1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys' Romo saved from costly mistake by Redskins

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by ZeroClub, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys' Romo saved from costly mistake by Redskins

• Associated Press
    • Published: Nov. 20, 2011 at 08:42 p.m.
    • Updated: Nov. 20, 2011 at 09:02 p.m.

LANDOVER, Md. -- Tony Romo's quarterback skills are spot-on these days. His knowledge of overtime rules? That needs some work.

link
  2. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,365 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I glad they caled the timeout also, I also forgot it was a 15yd flag.
  3. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,470 Messages
    238 Likes Received
    It would've been another addition to the Romo Legacy. How does he not know that we're out of timeouts, and how on earth do you let the clock run down like that on a FG attempt?

The team was an unprepared mess yesterday. It's nothing short of a miracle they won. They struggled all day just to line up and get a play off, and the D wasn't ready for the snap a handful of times as well.
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You have to know the timeout situation in overtime, big blunder avoided by Romo thanks to Shanahan calling timeout!
  5. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,287 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    I thought it was a 5 yard delay of game. Thats what Jimmy Johnson said anyway.

Romo holding kicks is ridiculous anyway.
  6. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    WIth McBrier hurt, Romo is the only one who can do it. It may be ridiculous, but it is necessary.

But Romo has to be more aware. That mistake could have cost us the game.
  7. jaybird

jaybird Active Member

643 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I think your all wrong!!! Romo had seen the Redskins had called timeout and was just informing the bench-coaches. He pointed towards the redskins after he gave the Time out signal. He probally shouldnt have used the T hand signal like he did but he wasnt calling a time out.
  8. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,575 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I could well be wrong, but if you don't snap the ball you would obviously be flagged for a delay of game and penalized 5 yards. Now, if you call a timeout when you don't have any I think that falls under unsportsmanlike conduct and is a 15 yard penalty. If I remember correctly, Joe Gibbbs during his second tour with Washington was flagged for a calling a timeout when he had none trying to ice the kicker. The resulting 15 yard penalty made it a chip shot resulting in a loss.

Craig
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,817 Messages
    701 Likes Received

I was curious about that myself but I figured he just lucked out there and then pointed to the Redskins side to say they got a TO.

I don't know either way and I don't care either way. The Cowboys won and that's all I care about in that regard. What could have, would have, whatever. I don't care about crap like that.
  10. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's weird because Romo admitted in a postgame interview that he was trying to call timeout, as well as not knowing how many timeouts the Cowboys had.

:rolleyes:
  11. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    That was my thought as well, thank gawd it didnt cause them to lose or that's all we'd be hearing about for the rest of the year, Romo has enuff of that crap on his resume
  12. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,827 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    These are the kinds of things that give Romo the "choker" label. But the coaches MUST help him out in situations like this. Romo got sacked 4 times. He easily avoided another 4 sacks. All of the TDs he threw were based on HIS ability...NOT the play call. Once again he is the holder. What am I trying to say? You have got to HELP him!!! The coaches cannot sit back like fans and WATCH the Tony Romo show. It would take 5 seconds before the kicking team takes the field to say "we do NOT have any timeouts"
  13. DC Cowboy

DC Cowboy Member

491 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    :bow: Tony should know but it is on the coaches to make sure everyone knows.
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,275 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    This has been discussed already. The refs will ignore the timeout call and with 3 seconds left it would have been delay of game which is 5 yards.
  15. bootyhunta

bootyhunta Member

490 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    This isn't as big of a deal that people are making it out to be...

If the Skins didn't call a timeout, then the refs would have just called a delay of game penalty. They have been instructed by the league to just ignore the timeout request when teams don't have one.

It was only 3rd down, so they could have run another play to try and pick up another 5 yards.
  16. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,402 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Stuff like this is why people perceive him as a choker. He lucked out for sure.
  17. DallasInDC

DallasInDC Active Member

1,849 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    In the official rule book it states that the officials are supposed to ignore the excessive TO call. If they inadvertently (i.e. the officials lose count) then it is a delay of game penalty. In the event the excessive TO is to "freeze" the kicker then it is an unsportsmanlike penalty.
  18. DallasInDC

DallasInDC Active Member

1,849 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    When I saw it I wondered if he was under the impression the TO that was initially called for the redskins and then reversed to the cowboys threw off his count of remaining TO's.

It would make sense if Romo saw the call but never got the reversal which would have led him to believe he still had 1 more TO left.
  19. jaybird

jaybird Active Member

643 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I havnt heard that yet. What I saw was Romo almost simultaneously
    Pointing at the Redskins, maybe he was covering up a mistake.
  20. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,402 Messages
    548 Likes Received

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._every_day/srvc=sports&position=recent_bullet