Cowboys select DB Matt Johnson Eastern Washington

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dgr81, Apr 28, 2012.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Bull's good at that...
  2. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

8,074 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    Plus, he gets drafted to be the 5th safety on the team on the depth chart. Possibly even 6th if they play Scandrick there on some formations

:lmao2:
  3. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,847 Messages
    2,356 Likes Received
    He says he's healthy now.
  4. AdamJT13

15,847 Messages
    2,356 Likes Received
    Bob McGinn reported that one NFL scout he talked to ranked Johnson as the No. 5 overall safety. (Might or might not have been a Cowboys scout.) McGinn had him 14th overall at safety.
  5. jjktkk

jjktkk Well-Known Member

2,105 Messages
    260 Likes Received
    Did you not hear Garrett say, when they drafted Arkin, that he would need a year in their program, before Arkin is ready to contribute and compete for a position? or are you just a recent Cowboy fan, like rcently this past week?
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,284 Messages
    2,943 Likes Received
    This guy is a considerably better athlete than Brandon Taylor.

Maybe he's AOA part 2 but he has the measurables you want and collegiate production with double digit INTs.

What's clear to me is Dallas wants to attack on defense. They went after guys with great tackles for loss totals and coverage guys who make plays.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

9,846 Messages
    2,271 Likes Received
    Man, how can you guys not like this guy? He's smart, passionate, instinctive, makes plays and better yet, is extremely athletic.

He has the makeup and talent to succeed in the NFL, and considering his intangibles, why won't he? I have a feeling this is another Ratliff pick--one that is initially panned but when TC starts and ppl actually watch dude play, they sing a different tune. Just watch those highlights--guy can play, and is athletic enough to survive the NFL.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,821 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    The problem I have with the pick is how you can judge his instincts or toughness playing against such an inferior level of competition.

We know he was a good player in his conference, has good raw measurable on the Combine tests and has a propensity for injury.

I think he is going to get eaten alive by the big boys and the pick could have waited two rounds when highly rated big school in the trenches players were available.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

20,531 Messages
    5,681 Likes Received
    Because about half the fanbase thinks that thinking like rival team's fans think means youre a 'realist.'
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

20,531 Messages
    5,681 Likes Received
    The problem with this pick is that you have no idea who he is or seen him play while there were other players you have seen and are familiar with that you would have preferred.

You don't strike me as the day 3 meltdown type, eskimo. Whats up?
  11. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

2,119 Messages
    1,154 Likes Received
    You're coming off as a petulant child.

Watching the highlights the seemed to have a nose for the ball carrier and I'm sure Dallas knew of a team that might target him sooner than you think. Also just cuz he's not your choice or some websites BPA the Cowboys including coach Harrison liked him.

Personally I'm excited for training camp already.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

61,860 Messages
    13,954 Likes Received
    :fact:
  13. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Hey, I like the player. I still think we may have overpaid for him. But nice reel..

[youtube]ZE2X4YzuR20[/youtube]
  14. AdamJT13

15,847 Messages
    2,356 Likes Received
    He played in the FCS. It's not the FBS, but plenty of guys from the FCS and lower levels were drafted before him, and plenty of guys from the FCS and lower levels have been successful in the NFL (Ware, Romo, Austin and Carr, to name a few).
  15. kTXe

kTXe On To The Next One

1,541 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Like just about everyone here, I didn't know a thing about this kid before the pick was announced.

Gotta love what I'm hearing though. Stand-up guy that just loves to play football. And his measurables are incredible. A lot of things to like about the kid, and he mans a position that's a huge area of need on this team. I'll trust our scouts. I like the pick.
  16. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,824 Messages
    935 Likes Received
    Suffering a biceps injury likely dropped his draft stock.
  17. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,204 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Yes, because so many people on here watch the all 22 game films and know exactly what Garrett or Ryan are looking for to run the schemes that the Cowboys will run.

Let's be serious here, there were guys I wanted them to draft,but that is my opinion and only because I THINK they would do well for us. I watched YouTube vids And read Wes Buntings blog. That is the extent of my research, and I can pretty much say that is the extent of a lot of people's research on here.

I see so many people call these picks garbage or we could have gotten him as a udfa. If they think they can do a better job, get your resumes out and list out all their accomplishments and there are 32 teams out there for you to interview with!!
  18. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Most draft picks don't work out and this kid is probably no exception. What is becoming clear to me from this offseason is that Garrett is looking for high character, smart, tough leaders,, who will help, not hurt in the lockerroom. You see it in Connor, Vickers, Carr, Coale, this kid, the DE from Boise and so on. That bodes very well to me, whether or not this guy pans out.
  19. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,745 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    I hear he's like Bill Bates.
  20. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

2,142 Messages
    958 Likes Received

If he was going to be a free agent pick up I think we would have waited til the 7th round or later. Phil and Chicago also had a line on him. You never know.