1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys select DB Matt Johnson Eastern Washington

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dgr81, Apr 28, 2012.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    He said he received a call from Philly saying they were looking at him in the 4th or 5th. If we did not take him we were going to lose him.
  2. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

So does this make Philly a team that is inept at drafting too because they would have reached? :rolleyes:
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    It means Dallas liked him and so they drafted him. Where you think he would have gone in the draft is your opinion. Because some say he would have been an UDFA how do you know? Cowboys wanted a safety given the workout numbers he posted his measurable were as good. Because some fans do not know him means nothing
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

I know Dallas likes him, I actually like this pick. My comments were a quip at those saying that we reached on him.
  5. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I stand corrected then.

Hard not to overreact to that when it sounds like this guy came out a cave somewhere.

Of course I hope to god he works out for us cause as everyone knows, I'm dessssperate for safety help and been saying it all offseason.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,595 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    Happens every year that i can remember. Its like a dog when you leave the pit open.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,635 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received

I think AOA's downfall is that he wasn't smooth enough to be a corner and didn't have the experience (smarts?) to be as safety.

This Johnson kid has been a safety... A safety with good numbers.

He may fail also, but I think he's a much better fit for the position.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah, I wasn't pissed over this one much at all, now if you caught me right after we drafted Felix or TNew.......that was when I was pissed off....:laugh2:
  9. MichaelWinicki

32,635 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received
    He was known as hitter and not really a cover guy.

Don't think he was the athlete that Johnson is.
  10. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,164 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    i hope he pushes mcray off the roster. mcray has been here two years and has not done much. eager to seeing all the rookies this year in preseason.
  11. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,863 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    Honestly, watching the video he reminds me of a smaller Sean Lee. He seems to diagnose the play really quick and get to the ball. He also seems to always have his head up watching the ball. Reach or not, I am not ready to pan this guy.
  12. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know of one other team that picked before Dallas in the 5th that thought they had him. Won't say but you can probably guess.
  13. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Friend of mine went looking for info on this guy, and found a website of his that shows him to be an open source linux contributer.

So maybe the Cowboys can get some help from him on their website as well as at safety!
  14. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,502 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    The Big Sky Conference is better than you think, it could easily rival the MAC, Sun Belt, WAC, Conference USA, etc.

Eastern Washington only lost to U of Washington by a FG this year and Eastern finished in the middle of the pack in their conference.

There are plenty of successful NFL players in the league that played FCS ball.
  15. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The top schools in the Big Sky are BETTER than most MAC, Sun Belt, WAC and CUSA schools.....

Almost all of these kids where recruited by MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, and CUSA schools. The top FCS conferences, of which the Big Sky absolutely is the BEST play as good if not better football than the MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, and even CUSA.....
  16. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    No, it isn't hard not to overreact. If you don't think that you know more than the scouts, it is actually VERY EASY not to......
  17. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    WRONG, we have drafted as well if not better than alot of teams in the late rounds. What has hurt us is not our so called poor late round drafting. Our late round drafting has been pretty good. What has hurt us, is our inability to get difference makers, instead of solid players in the first two rounds.....
  18. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Most accounts where proven wrong....

Maybe you shouldn't use your draft guides as a bible, but instead just a source of info....

And maybe, just maybe you should consider that the Cowboys scouts and FO, know just a little bit more about where other teams rank players than your draft guides do....

Just because your draft guide doesn't know anything about a player doesn't mean he is a reach, it means your draft guide didn't do a good enough job researching players.....
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,605 Messages
    9,802 Likes Received
    I wish fans would stop with the maybe the Cowboys know better than you defense.

Maybe they don't. Maybe that's why they don't win. We're not talking about a team that has exactly earned the benefit of the doubt.

Those draft guides are thoroughly researched. They just don't think much of Matt Johnson's NFL potential. Maybe they'll be right and the Cowboys will be wrong like with Robert Brewster. Or maybe they'll be wrong and the Cowboys will be right like with Sean Lissemore.

But to suggest everyone was lazy and the Cowboys merely did their work to unearth this gem is foolish. They knew Matt Johnson. They just have a different opinion of him.
  20. MichaelWinicki

32,635 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received
    Yeah.

Time will tell one way or another.