1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys sure look like they are laying groundwork for Gruden hire

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by USMarineVet, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    He worked for Davis. That's got to be worth something.
  2. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    The more I think about this situation...

Perhaps, Gruden would coach the Cowboys...unlikely but still a chance.

Gruden is very particular about his QB's and needs a particular type of QB. Perhaps, Romo is not the guy.
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,356 Messages
    1,335 Likes Received
    Gruden loves Romo and he does not hide it. I think Romo and Gruden could work well together.

Tony is a QB who needs a strong-willed coach to reign him in and Gruden could be that guy.

I'll always wonder...what if Parcells had more time with Romo, would there be a different story today?
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    Sure. And some people say he won with Dungy's team. Some say he won b/c he had Kiffin's great defense.

I've heard these things said on this board about guys like Tomlin. Why does it not apply here?
  5. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,114 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    This makes no sense. He beat the team in the SB that he built.

So basically he got two teams to the SB.

He also was strapped with draft picks if I remember correctly in Tampa as when they got Gruden they had to surrender picks to Tampa. Thats a big loss for any coach.

At any rate, I wish Jerry would just do us all a big favor and 86 JG and get Gruden now. The experiment is over.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,702 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Probably because just before that he also took middling team and made it into a Super Bowl quality team.
  7. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,796 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Because he also had the Raiders on the doorstep of the SB with a team he built himself. He also has a resume of decades of working with some of the best offensive minds in the game. And because he has a reputation around the league with players and coaches as a terrific gameday HC.

People who say he just won with Dungy's team are just ignorant. If the team was so awesome, why didn't Dungy win with them? Didn't he have Kiffin's great defense too? Why did the Glazers blow two draft picks to get Gruden from Oakland?

The guy is a good football coach. Maybe not the best ever to put on a headset and certainly not HOF material or anything at this point, but a proven, veteran coach who has shown he can win. That's miles and miles ahead of anything Garrett has shown to date.

Anyone arguing nonsense about Dungy's team or Kiffin's defenses (and guess what, if he came here tomorrow or next year he would have...wait for it.... Kiffin's defense!) are just making excuses to knock the guy, and whatever Tomlin's situation is has absolutely no bearing on anything about Jon Gruden.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    Guys Mike Zimmer will be our next Coach.
  9. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,665 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    :bang2:

OMG! What is happening around here?
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Callahan also took the Raiders farther than Gruden ever took them. In fact, Rich Gannon ... who you didn't put in the category of "decent" earlier in this thread ... won the NFL MVP award under Callahan. So, I guess we're getting a better offensive mind than Gruden as the OC just promoting in house.
  11. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,796 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Wake me when they make him HC.

p.s. - Hire Gruden tomorrow and we have both - and probably one of the best coaching staffs outside of Foxborough.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    You keep thinking about it. I know Gruden would coach the Cowboys. All it takes is a phone call and the right deal for him.
  13. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

972 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    so your solution to replace an inexpereicned first time head coach.. with another first time head coach? Awesome.
  14. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,665 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    Gruden loves Romo's play. Now, your crazy-eyed coach that had RG2-1/2 running around like a chicken with his head cut off...Gruden would not have let that happen, neither would Garrett.

:cool:
  15. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

972 Messages
    97 Likes Received

he's prolly one of those posters who believe no big name coaches would work here :rolleyes:
  16. AbeBeta

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    Sure. And he also took a SB team and led them to 7-9 and 5-11 seasons right after that.
  17. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,187 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Plenty of delusional fans in this thread.
  18. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    He wants to convince the board of that. Fat chance. I can't remember a single head coaching candidate they've gone after that rejected the offer.

Don't focus on Gruden wanting to come here. Focus on whether Jerry will want him. That's a much better question.

I don't buy this backdoor route to Gruden. If he wanted him, he's have hired him first. There's no need to be sneaky about it. Makes for a good read though.
  19. AbeBeta

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    All I'm sayin' is that for an offensive genius, it seems odd that in TB, he never managed to have an O that ranked better than 18th in points. The defense over and over was outstanding.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    Not what I want to happen.