1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys still have hopes disappointing Claborne can be a top cornerback but time is running out

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, May 17, 2014.

1. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Some good players indeed, but it is a misconception that janoris Jenkins has been very good, or really any better than Claiborne for that matter.
  2. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,204 Messages
    751 Likes Received
    Jenkins had a rough year last year, but he was awesome his rookie year. He'll get it going again. He has shown far more than Claiborne has, and the Rams didn't pay anywhere close to as much.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,836 Messages
    5,416 Likes Received
    If you know anything about football, you knew that trade had no chance of succeeding.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,330 Messages
    2,734 Likes Received
    People tend to get real vague or say nothing if they don't want to lie. What is it with some of you that you discount everything when its not for you point of view and hinge on every word when it does?

The guy has been a major disappointment. Saying they are still hoping it becomes a good DB is not something no one has been avoiding saying. Every fan should hope he plays better. We need him.
  5. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Jenkins had a pretty rough year last year and that was with one of the better pass rushing teams in the league.

His first year he made some big splash plays but wasn't a very consistent player, got burned a lot.

Claiborne made few splash plays but rarely got burned his rookie season.

I think it's just preference on who had the better rookie season. At this point I don't think you can definitively say one is better than another.
    adbutcher likes this.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,214 Messages
    1,308 Likes Received
    Actually, that's a Coach Landry thing that both Jimmy and Bill learned. Still amazed at how smart Coach Landry really was.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,214 Messages
    1,308 Likes Received
    I think he's in the wrong scheme Jobs. He would be much better playing for a Man Press team but I agree. Here is to hoping that he adapts and overcomes.
    jobberone likes this.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,330 Messages
    2,734 Likes Received
    I agree. I hope he can learn to play some zone but I think we need to used some mixed schemes.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,945 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I was too young to remember Coach Landy's quotes/coach philosophies, I'll just take you for your word LOL
  10. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,269 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Huge busts are Todd Marinovich. Tony Mandarich (sp?) Ryan Leaf. Tim Couch. David Carr. Those are huge busts. Claiborne still has a shot. Let the season play out.
    w8lifter likes this.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,972 Messages
    3,916 Likes Received
    I really think the plan is to play a lot more man than people might be expecting in this defense. We went over this in the thread last week where Sabin (?) said the team was myopic in switching defensive schemes last year, but Marinelli reiterated-again- yesterday that he likes his current group of CBs in man (obviously, we'll mix coverages, but it's pretty clear to me, at least, how the DC looks at the position group).

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multim...d_In_Man/78342e40-a0bd-484f-a617-d9acff590330

Also some good stuff in there about the WIL/3 tech combo in this defense.
    adbutcher likes this.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,972 Messages
    3,916 Likes Received
    Yep. People are weighting his year last year too heavily. Huge disappointment, I agree with. Huge bust, I think, is an overreaction at this point.
    adbutcher likes this.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,840 Messages
    1,622 Likes Received
    Marinelli using more man coverage should help both Carr and Claiborne.
    Sure would be nice to get big contributions by two of the players that we pay (via wage or draft picks) the most.
    Could be huge.
    adbutcher and Idgit like this.
  14. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,496 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I am glad that I am not the only one that saw that.

Mo is a talent, I was very surprised when I found out we drafted him. He will prove a lot of the naysayers wrong this year.
  15. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Sounds like alot of "hoping" to me.. i agree with the poster who said they don't seem very confidant in him anymore.
  16. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,603 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Two for one sales always fail.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,577 Likes Received
    I still believe in Claiborne I would also say he has not lived up to the expectation but does not mean he is incapable of turning things around. I think the guy has the skills to be a very good CB in this league he has find a way to avoid injuries and play with confidence in his ability. Dallas was not the only team who saw the talent in Claiborne. I'm not going to make excuses for him, it is his job to go out and perform at a high level and any heat he is catching is justified but I do believe in this guy.
    adbutcher likes this.
  18. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,196 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    For me, it's hard to say anything definitively about an individual player playing on an historically bad defense. Throw in some injuries and counterproductive defensive scheme changes and you've got some pretty solid reasons for failure. The fact that he's rarely flashed any greatness is troubling though.
  19. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,597 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    The probelm is I would say Carr is on a similiar leash. Carr may have been better than Claiborne, but clearly he has not been worth his contract.