1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Scout "QB Interest Is Sincere"

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Feb 26, 2011.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I had a chance to speak to one of the Cowboys scouts regarding the reported interest in the top 2 QB's in this class.

He was very adamant that the Cowboys all agree from the top down that with the opportunity they are presented this year that they have to take advantage of the situation not only going into this year but 10-15 years down the road.

He said, "you dont want to wait till your a poor team and need a QB before your in the position of taking one"

He made clear everything they are doing in an effort to decide if either of these guys are the type of franchise QB's that can take you into the future. He questioned to why in the world would you risk passing on that guy at any point.

He stated to the man the Cowboys know they blew it last year but it presents them with a unique opportunity right now.

I attempted to put him on the spot, I expected him to scoot the issue. I asked him straight up, could either of these guys be the pick at #9.

He fired right back, "once the process is complete, if we feel either of these guys can be the face of the Dallas Cowboys and take this team into the next decade we wont hesitate. This is not a game for us, we are not putting on a poker face. We are looking for a franchise QB. We look for a franchise QB every year. We have not been presented with this kind of opportunity sinse 2003. We must take advantage of it"
  2. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,994 Messages
    297 Likes Received
    He made clear everything they are doing in an effort to decide if either of these guys are the type of franchise QB's that can take you into the future. He questioned to why in the world would you risk passing on that guy at any point.

He stated to the man the Cowboys know they blew it last year but it presents them with a unique opportunity right now.

I attempted to put him on the spot, I expected him to scoot the issue. I asked him straight up, could either of these guys be the pick at #9.

He fired right back, "once the process is complete, if we feel either of these guys can be the face of the Dallas Cowboys and take this team into the next century we wont hesitate. This is not a game for us, we are not putting on a poker face. We are looking for a franchise QB. We look for a franchise QB every year. We have not been presented with this kind of opportunity sinse 2003. We must take advantage of it"[/quote]

===============

holy crap, they want to draft a guy that will play 80 years in this league? gimme some of that stuff please.......................
  3. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,173 Messages
    2,758 Likes Received
    Wow. Great info, SDogo. I don't disagree with approaching it that way either.

If they think one of the QB's is that great, then pull the trigger. I don't expect them to love any of them that much though.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,892 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    And thats a great mentality to have imo.

Also says they think McGee is a career backup.
  5. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    :lmao:

I need an editor, anyone work for chicken feed around here?
  6. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,143 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    i do not want newton at all. he looks like a one year wonder.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    I would say they are doing what they are told to do. Look hard and be sure. But that means nothing when it comes to making the pick. Since Jerruh and Red Ball will be doing that. Unless the guy is the second coming of Roger or Troy it ain't happening.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,892 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received

I don't think he is.

The NFL is using more and more spread and this guy is basically Big Ben with more ability.

Amazing Physically and has a tremendous work ethic.

If I were the Bills I would do everything possible to get this guy because of how he could play in bad weather.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,150 Messages
    1,119 Likes Received
    I think this is what any well run team should do, given our draft position. It doesn't mean you take the guy, but you better know what they are all about.
  10. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,806 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I agree...and if one of these QB's is that good, then they aren't making it to pick #9.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,892 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    They might.. We've seen that trend lately.
  12. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,485 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    Newton has crazy upside, I could live with that pick knowing that we'd be able to groom him and potentially have the 6'6 250lb version of Mike Vick when he's ready.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,189 Messages
    2,238 Likes Received
    They've had opportunities since 2003.

In 2005, they had pick #11 and they passed on Aaron Rodgers.

In that case Jerry was a rare star and prevented Parcells from making a huge mistake by taking Spears instead of Ware. So it worked out ok in the end.

I don't want them to take a QB but they do have a point. The opportunties are limited. I just went through the drafts dating back 10 years (2001-2010) and am shocked at how incredibly few QBs taken after the 1st round that have had an impact. Occassionally one slips through, but it's rare.

One thing I do get tired of hearing is the Rodgers example and how smart GB was. They were lucky. Rodgers was a toss-up with Smith for #1 overall pick, yet he fell to them. They were actually in the market for a QB because Favre was already 35 years old.
    Romo is 4 years younger, QB is just not near the pressing need for the Cowboys as it was for GB.
  14. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Personally, I think either the Bills draft Newton or another team will trade up to get him (Wash, Minn).
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I wouldn't have a problem with it at all if it's Newton. But I think he'll be long gone by then.

And that scout doesn't really have the say. Only one man does. And I doubt he wants to pass on a top defensive player or OT.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I seriously think in this case that Jerry is drumming up interest in Cam Newton. The Cowboys 9th pick becomes more popular if teams think there is a threat for Dallas to draft him.
  17. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,485 Messages
    650 Likes Received
    [youtube]pOa0BVBjMrM[/youtube]
  18. polinskijr

polinskijr Member

43 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It did not work out, not necessarily, anyhow; if folks remember, we also took Spears with the 20th pick in that draft; guess what? Right, Rogers was STILL ON THE BOARD (he did not go until pick #24). In retrospect, we could have had Ware at #11 and Rogers at #20. Food for thought . . . . . . . .
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,189 Messages
    2,238 Likes Received
    Yeah, good point.

Have to say that I'm fine with Romo and consider him a strength on this team. But getting Ware and Rodgers in the same draft would have been sick.
    Oh well, for that matter we and every other team could have had Brady for bascially free in 2000. Hindsight....blah
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    hindsight is a killer. It is rather convienently forgotten that a lof of clubs passed on Rogers. THere were good reasons that turned out to not matter. But he could just as easily ended up like Jumungous and Leaf and the rest of the early draft busts at QB.