1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys still have hopes disappointing Claborne can be a top cornerback but time is running out

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, May 17, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,838 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    That Morris Claiborne has been a disappointment in two years with the Cowboys that no one on the staff tries to sugar coat things anymore.

He was billed as the best cornerback prospect since Hall of Famer Deion Sanders. The Cowboys thought so much of him they traded up in 2012 to take him with the sixth overall pick.

Claiborne has responded with two injury plagued seasons, featuring just two interceptions in 25 games played, while losing his starting job to former nickel cornerback Orlando Scandrick.

But while the Cowboys have been disappointed, secondary coach Jerome Henderson said no one in organization is ready to give up on Claiborne.

"Obviously when you draft a guy that high you want him to be your guy," Henderson said. "Again, we hope he becomes that guy.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ck-but-time-is-running-out.html#storylink=cpy
  2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,230 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    I think the team is starting to come to grips with the fact that he is a bust. They are using words like "we hope" when talking about if MO is ever going to be a top corner. Doesn't sound like they are very confident.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,014 Messages
    3,930 Likes Received
    Really? I took the opposite from Henderson's comment: that they like him as a player but he's out of injury time and needs to show it.
    Fletch, jobberone, AKATheRake and 4 others like this.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,184 Messages
    3,012 Likes Received
    I didn't see that from those comments.

They appear to be taking the next man up approach. Claiborne either steps up or he doesn't but either way they're moving forward.
    DCBoysfan likes this.
  5. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

587 Messages
    343 Likes Received
    Hasn't Claiborne been hurt in each of his first two training camps? That might have something to do with his sub-par play, too.
    OhSnap likes this.
  6. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,695 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    Evidently, Mo is busting his tail to get stronger and have more durability in the process. At least, Jerome Henderson credits him with doing as much. It'd be a shame to see that 1st and 2nd round pick go to waste on a guy who's a bust. We'd all best hope Jerome isn't wasting his time and ours hoping for something that isn't destined to happen. I'll surely be pulling for Claiborne to succeed.
    Cowboy06 and Fletch like this.
  7. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,211 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    Honestly, what do you expect him to say? When was the last time anyone in this organization did anything but blow sunshine up everyone's back side? If he can't get it done this year, he should be shown the door. We can only hope that he figures it out.
    jnday and PA Cowboy Fan like this.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,816 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Kind of hard to believe something like that when he has had two different DC's and he has been hurt in both of his training camps. I don't think that's what those comments say at all....but I do think your opinion is along the lines of how fans think of MO.
  9. Idgit

28,014 Messages
    3,930 Likes Received
    They haven't blown sunshine about Claiborne. The guy lost his job I year two. Or with Carter, who's in the hot spot. Or Austin, who was cut.

Football teams generally try to be positive or neutral publicly. It's part of building a culture, but Dallas hardly goes out of its way to pump sunshine. You just need to take it in its public context.
  10. Section444

4,211 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    I respectfully disagree. Jerry Jones sells sunshine like no other, and people eat it up.
    jnday likes this.
  11. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

1,824 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    LOL! The kid is in his 3rd season and was injured coming into each of his first 2 seasons. Funny because every game he actually played it seemed our defense played well enough to be in the game. Especially the last game of the season when nearly everyone in the Zone figured Philly would kill the 'Boys since Romo was out and the D was horrific. Also, the 1st Philly game where their vaunted offense couldn't get off at all. When all three CB's were present.....Dallas was actually decent on defense. Go figure!

Can't wait for the season to start so Coach Rod and Coach Kiff can use the CB's like Seattle uses theirs. Press man with mixed safety coverage behind them instead of a straight Tampa 2. Sure hope the fans are actually paying attention to what Coach Kiff referenced yesterday regarding Seattle's progress from year one to year two to year three. Sounds to me that Dallas may actually use the CB's the same way Coach Carroll does in Seattle since it fits their skill-set. Mo....you have my support and belief. Knowing your agent well not withstanding.....
    bkight13 likes this.
  12. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    what is this pumping of the sunshine mean?
    OhSnap likes this.
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,631 Messages
    3,524 Likes Received
    I see what you're seeing. The language has definitely changed. Steven Jones has been much more stringent in his comments about Claiborne.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,838 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    I agree. Your position coach should be your biggest proponet. It isnt coming through here.
  15. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Active Member

273 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    so sad we wasted a second on him that could of brought good player hope he works out but it don't look good
  16. Section444

4,211 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    What sucks is that in that year, there were some damn good second round picks.
  17. Idgit

28,014 Messages
    3,930 Likes Received
    Sounds pretty supportive to me.
  18. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,223 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    There really aren't that many that have stood out so far. Considering we just picked up the #22 overall pick(Weeden) from that Draft for nothing, I would say Claiborne is far from a bust.
  19. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,406 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Claiborne is sadly a huge bust. This will be his 3rd year and I just don't see anything changing from his previous 2. Hopefully I am wrong but i think not sadly.
  20. ehcrossing

ehcrossing Well-Known Member

610 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    Did they say they would play press man coverage?