1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys receive official permission to talk to Joey Harrington...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by SALADIN, Mar 28, 2006.

1. clayman

clayman New Member

272 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tremendously correct post.
  2. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,110 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    I'd much rather draft Charlie Whitehurst...especially if it means sending a pick to Detroit.
  3. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,070 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    And I really do hope that it happens. I don't get the negativity. Everyone on this board knows that this is a playoff contending team which is one one sack away from being 5-11. Harrington is first round pedigree with four years of playing experience. At this point, I would feel much better with him backing up Drew Bledsoe than Henson or Romo.
  4. DallasDomination

DallasDomination Well-Known Member

6,241 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Say no to HArrington[IMG]
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,314 Messages
    852 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys do acquire Harrington to be the #2, then why would they keep Romo to be #3? Develop him one more year for someone else? He's a UFA after the season who believes that he is ready to start. If they demote him to #3 he is not going to take it well and he will not re-sign (I don't think he would do it if he were the clearcut #2). Keeping Romo under the Harrington scenario doesn't make any sense at all. They would be telling him that they don't believe he is good enough to take over.
  6. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Earlier in this thread I said Henson is here for a long time since Jerry is calling the shots on Henson.

I still believe that, but what about a straight up trade Harrington for Henson, with maybe future conditional draft picks thrown in on each side?

Actually, such a trade may not be outside the realm of possibility if Henson shows continued improvement in NFLE. Hometown boy going home to the Lions? Hmm...

I hope it doesn't happen because I believe Henson can succeed if the organization is patient with him.

What do you think?

Edit: When I first typed this post I forgot that the Lions just signed McNown. So maybe this kind of a trade doesn't make sense. :D
  7. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,025 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    What do I think? I think HELLS NO!

I think JJ and BP think the same thing too.
  8. BulletBob

BulletBob The Godfather

2,164 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    .:muttley:
  9. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Kffl Cowboys | Jones says nothing set up with Harrington
    Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:43:55 -0800

Mickey Spagnola, of DallasCowboys.com, reports although the Dallas Cowboys have received permission from the Detroit Lions to talk to QB Joey Harrington, Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones said "emphatically" he has not set up anything with Harrington, and that he "just didn't want to do anything just for the exercise." The Cowboys are one of seven teams to receive permission from the Lions to speak with Harrington. Jones said he has only recently spoken with team vice president Stephen Jones about considering Harrington, and that the team's pro scouting department did start evaluating him once it became apparent about 10 days ago the Lions were going to get rid of Harrington one way or another. In fact, any speculation the Cowboys are seriously interested in Harrington would be premature since Jones said, "But I really haven't talked to Bill (head coach Parcells) about it."

Ummmm.....
  10. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    SAY IT AIN'T SOOOOOO!!!!! :cry2:

Harrington is about the Sorriest excuse for a QB as I have seen come along in the first round in years...and yes...I do remember Couch and Akli Smith. I'd rather have Romo or Henson either one over this bust. At least with Henson and Romo we can hope...with Harrington we already know he sucks.

I would not have complained had we gone after Ramsey, or McCown, or Ferrotte, or Collins...but Harrington? Geeze, Jerry and Bill must be hitting the Tequilla hard these days...and the cheap stuff, not Patrone.

Thanks Cbz, I guess my panic driven rant was a bit premature. But God I don't want Harrington.
  11. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I have had a few rants Jack don't worry about....:)

I'm not going to panic yet.....now if JJ has him in for a few drinks and a chat then I will probably start to panic. :eek:
  12. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,361 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    After 4 years of starting nfl experience, the guy has only declined in performance. He is not much better now than when he came into the league.

I'm much more willing to take a flier on someone who at least doesn't have game experience, but may have potential. I think Harrington has pretty much proven that he has no talent. Despite the weapons he was surrounded by in Detroit he still was less than mediocre.

I honestly can't see him doing any better here.

He might be better out of the west coast offense, but I seriously doubt it =/.
  13. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,361 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    Only way I would trade for Harrington, is if we were getting one of their receivers in return. Either Mike Williams or Roy Williams to be exact.

Maybe something like Harrington/Williams (either of them) for Tony Romo and Greg Ellis.
  14. JackMagist

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ummm...NO

I wouldn't mind getting one of the WR's (especially Roy) but we have no need for Harrington at all and I would not trade Romo straight up for him.

I would trade Ellis straight up for Roy Williams (or maybe Mike but that's iffy) but that is a discussion for a different thread.
  15. littlewebs

littlewebs Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.

433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Trust me as a lifelong Ducks fan who watched the Akili Smith and Joey Harrington eras at Oregon. Akili was way worse than Joey. I honestly don't know what happened to Joey. I still think he has the skills to be a career backup, but when he was there, he was the Comeback Kid. He had like 12 4th-quarter comebacks in his career. Sometimes it just doesn't work out I guess. But the ESPN guys make him seem worse than he is.
  16. felix360

felix360 Active Member

1,142 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    He said almost the same thing about TO :laugh2:
  17. JackMagist

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think he needs ESPN's help in that regard. I don't know what he did in college but in the Pros he has done Nothing; and I'd rather he was doing it for someone else.
  18. johnnycomelately

johnnycomelately New Member

62 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is what Patriots fans thought once upon a time.
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,725 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Worse than Akili Smith? :huh:

Don't forget the great Heath Shuler...