1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys raving about S Barron

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Mar 28, 2012.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,438 Messages
    1,908 Likes Received
    I put togethera spreadsheet of recruiting rankings (I think it was Rivals) of about 70 schools.
    You can run averages over the last 10, 5 years...whatever.

Pre Saban, Alabama was 30th, 49th, 15th, 18th, 11th, 10th....but in Sanan's 5 years they have beens 1st, 1st, 5th, 1st, 1st. They are so far in the lead in recruiting over the past 5 years vs all other programs, it's sick.

BTW, the average the last 10 years (so only half Saban) are
    1. USC
    2. Florida
    3. LSU
    4. Georgia
    5. Texas
    6. FSU
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Alabama
    9. Michigan
    10. Auburn
  2. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,602 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Looks like Barron is faster than I expected. I'll chalk up the second slower time to the bad start that's being reported and the fact that running a second 40 after an injury recovery is going to be slower. I'm sure he is much closer to the 4.5 time he ran the first one.

I feel better about him. Speed is incredibly important in Safeties, Cornerbacks, and Wide Receivers IMO. I still don't want him at 14 but maybe in the 22 to 30 range.
  3. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,087 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    The pundits on the radio yesterday gave me the impression that Barron was the lesser of the bunch...
  4. austin88

austin88 New Member

23 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's like Lacewell calling up his SEC buddies, but at least Lacewell knew people from all over the conference.
    Maybe that's the lesson Jerry learned from those disastrous drafts -- don't worry about so many schools, just narrow it down to one.
    Less clutter that way.

Sigh. Maybe CL's hopeful thought is right; maybe Garrett's asking Saban about players on opposing teams, too.
    Alabama sure didn't have much luck blocking Cox, from the highlights I saw.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,000 Messages
    4,866 Likes Received
    This thread rocks, btw.

One thing I like about this offseason, nobody really has much of a clue who we like. Plausible scenarios come out every day, and that's a good thing.

As for Garrett and his coaching buddies, it works both ways. The connection he's got with college coaches gives us inside info. It also doesn't hurt the college programs when several of their players get media coverage leading up to the draft that the Dallas Cowboys are considering trading up or moving back in the draft to get a shot at them. Say what you want about our recent record, but we deliver PR impact when our name is associated with a college program.

We've done a decent job with our first picks of late. I'm not at all worried we'll overdraft somebody because of a friendship with his college coach. Say what you want about Garrett, but he runs a methodical ship and makes decisions rationally.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,000 Messages
    4,866 Likes Received
    Hey, at least you guys tried to guess his footspeed down to the hundreth of a second. That's pretty impressive, even by internet sports board standards.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I always got the impression cornerback play was much more important than safety play in the Ryan scheme.

Look at the Jets. Their safeties are average at best, but have a shut-down corner in Revis. I bet they're looking heavily at Kirkpatrick.
  8. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    somebody's been smoking crack today.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,438 Messages
    1,908 Likes Received
    No doubt, the Jets (and eagles) have invested more in the CB position than anyone else.
    Revis
    Cromartie
    and with those two in hand they still spent a 1st rounder on Kyle Wilson.
  10. TheSport78

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I'm with you. I'm just not buying the Barron interest. I think they're looking at Upshaw and Kirkpatrick honestly.

Kirkpatrick gives the team flexibility. Maybe he ends up being a safety? Dre also gives the Cowboys leverage with Mike Jenkins, and a contingency plan incase Jenkins isn't ready for the season.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We've always agreed way more than disagreed, but the agreements aren't nearly as much fun.
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Could Dallas be trying to get both a CB and Barron in the first.

Gilmore or Kirpatrick in a trade back and Barron in a trade up.
  13. TheSport78

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I'm trying to think what the organization's plan is. Here's why I think they are favoring Kirkpatrick:

1. Kirkpatrick, worse case, could be the starting free safety

2. He gives the Cowboys a fall back plan if Jenkins isn't healthy or ready for the season

3. He can be targeted in a trade down, due to Gilmore's emergence

Kirkpatrick will be the pick in a trade down. Then we'll use our ammo, move up and get Konz.
  14. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    So we are going to take the 14th and 45th pick plus maybe some other stuff and turn than into a corner with no interceptions and low pbu who is a spindley 187 at nearly 6-2 and change him to free safety. Then follow that up by drafting a center with health problems and 18 bench reps.

SIGN ME UP
  15. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I can see that but I think they like barring a lot too. I can see a trade back and get kirkpatrick then a trade up with a package of Jenkins to get barron. Then you trade again to move up in the 2nd to get konz
  16. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,262 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    Barron supposedly looked extremely fluid in drills!!!!
  17. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,848 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Barron would only be the target in a tradeback. If we were to swap picks with NE and fall back to #27 and #31, I could stomach it.
  18. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,830 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    Aslong as we trade down I would be happy with the pick.
  19. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    And the Patriots will take the best pass rusher or 5 technique on the board.
  20. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,178 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    Hopefully NE likes someone enough pull the trigger on that. Oh lawd that would be ideal for us.