1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Cowboys sign Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and cut OL Daniel Loper

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dgr81, Nov 12, 2011.

1. dgr81

dgr81 Member

439 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. 7footer

7footer Active Member

1,185 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, I'm a bit surprised by this...But I guess with Holmes and Harris both dealing with hamstring issues he was the best option. I can't imagine that AOA's development as a WR has progressed very far, but he'll probably be used on returns if nothing else.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    With Austin out and Ogletree getting more work, I'd guess AOA will handle both the kickoff and punt return duties.
  4. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,018 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    Huh? I thought AOA was already on the practice squad, does he mean move up to the 53 man roster or do I not understand what signed vs practice squad means?
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,645 Messages
    9,846 Likes Received
    Signed to the active roster.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    That has to be the only explanation. I don't think he can be worse than Ogletree.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,521 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    On the plus side, they must like what they are seeing in his development.

The kid is smart and has great athletic ability so I hope he does well.

With Holland playing well and Dockery back we don't have to go so long at OL. Loper is an established vet so he doesn't have much developmental potential so I agree with this move.

The one thing I'm wondering about is Manny Johnson. They never seemed to think about giving him a call so they must have decided he was never going to be a player. He knew the playbook and could make tough catches so I thought he would have been a good emergency option.
  8. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    At what, as a kick returner or wide receiver.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can imagine AOA functioning as a WR by name only. I think he'll be returning kicks and likely playing on special teams units only.

Such a shame for a guy who was touted as a future starter by jblaze during training camp.
  10. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,361 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Poor Daniel Loper's been cut like twice since we signed him lol.

I'm surprised as heck to hear about this though, figured since he was a 4th round pick and didn't work out at safety meant he'd be cut shortly after the switch to wideout. Clearly this guy's a solid athlete, maybe it's just going to take him longer than some others to learn how to play football.
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,083 Messages
    3,061 Likes Received
    What this move tells me is that Matt McBriar is not ready for his kicking duties yet and Chris Jones will probably be our Punter tomorrow. I think they may need to IR McBriar before too long.
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,521 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    I suspect that is the best option.

If he hasn't had substantial recovery yet we are probably talking about a complex nerve injury that may require an exploration of the nerve and possibly some form of nerve transfer procedure which will require several months to see if recovery happens.

I wish I knew more about his form of injury so I could be more precise in what I tell you guys. They probably already have a reasonable degree of information on the severity of his injury. My guess based on the decision not to IR him already is that he has a focal demyelinating type of injury which often can have a very good recovery. Now since he hasn't shown much recovery in the past 3 weeks he'll likely need about 3 months or so to recover which means IR makes most sense.

It doesn't make sense to me to run him out there in a brace with a footdrop as he is likely to incur a significant ankle injury if he has to try and tackle someone.

Just IR him and hope he recovers for next season.

We can then have another roster spot to try and develop an OL by stealing one off of someone's PS. We made this same move last year for Geathers and Parnell if my memory serves me correctly. Both made the roster this year and Parnell is contributing as the swing tackle on gameday. I think Geathers makes the roster next year and puts Coleman on the streets.
  13. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,888 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    EXACTLY! I really liked how Manny played this pre-season. He looked the most reliable out there. Is he still a free agent?
  14. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,607 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I wonder if Loper is paid by the hour?? LOL
  15. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,888 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    Day laborer
  16. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    I thikn the flexibility of a guy that can play DB and possibly if needed step up and play WR is a good thing. Plus w/ the WR situation, I'd rather have him doing returns than Ogletree
  17. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,961 Likes Received
    They should go ahead and IR McBriar. Bring up Orie Lemon for the rest of the year.
  18. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,607 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Agreed! :bow:
  19. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,649 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Ok, I know he's a punter, but I don't want to IR McBriar.

He's the best punter in the league, and seems that whenever we need to pin the other team deep, he simply boots one 60 yards or so.

Plus, we saw how important a punter can be after he went on IR in 2008.
  20. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

627 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Especially given a nerve problem, I think McBriar is heading for IR. I doubt he has just a stinger-type injury that's going to be fully healed in a couple weeks.