1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys save season; Eagles finished?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Nov 12, 2012.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,654 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    This is what I hate about announcers/fans saying (at this point) a team is finished if it doesn't win this game.

Some here were saying that about Dallas before the Eagles game, even though New York's loss showed that wouldn't be the case since Dallas would have only been two games behind the Giants.

The announcers pronounced the Eagles dead Sunday after losing to Dallas even though they are only two games out of first place in the East.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to make these premature proclamations. Is it likely that Philadelphia is going to figure into the race? No, but almost anything is possible in the NFL. I don't think many saw the Giants losing to Cincy to put Dallas right back in the race for the division title.

I'd love to see a moratorium put on such statements, but I fully expect someone to say the season's over for Dallas if it doesn't beat Cleveland this week.
  2. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,022 Messages
    63 Likes Received

That's life in the NFL. Everyone reacts to the last thing that just happened

So if the eagles beat the skins and cowboys lose to the browns, then the media would say....."maybe the eagles can make a run"

Then if the eagles lose the following week to the panthers, the media will say..."Is this the end for andy reid?

The media in philly has called each other the last 3 eagles games a must win. Atlanta was a must win, the Saints was a must win, and the cowboys game was a must win.

That is what the fans and media do.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,229 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    Or "it is a must win game" always comes up.
  4. cowboys102030

cowboys102030 Member

285 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Well the problem is 3-6 is a very tough hole to climb out of. Most of the time at least 10-6 is required to make the playoffs, with 9-7 being feasable if you play in a weak division or the conference is weak. 8-8 is unlikely for a playoff appearance, and 7-9 playoff team has only happened once. The Eagles would have to go 5-2 just to make it to the 8-8 mark. 9-7 is possible to win the division again this year, and they'd have to go 6-1 for that. Not very good odds, given the parity of the league and how tough it is to get on rolls especially if you're bad enough to go 3-6 in the first place.
  5. CowboysFanSince88

4,022 Messages
    63 Likes Received

I won't say their season is over until they get their 8th loss since that cancels any possibility of having a winning record
  6. cowboys102030

cowboys102030 Member

285 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I agree, their season is certainly not over. But what if we were 3-6? From our point of view, the season would most definitely be over. The chance of running the table would feel impossible. Only three teams in the past few decades have made the playoffs after starting 3-6. It's not a stretch to call a team's season over after they go 3-6, but I also agree that it's not certainly true until the team has been eliminated. Nothing is over until it's over.
  7. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,924 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    The proclamations are opinions that it is highly unlikely that such and such a team will make the playoffs. If we lose to the Browns it means that the roller coast ride is continuing - win a big game, drop a supposedly easy one. Not a great formula for making a playoff run.
  8. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

1,451 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Uhhh...they are 3 games out, not 2.
  9. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,363 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I think the winner of this division may very well be 8-8. Looking at the Giants and Cowboys remaining schedules, I don't think either ends up better than 9-7. Then again this league is crazy, so anything's possible.
  10. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    The subtext to all this is that the Eagles were down two starting offensive linemen at the beginning of the year, that they lost Danny Watkins sometime prior to this game, and that starting right tackle Todd Herremens was lost for the season during the New Orleans game.

They lost 4 out of 5 starters on the OL. Vick was knocked out of the game and Foles played like a harried rookie.

The game result wasn't the cause, the game result was the effect of repeated and serious offensive line injuries that leave Philadelphia without the bodies to play competitive ball.

And of course, no announcer is going to say all that. They're going to assume you know it and use the consequences of the game as proof of the seriousness of the issue.

D-
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,148 Messages
    1,776 Likes Received
    but what if you have a pet peeve and want to ignore the facts? :)
  12. CowboysFanSince88

4,022 Messages
    63 Likes Received

If we can get to 6-5 by Thanksgiving night, then I don't think the Cowboys will finish with 8 losses
  13. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,825 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Mathematically the Eagles are not done. Realistically, they're done.
  14. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,894 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    Technically they are now 2.5 games out and if they beat Washington on Sunday then they will be 2 games out. Same goes for Washington if they beat Philly.
  15. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    There's a point at which the probabilities start to get silly. We still have a 1-in-4 or 1-in-5 shot of making the playoffs, which is very much still in the game.

Philly is probably sitting at 1-in-50 or so.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,678 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    So beat Cleveland and Washington...at home? That shouldn't be hoped for. That should be the expectation.
  17. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,385 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    I am not counting Eagles out unless they have 8 or 9 losses
  18. CowboysFanSince88

4,022 Messages
    63 Likes Received

I thought the same last year and both the Cowboys and Giants wanted the eagles to join them in the division race.
  19. CowboysFanSince88

4,022 Messages
    63 Likes Received

You and me both. I may shoot for 10 losses LOL
  20. CowboysFanSince88

4,022 Messages
    63 Likes Received

If they can get to 7-5 then going 2-2 in the final 4 games won't be a issue