1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Practice Squad Thread

Discussion in 'CZ Announcement Zone' started by dgr81, Sep 4, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If your going to base your whole little lament/apologetic around AOA's age, at least get it right.

AOA was born 4/10/1988, and the '10 Draft was in late April, that made AOA 22-years old at the time he was drafted.

He's 23 now.

Sorta takes the wind out of your sails doesn't it?

Start your backpedal............now.
  3. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
  4. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Sweet........
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Another pet cat of yours?

I looked at his combine results and he seems like he has good size, speed (4.53), vertical (35), broad jump, 3-cone drill.

He come from a really small school (? Hillsdale).
  6. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,405 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Anyone got any Holmes highlights?
  7. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yes he was: http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3934136&postcount=12

Also Hillsdale is one of the schools I was assigned to for the last 3 years so I had a lot of opportunities to see him play.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,008 Messages
    623 Likes Received
  9. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,623 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    This is the stuff that really makes me laugh.
  10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
  11. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Actually I was kind of surprised by it.

I figured he was a 3 year developmental guy but he really settled in after his 3rd game. He still has a lot of technical work to do, he gets by right now with his athletic ability but one of his strongest attributes is his work ethic and intelligence so I have no doubt he's going to be a hell of a OT in this league.
  12. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Bio: Three year starter awarded all-Conference honors since his sophomore season and named to numerous all-American teams the past two years. Senior receiving totals included 104/1368/11, after junior totals of 77/1076/6.

Positive: Nice sized receiver that dominated the lower level of competition he played at. Quickly releases off the line, comes back to the ball and works to make himself an available target. Extends his hands, offers the quarterback a nice target and looks the ball in. Effectively follows blocks running after the catch, shows strength handling the ball and the ability to pick up positive yardage. Nicely tracks to the deep ball and makes the difficult, over the shoulder reception in stride. Gets up in a crowd or makes the tough catch with defenders draped on him. Consistent hand catcher that shows a large degree of reliability.

Negative: Shows a marginal burst to his game and not a vertical receiver. Average route runner that tends to drift after exiting breaks. Marginal quickness transitioning from making the catch to running after the reception.

Analysis: Holmes was a terrific small school receiver that continually overmatched the competition he played against. He struggled running routes at the combine yet has the size and speed as well as the pass catching skills necessary to be a fourth or fifth receiver in the NFL once he gets accustomed to the competition.

Short version for ya
  13. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,008 Messages
    623 Likes Received
  14. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    hey sdogo, glad to have you back buddy
  15. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Thanks Joe, hope everything is well with you.
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I agree....think people were way to quick to discount this kid.
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Right. What we think doesnt matter. The Cowboys "discounted" him by cutting him; as did the 31 other NFL teams that decided he wasn't worth even a practice squad roster spot.

I'm not rooting against kid at all, but folks need to realize he's at where he's at because the guys who get paid for this stuff have determined so.

BTW, AOA is 23, not 21 as the other poster incorrectly claimed
  18. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    That is pure speculation.

We only know that he passed through waivers so no other team claimed him. However, it is certainly possible that another team offered him the PS but he declined and chose to sign with us.

I think it is actually fairly uncommon for someone to end up on another team's PS after clearing waivers.
  19. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmmm, tell that to Andrew Sendejo, Josh Thomas, and Andre Holmes to name just a relevant few.

I got into this very same discussion last year with silverbear when talking about Brewster getting cut last season and passing through waivers and back onto the Cowboys' practice squad.

There is something plainly there to infer when a team cuts a player. The team is saying we have decided that you're worth the risk of losing.
  20. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    That's not the issue - you claimed no one else offered him a spot on the practice squad which cannot be proven.

We only know that no one put him on their 53-man roster.