1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

News: Cowboys shuffle scouting staff

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 14, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,514 Messages
    10,394 Likes Received
    Jun 14
    10:16
    AM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys are shuffling their scouting department and will promote Will McClay to assistant director of player personnel to work alongside Tom Ciskowski, who will be named the director of scouting, according to sources.

McClay has worked in the Cowboys’ pro personnel department for the last 11 years and added the director of football research title in 2012. He was the head coach of the Dallas Desperados of the AFL from 2004-08.

Ciskowski was named the Cowboys’ director of pro and college scouting in 2008 and had the title change to assistant director of player personnel in 2011.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4709677/sources-cowboys-shuffle-scouting-staff
  2. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    Translation...Will McClay is rising fast and just got a big raise. If we lose Ciskowski to another team at some point, McClay will be our guy. If we lose McClay to another team, don't be shocked.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

21,184 Messages
    2,140 Likes Received
    Another poor choice of headline.

We promoted Will Clay. That's about it as presented.

Will still runs pro side and Tom the collegiate side AFAIK.

That's not "shuffling".
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,418 Messages
    1,162 Likes Received
    Jerry getting back at Tom for the war-room disagreement.
  5. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    On the other hand, it does appear that Ciskowski has lost some responsibility. He had responsibility for the pro side before. Now he doesn't. Both he and McClay now report directly to Stephen Jones.

What I do not know is whether this means they are primarily demoting Ciskowski or promoting McClay, or for what reason. Or if it makes a difference. :)
  6. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    Ciskowski's duties aren't changing, just his title.
  7. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,918 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Success breeds vultures in the NFL. Ciskowski can't be our GM, so if a desperate team views our last few drafts as successful, we will probably lose our scouting personnel to other teams. It is the model that Jerry has created. The only think Jerry can do is match or beat another teams offer with more money if he really wants to keep someone.
  8. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,300 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Yeah, giving new job titles and increased pay can delay someone moving on but you can't completely prevent it.
  9. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,662 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Jerry is competing with WalMart and Microsoft money.
  10. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,233 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    If taking a card from the middle of the deck and putting it on top of the deck is considered shuffling the deck, then yeah, there was "shuffling" lol :)...
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

19,513 Messages
    9,979 Likes Received
    They will have to wait until the end of their contract to take another job.
  12. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

5,269 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    judging Ciskowski comments after the draft (and how Jerry basically picks and chooses when he listens to scouts) it is entirely possible Ciskowski might make move to more 'scout' friendly team. Promoting McClay is Dallas lining up the possible departure of Cisko.
  13. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Am I incorrect in stating that last year, Ciscowski's duties included supervision of pro scouting? It certainly appears that this year, they will not.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

21,184 Messages
    2,140 Likes Received
    Ciskowski is ALSO getting promoted.

This is much ado about nothing. Basically promoting both guys to pay them MORE because other teams covet them.

Will is already credited in the article with finding pro players off other teams. It is clear that was his focus and will remain so. Tom C will remain head of college scouting where you get 90% of your players.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

21,184 Messages
    2,140 Likes Received
    No card left the middle nor did any move to the top.

The top two cards both were given new names... that's literally all.

Off-season article alert.
  16. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I have no quarrel with what you are saying (or with Ciskowski, for that matter), but it appears that what he has gotten is a new title, perhaps more money, but less responsibility. Do you know if Tom has any new duties or responsibilities that he did not have before this restructure, which does appear on the surface to have diminished them?

I am not trying to make this into any great big deal or that it is some conspiracy to punish Ciskowski. I am also certain that McClay has done an outstanding job. But, it does appear obvious that McClay's gain is Ciskowski's loss.
  17. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    Correct.
  18. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,294 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    The Cowboys scouting organization....well front office in general.....is so screwed up.
  19. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,642 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Why would his title change if it means nothing?
  20. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    Why would you not post in almost 2 months, but feel the need to respond to me?

Duties and performance of them do matter. I would think a naval officer would understand that.