1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys sign Will Herring OLB Saints

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by kjcmeb, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,230 Messages
    5,475 Likes Received
    Correct.

But again, we are signing players opposite of how practically every other team is doing it.

It is like we want to corner the market on the dregs that usually are how you finish free agency.
    snapper likes this.
  2. Alexander

25,230 Messages
    5,475 Likes Received
    Even if you have paid a lot of attention you would really have to be watching a lot of exhibition or trash time football to see many of them play.
  3. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

908 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Shouldn't we be reaping the benefits of that 09 draft now? I mean most of those guys should be hitting their prime right now. Where are they now? Hmmmm

Shouldn't be having to find special teamers if we had hit on those picks.
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    lol, I understand how it looks to the average fan. They're having fits right now watching the big names go elsewhere.

However, astute fans see that they aren't overpaying for age and are making smart, low key signings that are better for the overall health of the franchise.

Most fans hate it though.
    K-Mart and car351 like this.
  5. Alexander

25,230 Messages
    5,475 Likes Received
    Smart low key signings are typically what is done deeper into free agency. Not in the first 72 hours.

We went a couple of weeks before we signed Durant last year and it was understandable and low risk.

But even last year, you could reasonably say the available "starting" roles were few and far between.

Right now, we are dangerously close to having to depend on the draft to replenish four starters on the DL.

That is a problem. I don't care that they have not signed any big names, but this talent on the DL cannot just depend on the draft. And it will if we continue to be as inactive as we are.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,636 Messages
    5,549 Likes Received
    The 2009 draft was a bad draft for a lot of teams including the Cowboys. This topic has been debated repeatedly since then. Your post is simply trolling. Please try to stay on topic.
  7. MikeT22

MikeT22 Active Member

413 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    THE WILL HERRING????? OMG!!!!!
  8. snapper

snapper Active Member

259 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Come on, Alexander. Jerry Jones has to prove he is great at something as a GM.
  9. Alexander

25,230 Messages
    5,475 Likes Received
    I doubt he is signing these players to try to appear smart.

If so, he is really really doing it wrong.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,574 Messages
    2,950 Likes Received
    It's incredible.

A week ago "cut Ware! Let Hatcher walk! Don't overpay anymore!"

So we don't overpay and try and load up on potential talent that can contribute, and they whine about PRECISELY THAT WHICH THEY BALLYHOOED ONLY SEVEN DAYS AGO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    OhSnap and big dog cowboy like this.
  11. udas

udas Active Member

115 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Im not sure if anyone heard but were tight in cap money.. Cowboys will continue to wait for prices to come down then fill needs later with older veterans that can be affective rotational players. However this exactly what we expected and I wouldnt expect any signings above a 3 million a year deal.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,663 Messages
    5,818 Likes Received
    It is irrelevant now. If those players had been great they would cost as much as equivalent free agents because they would be on their 2nd contracts now.
  13. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,107 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    Pretty much no way you can win here. You overpay someone and we say 'Ol' Jerry is never going to learn that throwing large contracts at players = 1 playoff win'.

You stay out of overpaying guys and now it's 'Ol' Jerry is never going to learn that not throwing any money at decent players = 1 playoff win'.

The signings we've had are for depth, not starters. That's also why they're not getting paid that much.
    OhSnap likes this.
  14. Alexander

25,230 Messages
    5,475 Likes Received
    I get that. And honestly if we get a few starters before free agency is over, I will laud the Joneses for their restraint and cunning.

If not, and we take this roster, right now, as it stands (or even with more of the "depth" from free agency), and try to go into a draft? It will be horrific.
  15. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,107 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    One thing's for sure - our draft better be one for the ages. If we're drafting a TE in round two, my remote will be tossed over the fence.
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Well, personally, I don't care if they signed them now or in two weeks. They are low cost either way.
  17. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,877 Messages
    977 Likes Received
  18. Alexander

25,230 Messages
    5,475 Likes Received
    And like I said, if they turn around and get a starter or two (or well even one, I am not greedy), I would be fine with the bargain basement approach and I would actually applaud it.
  19. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Yeah, I agree. I think they probably do get a starting quality player in FA at some point. They have plenty of room to do it.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,636 Messages
    5,549 Likes Received
    You mean FA isn't over yet?