1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys rookie safety Matt Johnson gets epidural shot to help relieve his lower back

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    IRVING — Cowboys rookie safety Matt Johnson said his back is “feeling real good” after he had an epidural shot two weeks ago.

Rehabbing his strained hamstring a few weeks ago, Johnson injured his back while doing squats, he said.

“I was squatting trying to get my hamstrings better and went to rack it like I’ve done a million times and it just kind of gave out on me,” Johnson said. “I don’t know if I relaxed for a second or what.”

Johnson said the pain was in his lower back.

“ I got an epidural shot two weeks ago just to calm it down and rested for a couple of days,” Johnson said, “and it’s feeling real good.”

The Cowboys could really use Johnson right now. He’s missed most of his practice time while with the Cowboys because of hamstring injuries, but Dallas has kept him on its roster. On Sunday, starting safety Barry Church was lost for the season with a torn right Achilles tendon and starting safety Gerald Sensabaugh was inactive because of a strained right calf. The Cowboys signed Eric Frampton on Tuesday to add depth at safety.

“I just want to help the team out anyway I can,” Johnson said. “With Gerald [out] last week and Barry for the season, I would help the team out greatly right now. Obviously I want to get out there and prove myself but I want to help the team more than anything.”

Johnson said the hardest aspect of his rehab is being told to slow down.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...hot-to-help-relieve-his-lower-back-pain.html/
  2. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

2,467 Messages
    344 Likes Received

who cares what he said, his play shows effort and toughness and aptitude for the game at the highest level. nothing to see here.
  3. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    though many fans have written him off as weak, I'm patiently waiting for him to have a chance--like his attitude and football instincts
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    What play... You mean in college?
  5. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    Can he get a toughness shot while he is at it?
  6. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,847 Messages
    738 Likes Received
    To date, all Matt Johnson has showed me is that he can't stretch properly and can't lift properly.

I think S Troy Polamalu once said that he doesn't lift any weight over 25 pounds when training.
  7. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    So, you never tweaked your back doing squats? I must have done it a half dozen times over the years. Chiropractor always got me straightened out.

:D
  8. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The people making the comments are what they are internet tough guys.

I just ignore them it is idiotic statements and it is obvious they are just *****ing because he has not practiced or played yet. I expected the team to IR him by now myself we will see
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It's the same types would never stop talking about what idiots the Cowboys are if they released him and he went on to thrive for someone else a few years down the road.
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    I have too, but I've never done squats to improve my hamstrings.
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,609 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    I don't think that they were trying to get him to weight train on the injured muscle outside of the context of his rehab.

I don't know how much freedom he is allowed in what work he does but for a rehabbing player, I doubt it's overly much.
  12. stasheroo

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    No, I don't either, but it seems to me to be a contradiction to read about squats and rehabbing his hamstrings.

Seems enough for him to injure himself though.
  13. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Depends when I shredded my hamstring muscle after 6 weeks when the twinges went away. I could not run and I lost a lot of strength in my hamstring. Very possible if he had a Hamstring tear then he would need to rehab and strengthen the muscle in the leg.
  14. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,446 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    He will not play one down this year.
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

16,609 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    That's the spirit!

I like that one along with: "We're all going to die!"
  16. FuzzyLumpkins

16,609 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    If they did not want him doing squats then he would not be doing them is what I am saying. If he went freelance and hurt himself outside of the rehab program I would think that was a story.

I can just think of other possibilities rather than him being a snatch patch as to what his issue is. Maybe he is physically unable to hang. Maybe he's mentally weak. Maybe he doesn't know how to train. Maybe it was just an accident. Maybe he was working too hard. Maybe he wasn't keeping up in his rehab and then pushed to hard. Maybe it's something i don't know about because I am not there or privy to what is going on in his training.
  17. stasheroo

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    All fair questions, my comments were more directed toward squats being the exercise of choice for rehabbing hanstrings.
  18. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,446 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    We all are going to die
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    It's perfectly reasonable to do squats for your hamstrings...
  20. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,689 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I do squats when I can no longer stand up, but not for long. Squats lead to laying down.