1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys RB coach Skip Peete pleased with development of rookie RB DeMarco Murray

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Arch Stanton, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys running backs coach Skip Peete pleased with development of rookie RB DeMarco Murray

By Brandon George / Reporter
    bgeorge@dallasnews.com | Bio
    2:58 PM on Thu., Oct. 13, 2011 | Permalink
    IRVING -- Cowboys running backs coach Skip Peete said he's pleased with the development so far of third-round pick DeMarco Murray. The rookie out of Oklahoma has 14 carries for 39 yards through four games.

Murray didn't play until the final week of training camp because of a hamstring injury

Read more:http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/cowboys-running-backs-coach-sk.html?
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    I never place much value on the word of a position coach. For the most part they are in the role of being encouraging etc.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    How can you be pleased he's done absolutely nothing :laugh2:
  4. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,648 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    very young children have the inability to understand that an entire world exists outside of what they themselves see and hear.

eventually, nearly all people acquire this ability.

yet I constantly see fans that seem to lack this trait. It's as if they don't realize that a massive amount of evaluation and achievement can exist outside of the three hours on Sunday they are privy to. :bang2:
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,117 Messages
    3,147 Likes Received
    EB, that may be the single greatest sentence I have seen on this forum all year. That one sentence earns this.

:post:
  6. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,721 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Then you will have some misinformed opinions. The position coach's job is to coach, sometimes that is to encourage and sometimes it is getting in their grill. Most importantly, he is the person that has the most contact with a particular player.
  7. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,532 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I looking for more contributions from Murry as the season goes on.
  8. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I think the team will be better once Murray becomes more of a factor. But then, I have always liked big, fast, productive players.
  9. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Both sides of this need to gravitate toward the middle. Clearly the position coach sees and knows more that what we see on Sundays, but at the same time saying something positive when asked by a reporter isn't necessarily a sign of anything more than he feels the guy has a chance to work out.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    No I get it...he makes progress in practice. You don't win **** in practice.
  11. BluMen

BluMen Member

54 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Some people don't get it. It's all about process. With the shorten off season and injury Murray didn't get the reps so now he is learning during the season. Makes sense to me.
  12. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,684 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    :facepalm:
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Makes sense to me too. Just because I tend to value what he does on Sundays more than what his position coach says he's doing in practice, doesn't mean I'm that short sighted. How many dozens of times has a coach or someone say that a player is doing great in practice, and then it never amounts to anything.

I understand the process, and I'm saying, as a fan, how can we think he's making progress or doing well when he hasn't done anything on the field. We aren't there at practice, and I have a hard time taking a position coach's word as gospel when it comes to player development.
  14. BluMen

BluMen Member

54 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."....Given the fact the we haven't seen much of him for various reasons and there are those who do want to hear updates on the development of the players that don't get much playing time...If you can't trust the position coach who do you trust? There will come a time that we will have to test our faith but for now I would say it's good news to hear.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Well sure, it's good news I guess. I'm just saying I'm skeptical, I understand that coaches can't be critical in public if there's nothing specific to be critical of. But a 2nd round pick at RB, even if he hasn't had much time in the system, should be able to come in and show on Sundays that he can have an impact. He's shown a couple glimpses, but I'm hesitant, and I think coaches should be too, to say he's progressing when he's not doing anything on Sundays.
  16. basstapp

basstapp Well-Known Member

1,144 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    That is just an ignorant comment. Lets say you get hired on to a new job and yoh have no training and an outside consultant says, you have not shown the ability to do your job.... Same thing except Murray has been injured and two guys are above him in the depth chart.
  17. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    It's saying the exact same thing...I didn't say he should be cut. And I don't think said guy should be fired. But in both cases, it's fair to say that neither has shown anything.
  18. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,648 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    fixed it.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Unless you've been at practice, he hasn't shown anything to you either. And I'm assuming that 99.99% of this board doesn't go to practice...
  20. BluMen

BluMen Member

54 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I guess the old position coach new what he was talking about after all. Way to go coach Peete and keep up the great work Murray!