1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys raving about S Barron

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Mar 28, 2012.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,455 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    per JJT

Jean-Jacques Taylor ‏ @JJT_ESPNDallas Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Cowboys been raving about him since middle of last season. They can probably get him later in round, which is why they'd like to trade down

Not sure how I feel about a safety in round 1...
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Someone on this Alabama defense is ridiculously overrated. These guys aren't all Top 25 pick worthy. Someone's the Vince Wilork and someone is the Jerome McDougle. Just sayin'.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,562 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    The only Alabama player I really want is Chapman and they arent going to take him. I will say this, these guys are all used to winning. Has to count for something.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Why???
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Because the odds that Alabama had 5 of the best 7 or 8 defenders in all of college sports all on the field at the same time this last year is pretty much a statistical impossibility. A dominating unit often makes the whole look better than the actual sum of the parts. Alvin Harper may have looked like he could be a #1 WR when he played with Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Jay Novacek and the best OL in football, but he wasnt (as the Bucs found out).

Again, look at the Miami Hurricane defenses in the early 2000s and all the future 1st round draft picks there. There were legitimate superstars there with Sean Taylor and Vince Wilfork and DJ Williams. There were also a heck of a lot William Josephs, Jerome McDougles, Mike Rumphs, Kelly Jennings and Phillip Buchanans who looked a lot better than they really were as pro prospects because they had great teammates bullying up on completely overwhelmed opponents. When they got to the NFL and the talent differential between teams evened out they got exposed.
  6. TheSport78

8,455 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I guess Jerry figures he can't target any injured players in the 2nd round this year, so he's going for a player in the 1st round.

There IS a method to his madness!
  7. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nick Saban is the greatest recruiter in the history of college football, there's nothing "impossible' about it.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    This..
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, just like they said about Butch Davis when he was at Miami. That's why Mike Rumph, William Joseph, Jerome McDougle, Kelly Jennings and Phillip Buchanan all made such phenomenal pros and great first round draft picks.
  10. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is the Alabama player that I like for the Cowboys, and he makes the most sense for the Cowboys (among all the projected Alabama first rounders). Barron is a top 20 player on tape according to Mike Mayock, and he would be a day one starter at safety for Dallas. Barron is the best safety in the draft. Plus, Barron would be Dallas' best safety the day that his name is called, and he would provide a significant upgrade at safety. Mike Lombardi threw his name out there for Dallas today. Richardson and Barron are probably Alabama's two best players in this draft and the two safest players. I'd put Richardson at number 1 and Barron at number 2.

I think Barron should be on Dallas' short list. He's a good, solid football player. He's on my short list.

Barron
    Coples
    Gilmore
    Ingram
    Konz
  11. GloryDaysRBack

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    You don't want Decastro?
  12. TheSport78

8,455 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    The only reason I don't like Barron for Dallas is because it keeps Sensabaugh at FS. I don't think Sensy's strengths are instincts and ball skills; more suited for SS IMO. Barron is purely a SS.
  13. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,702 Messages
    539 Likes Received
  14. GloryDaysRBack

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Is Barron expected to run tomorrow?
  15. Chris in Arizona

3,702 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    I hope so. I would like to confirm or disprove my theory that he is yet another step slow safety. Good player but not the safety we need.
  16. GloryDaysRBack

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    How fast do you think he is?
  17. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,883 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    I think he may fall in the 4.5 to 4.6 range.

Guess on his 40 if he works out Thurs...4.53
  18. GloryDaysRBack

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    If he posts a 4.53 that would be an excellent time for him
  19. Chris in Arizona

3,702 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    high 4.6 to 4.7.

I really wanted him to run at the Combine (I get that he was injured) because I wanted to see him on a known track.
  20. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,883 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    Agreed.