1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys reach 6 year deal with Romo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,803 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Exactly....

Most people just post, and cry about how Romo is this and that, and Jerry is this and that...with no hard facts.. instead of the same old...

"He's only won 1 playoff game"

To top it off, you guys ride the same horse day and night. Stalking every thread with the same venom and poison. So don't get mad when others start throwing dirt right back.
  2. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    big mistake. he is a choker. jerry is an idiot. curse lives on for another decade:bang2:
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,916 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    yawn.
  4. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    pay QB big money

go cheap on OL

8-8
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,653 Messages
    1,525 Likes Received
    Legit complaint there

You can do that to some degree if you draft Oline properly though. They better do at least some of that this year.
  6. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,242 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    Jerry re signing Romo was no surprise to me I've been saying all off season it was a lock but I'm sure it was a surprise to the fan who argued with me for days that it would be almost impossible to get him under the cap. :cool: I explained the Cowboys would do what all teams do to get players under the cap they will restructure contracts. He was so convinced it couldn't be done he wanted me to restructure all the contracts to prove it could be done. :rolleyes:
  7. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,809 Messages
    1,074 Likes Received
    You've just provided the facts. Thanks
  8. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    merideth had bob hayes
    staubach had duane thomas and tony dorsett
    aikman had e smith

romo has no running game. jerry's fault
  9. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,809 Messages
    1,074 Likes Received
    Who are the stud running backs of the last 5 Super Bowls? I don't know them.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,919 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Bob Hayes was Meredith's HOF WR. Didn't see that era but I think Don Perkins was probably his rb.
  11. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,967 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    All probably had a better running game than we have the past couple years. Short yardage, goal line type of stuff. And also, Ray Rice.
  12. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,580 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    There appear to be many here who still don't think it can be done, or that it can't be done again next year or the year after that.

Can you go through and restructure all the contracts for the next 10 years to show them how it can be done? ;)
  13. ragman

ragman Member

180 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Here's my two cents.

Would I have given Tony that much money? No. However, having said that, I'm not sure what else the Cowboys could have done. Franchise him? No, that would have cost about a fourth of the salary cap for next year. Trade him? I'm not sure there are many teams out there that would have wanted to
    take on his contract. Let him walk in 2014? They wouldn't have done that, because they have a fear of the unknown. They'd rather stick with a QB they know instead of a QB they don't know. Romo had all the leverage in this situation.

Now, JJ has to do the right thing and make the OL a top priority in next month's draft.
  14. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,610 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    I hope the hell he does! That is a must for this draft...

He paid Romo, not get him some help!!
  15. KJJ

10,242 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    All the restructured contracts will catch up with the Cowboys and Jerry knows it but he had no alternative but to take drastic measures to resign Romo. The Cowboys are a 4 to 6 win team without him and would be stuck burning draft picks and bringing in cast offs to try and replace him. Jerry wasn't about to put himself in that situation.
  16. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,803 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    That's the only horse you know how to ride.
  17. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,580 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Catch up is relative. Will Dallas have to pay the piper as far as dead money goes? Absolutely. Will Dallas be able to shape its contracts so it can pay the piper and still build a team? Absolutely.

The structure of the NFL overall is borrowing from tomorrow to pay today. If you do that right, you can do it indefinitely.
  18. KJJ

10,242 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    The salary cap has been around for 20 years and teams have learned how to massage it allowing them to keep their most important player regardless of how far over the cap they are. No team is going to lose their franchise QB because they can't figure out a way to get them under the cap.

All this nonsense about trading Romo were from fans who had reached the end of their rope with him and wanted to move on. Had the Cowboys beat Washington in the season finale and gone deep into the playoffs no one would have claimed it would be impossible to resign him and that we need to trade him.