1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys sure look like they are laying groundwork for Gruden hire

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by USMarineVet, Jan 25, 2013.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,869 Messages
    1,470 Likes Received
    Not sure you're saying anything.
    This weird rant you are on is just goofy.

Gruden wasn't a GM in TB; he was a head coach. He got the most out of that offensive talent. Guys that did jack squat for other coaches played well for him. TB simply lacked talent. He lacked a decent QB, RB and had mediocre WRs. That was a talent poor team on offense.

The defense had the pro bowl/hall of fame talent and the offense played well enough to win.

Before he ever hit TB he was great in Oakland with an offense he helped build from the ground up. Yes, Callahan ran it well after Gruden left. But it was still the same basic offense. In fact Gruden ran the scout team QB for the SB because the offense was so little changed.

Gruden basically got two groups to that game.

Since Gruden left TB they have had 1 winning season.
    Since Gruden left Oakland??? 1 winning season!!!!!
  2. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,727 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Dungy had Sean King at QB. At least Gruden had a decent Brad Johnson (before his arm went to Jello). But yeah, to say Gruden wasn't a good coach is just stupid. He did build that Raiders team that Callahan took to the SB. Of course, getting to play against your old team, where you know the offense inside and out is kind of a gift.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    After winning the Superbowl, he went 45-51 at Tampa.
  4. Picksix

4,727 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman
    When Rob Ryan, Eberflus, Henderson and Ben Bloom joined the Cowboys staff... did anyone say: "Setting up nicely for Mangini to coach here?"
  5. LOBO7

LOBO7 Active Member

329 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I think JG knows these guys and and thinks if they can deliver a defense close to what Tampa was rolling out then we could become A very dangerous team. Jerry may see it as a win win. if Garrett fails and as Risen Star said Gruden would be happy to be the coach of the Dallas Cowboys, his staff will be in place.
    I think the real stratgey though is to win now with Garrett.
  6. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,411 Messages
    1,020 Likes Received
    As I pointed out in my post earlier Tampa gave up two 1st round picks and 8 million to get Gruden. Sounds like a Jerry move. But how did you expect him to build anything without a QB and no 1st????
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Wow. Gruden got to the AFC Championship game with Rich Gannon, and won the Superbowl with Brad Johnson. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.
  8. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,150 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    Who is our offensive coordinator? Our special teams coach?
  9. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,801 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    Richie Whitt ‏@richiewhitt

Jon Gruden and Jerry Jones together in Frisco tonight? Can't be. Can it? #Cowboys
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received

Gruden for GM!
  11. Picksix

4,727 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    My point was that hiring a bunch of former Mangini assistants didn't mean Jones was setting things up to make him the head coach, so hiring a bunch of former Gruden assistants doesn't mean he's setting things up to bring Gruden in.

Not quite sure what your point was.
  12. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    Gruden won't be coming here, at least I don't think so, saying that, he is no Mangini, he has a ring and that makes all the difference in the world.
  13. Galian Beast

9,150 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    It's natural for a defensive coordinator to hire his own guys, but going further we have hired the bucs special teams coach, and we have hired gruden's offensive coordinator.

I mean, I'm not saying we'll hire gruden next year, but it's the most likely scenario given a collapse by Garrett.
  14. SilverStarCowboy

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Even though it won't be Garretts' fault?

Everyone living outside the "cowboys homer box" in the world of football knows that Jerry Jones is the one losing the team by undermining the Head Coach in the first place.
  15. Picksix

4,727 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Yeah, I know. But I can't get my around the idea that Jerry is secretly (or not) plotting to hire Gruden to replace Garrett. As involved as Jerry is, it doesn't make sense that the two would be working together, pretty much day in day out, with that kind of arrangement. Garrett's not stupid. And I can't believe he'd be cool with the idea that he either does something special this year, or his replacement is just waiting in the wings with everything set up for him to take place.

I don't trust Jerry any further than I can throw him, but to intentionally set something up like that in the face of your current head just doesn't wash.
  16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Pure poppycock. That TB team would have beat any AFC team that year. That defense was one of the best ever and the offense was good enough to win a championship.

Dungy needed a HOF QB like Manning to win it all, Gruden took Dungy's D and an average offense and won it all, in dominating fashion.
  17. Galian Beast

9,150 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    Happened with Wade Phillips...
  18. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    people keep throwing that out like its the same thing.....it not

JJ hired Garrett as OC , then hired Wade...meaning wade had that info and was OK with it or he wouldnt have taken the job.....Jerry has never fired an entire staff except for the HC and then hand picked replacements and forced them on that HC....and thats not whats happening now....

it seems hard for some to grasp but Garrett is just as involved with these hires as JJ is....
  19. SilverStarCowboy

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received

yes it seems very hard to believe that and if you do ...well I don't know what to tell ya!

:lmao:
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,824 Messages
    7,552 Likes Received
    I believe it, too. In fact, I find it odd that you don't.