CB but he looked pretty good coming out of his backpedal to break on the ball.

If I remember correctly, he played WR in HS.
  3. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Welp. Maybe AOA can become a good special teams player in the future. The next Jesse Holley
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    nickeatman Nick Eatman
    Cowboys to sign WR Andre Holmes to practice squad. Rookie from Hillsdale was cut by Vikings. Came to Ranch on a pre-draft visit in April.
  5. BigDinAZ

BigDinAZ Active Member

1,401 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Anyone have anything on him from preseason?
  6. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

4,185 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    nickeatman Nick Eatman
    Cowboys to sign WR Andre Holmes to practice squad. Rookie from Hillsdale was cut by Vikings. Came to Ranch on a pre-draft visit in April.
  7. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Interesting....so that makes how many now on the PS?
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,462 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    is Miller still eligible?
  9. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Does anyone else remember R2A's sig after we drafted AOA? It said he was going to have a "borderline HOF career with the cowboys" :laugh2:
  10. FanSince61

FanSince61 Thanks for the memories Dandy

865 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I believe he is.

From SBNation.com's Brian McIntyre:

Eligibility for the practice squad is limited to players who do not have an accrued season in the NFL, or were on an active list (53-man roster) for fewer than nine games during their only accrued seasons. Players that have served two seasons on a practice squad are eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment.

A player will be considered to have served on a practice squad in a season if he were a member of a practice squad for three regular or postseason games during his first two practice squad seasons, or for one regular season or postseason game during a third practice squad season.
    The minimum weekly salary for practice squad players in 2011 (and 2012) is $5,700, an increase of $500 over the 2008-2010 rate. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a practice squad player. Several teams have enticed players with offers of increased pay, usually a few thousand dollars extra, to join or remain on their practice squad.

11. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,699 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Mario Butler (MacMahon tweet)
    Orie Lemmon (Eatman)
    Shaun Chapas (Eatman)

That makes it six by my count.
  12. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

701 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    mrbutler2 Mario Butler
    Its official #cowboynation this the best place for me 2 grow!

A year with Mike Woicik and this guy will be in the mix for a starting spot next year.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I was really hoping these three would be on the PS. I would like M Johnson there as well.
  14. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....I was surprised he got cut.:cool:
  15. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

159 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Any news on Cummings. I didn't see his name on the final 53. He really showed up during the preseason.
  16. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,699 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Not sure if he qualifies. And yes, at times he looked good. At others, especially on the two TD's that Miami scored, he looked awful.
  17. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Who is the 6th other than AOA and Teddy Williams?

EDIT: Never mind, WR Andre Holmes.
  18. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    "daone8701: Cowboys to sign WR Andre Holmes to practice squad. Rookie from Hillsdale was cut by Vikings. Came to Ranch on a pre-draft visit in April."
    --http://twitter.com/daone8701/status/110480658748542976
  19. natesboys051

natesboys051 New Member

112 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Funny how a lot of guys were hating and hoping for AOA to get CUT but most fail to realize that he was only 20yrs old from a small college when drafted (injured) last year. He's definitely got speed and, in my opinion, showed up in preseason this year. And because he was drafted INJURED last year, he did NOT have the benefit of OTA's and Training Camp last year which is normally good for 1,500 reps. With this year's NFL STRIKE, he got maybe 500 reps and some preseason snaps but he was still only 21yrs old. Next year (after a full season of strength training with Woicik), he'll be 22yrs old and MORE stronger, faster, and 'instinctive' with the benefit of 1,500 snaps after participating in OTA's and Training Camp. I believer both AOA and Mario Butler (who's only 185lbs) will come back 'changed' players with more muscle and explosiveness. They will BOTH be competing next year for either starting or backup roles. And, we all know that both Sensabaugh and Elam have ONLY 1yr contracts and TNEW is probably gone after this year.
  20. FanSince61

FanSince61 Thanks for the memories Dandy

865 Messages
    18 Likes Received