1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys sign DT Drake Nevis, release Jerome Long

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tayloner182, Sep 23, 2013.

1. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,575 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Well with Nevis and newly signed David Carter, we have our 2 backup DT's. Meaning Caesar Rayford can stay at DE. So our DE's now are Ware, Selvie, Wilber, Rayford, Jones. That's 5. Doubt we add any more.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,052 Messages
    2,290 Likes Received

Good call. He's a solid canidate to bring back.
    jobberone and Nirvana like this.
  3. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
  4. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,400 Messages
    1,358 Likes Received
    That's a scary depth chart though.
  5. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    true, but now, rayford can play DE, which I think he is better suited at,

Dallas Cowboys sign Drake Nevis
    September, 24, 2013
    Sep 24
    10:43
    AM ET
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com
    IRVING, Texas -- Five days after working him out, the Dallas Cowboys signed defensive tackle Drake Nevis on Tuesday, according to a source.

To make room for Nevis, the Cowboys released defensive lineman Jerome Long, who was among the team’s final cuts but re-signed on Sept. 7 and played in the first three games. Long did not record a tackle in limited playing time.

Nevis was cut last week by the San Diego Chargers, the Cowboys’ foe this week. He was a third-round pick by the Indianapolis Colts in 2011 and in 14 games over two seasons he had 35 tackles and a sack.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,181 Messages
    4,615 Likes Received
    I would like that.
  7. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Actually, its 6 DEs right now - including Spencer. And I doubt that Cowboys carry 5 DTs when Rat comes back either.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,211 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Does that mean Hulk Hogan finds a new favorite team????
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
  10. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,282 Messages
    710 Likes Received

I still cannot believe the Colts cut him,he was playing well in the pre season.
  11. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,686 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Looks like he may offer some value as a pass rushing DT.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    There was a thread posted a while back from a Colts message board and their fans were irate. Gotta give the Cowboys FO props for getting him in here.
  13. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    l agree, very surprising cut based on his plays during the preseason, Colts must have very good DTs.
  14. Sb or Bust

Sb or Bust Active Member

217 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Open spot will be filled by player cut by Broncos. 1st we signed a giants player cut prior to our game against them, now a player the chargers released one week before we play them. I'm beginning to see a pattern
  15. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-03/scouting-report-lsu-dt-drake-nevis

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011dnevis_greg.php

He sounds like a perfect fit for the new scheme.

He also sounds like the RKG.
  16. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,575 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    5 healthy DE's. 1 injured DE who soon will be put on IR.
  17. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    not that anyone replied to my post but if anybody saw it and was wondering here is the sign in question and it does not have nevis, I think I was thinking of Sam Montgomery

[IMG]
  18. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,864 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    At the 3-tech he looks pretty rambunctious. Definite ability to be a B-gap menace. There is an attitude about him. In the mold of Sapp ... about the same physical stature iirc (6-1 / 290 - 300). Can he play the run though? I have read a few negatives on his run defense but he definitely gets quick penetration, confiming his quick first step, not unlike Lett. He was a standout at LSU so he's been forged against good competition. If the Kiffinelli-Lett triumverate can't turn this guy into something I would be dispondent and decidedly disappointed. He has innate talent that is palpable.
  19. BaybeeJay

BaybeeJay Active Member

448 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Two Colts cast-offs now on our team. Both of which their fans liked. Wonder if those fans are right.
  20. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,864 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    "The 3-technique tackle is in short supply because few players leave college with the right mix of strength, explosiveness, technique, and durability. Systems like Tony Dungy's rely heavily on 3-technique tackles to disrupt the interior of the offensive line. For most defensive coordinators, heaven is a 3-technique tackle who is in the backfield on every play, a 0-technique tackle who requires two blockers and controls two gaps, and a pass rushing end (7,8,or 9 technique) who also requires a double team on every play."

So ... Ware - NT - UT - Selvie

Hatcher is listed at about 300 and you would like a little more heft as a nose tackle but he has been by reports flopping back and forth between 1 and 3 technique. With the addition of Nevis and the questionable return of Ratliff, Kiffin could stick Hatcher at the 1 technique [next to Ware] and use Nevis at 3. Now that would be an interesting line: Ware - Hatcher - Nevis - Selvie

This situation would make double-teams a hazardous choice on passing downs, assuming Nevis can be the disruptor he has been said to be.