1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys sign DT Drake Nevis, release Jerome Long

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tayloner182, Sep 23, 2013.

1. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,627 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    I loved Nevis at LSU. STUD........Very quick and needed to play in a 4-3.
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,963 Messages
    1,522 Likes Received
    Plug 'em in and see what they got!
  3. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,133 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Churn baby churn.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,280 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    Love it, this approach to the bottom of the roster is something we haven't seen much.
  5. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

2,367 Messages
    916 Likes Received
    Hasn't Arkin been playing much better this year?
  6. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,648 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    I'm no scout and don't pretend to know exactly what the experts look for. But I would be surprised if Long is the cut here. He doesn't look ready at all to immediately help....
  7. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,161 Messages
    915 Likes Received
    He's domoted from starting guard no matter what. Similarly, he's ahead of Arkin no matter what. Broaddus' man-crush on him is so extreme that I wouldn't put it past him to take a guess at who gets cut by thinking, "What's best for Bernadeau?"
  8. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,627 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Just a thought. But Cowboys signed Bosworth right before we played the Giants. Chargers cut Nevis last week, and we're heading to SD. SMART or COINCIDENCE??
  9. cwbyfan72

cwbyfan72 Active Member

894 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    dudes got a motor that's for sure.
  10. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,493 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    Garrett is doing it this way since he took over as HC.

And i too like it. Its the way it should be done. Especially when you preach the competition mantra like Garrett does.
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    I hope its a bit of both. And Nevis could take reps behind both Hatcher and Hayden. But he will mostly backup Hayden at 1 tech I would imagine. Is Nevis really 310 now?
  12. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    I don't know much about him but I've heard he was a beast in college and never panned out in the pros (like Selvie). As solid as Hayden has been playing, he's really the only starter on the DL who doesn't give consistent pressure. Maybe they're trying to see if Nevis can take over the starting spot in a month or so (if Ratliff never returns).
  13. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,545 Messages
    1,057 Likes Received
    Not likely.

Nevis, when he played at LSU, was between 280 and 290 pounds. I don't think that gaining weight was the best thing for him. He did it in Indy when they switched to a 3-4 last year, and he was asked to play NT.

He would be most effective as a reserve, where he can play full tilt for 20-25 snaps, and he won't wear down.
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    He'll likely backup both spots but he's suppose to be a pass rushing 3 tech. He has a really quick first step.
  15. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    Really quick first step is inconsistent with "out of work"
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Colts drafted him to play the 3 tech, same defense as Kiffin's then they switched to a 3-4 and finally released him, Chargers picked him up and they also run a 3-4. Wrong defense.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,929 Messages
    7,681 Likes Received
    Broaddus thought Costa would end up being a good fit for this scheme, too. Problem is, he's a C only, and now a backup C, and you've got two players alongside him who play OG, too. It's hard to justify the roster spot for a single-position backup.

Still, there are teams out there who could use a C. Costa should be a tradable commodity. I don't really see them adding another DL at the expense of an OL at this point. It wouldn't outright shock me, but I'd expect they juggle the DL positions again if they were to bring in another guy they wanted to take a flyer on.

I do love how we churn our roster in-season, though.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,992 Messages
    4,513 Likes Received
    That's just not how he feels. He understands Bernie's issues but is no different than Callahan in seeing the potential to be a very good power guard. Tweet him and ask him something short like what is the major issue with Bernie. I'll bet you if he answers he'll say his feet. He may say inconsistency but mostly its his feet.

Bernie's inconsistency and his salary may very well get him released at some point. Here are his contract details: 3/14/2012: Signed a four-year, $11 million contract. The deal included a $3.25 million signing bonus. 2013: $715,000 (+ $1.535 million "signing" bonus), 2014: $2.25 million, 2015: $2.75 million, 2016: Free Agent. At some point he has got to be more consistent and make himself worth his contract although he's not that expensive.
  19. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    You'd think teams would be good judges of who would fit their defenses. What with scouting departments and such
  20. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    And Edgar Jones played for Kansas City weeks earlier. Curious