1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys sure look like they are laying groundwork for Gruden hire

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by USMarineVet, Jan 25, 2013.

1. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    So did he forget how to coach in TB? Or maybe there were other circumstances like a lack of draft picks, budget and a QB that were an issue?

And we could get into the circumstances why with TB ad nauseum, including crappy ownership and bad GMs. But the bottom line is he is a ridiculously more qualified head coach than the extremely inexperienced guy who hasn't won a darn thing we have there now.
  2. wileedog

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    And he had a HOF QB, even one on the downside of his career.

And his last game was one of the most humiliating blowouts in playoff history.

There's more than the coach involved.
  3. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,246 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Give me examples of head coaches that in their third year have "experience". Lol. You wouldn't hire anybody but people who had "experience". Also name a coach who has won a Super Bowl at two different locations.
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,518 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    This might be relevant if included Mangini's OC and ST coach.

It isn't unusual to see defensive or offensive staffs stick together. VERY unusual to hire 3 coordinators from a coaching tree elsewhere without one of those guys in charge of the hiring.

As is it is a very weak point and a large stretch.
  5. wileedog

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    I didn't want to hire a coach with no experience in the first place, so the question is pretty moot. Not with this team and the age of most of its key players.

So it will never ever ever ever ever happen, right?. Plenty of coaches BTW have just missed like Holmgren, Vermeil, Parcells, and Reeves. Its only a matter of time before someone does it.
  6. cowboyeric8

5,246 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Only a matter of time when a new coach does it as well. So yours is moot as well.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,518 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    No he didn't do mostly terribly. Please stop with the over the top nonsensical drama.

Gruden had 6 seasons after the SB in TB. In that 6 seasons he was over.500 3 times. Something Garrett has yet to do even once.

Gruden had a couple terrible seasons that lower the win percentage when his starting QB was Griese and Gradkowski respectively.

His final season TB went 9-7 but they were 9-3 and sitting pretty until Kiffin's defense allowed 30 ppg over the final 4. That was why they fired the staff.

If there is a knock on Gruden is that he hasn't been part of accumulating talent. He certainly didn't leave TB loaded. But any thoughts that he can't coach are just goofy beyond words. He clearly can. He has the record and Ring to prove it.

Jerry was at a gathering tonight with Gruden in attendance as well according to Mike Fisher. Probably nothing to it because they both know the new ST coach but there is a heck of a lot of smoke around Gruden and the Boys.
  8. wileedog

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    Uh, no.

Your argument was that we shouldn't hire a guy who has already won a SB because no one has done it twice for different teams. Saying that its only a matter of time till someone does, pretty much takes away your argument.

However I CAN argue that a guy who has already won a SB is more qualified to coach the team and has a better chance to win another SB than a guy who was barely a coordinator for any length of time before becoming a HC, and has yet to win a playoff or any other meaningful game.
  9. cowboyeric8

5,246 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    No my original argument was that you have to give a young coach time. But you completely disregarded that.

Young coaches who don't have "experience" have won their first Super Bowl with a team 100% more than an already Super Bowl winning coach was my other argument.

Anyway it's pointless to discuss because Garrett is here to stay. All that I ask is be patient. Have a nice night.
  10. wileedog

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    I did because, again, I think a young coach was the wrong fit for this team.

And dozens of new coaches every year fail to win anything. I don't think that particular history is statistically worth anything given the sheer number of new coaches who fail.

Agreed, I don't think Gruden is hired this year. We can both hope Garrett proves me wrong this coming year and he never is.

You too, man.
  11. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,497 Messages
    406 Likes Received

:umm: not batting .500.

A bad start...0-4 or 1-5 would be very trying on poor Jerry, he might have to make a move. Poor guy thinks he's playing Checkers in a Chess Game.
  12. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,476 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    Please -- after the SB he was over 500 three times. Twice with 9-7 records.

he also rocked 7-9. 5-11, and 4-12 seasons.

All that happened in this final year was that the defense couldn't bail out his crap offense over and over. For an offensive coach, he sure looked terrible on that end in TB. Even with his hand picked GM

I'm not saying he can't coach. But having seen him up close in Oak for many years, I know that he's more personality than coaching substance.
  13. cowboyeric8

5,246 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Want to make a bet that he won't have either of those records?
  14. DallasJ7

DallasJ7 Active Member

497 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    that's such a silly straw man from eatman. as if anyone was seeking out mangini to be their HC, whereas jon gruden is still a highly coveted HC prize, regardless whether one thinks he should be.
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    You really have to wonder how bad Gruden would have been in Tampa had Kiffin's defenses not bailed him out.

Tampa Bay NFL Ranking in Points Per Offensive Drive

2003 - 15th
    2004 - 24th
    2005 - 22nd
    2006 - 30th
    2007 - 18th
    2008 - 19th

However, they did rank 1st every year in the all important "Coaching Growls and Glares Towards the TV Cameras".
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,476 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    So Gruden has called the hiring shots since last year?
  17. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    How does hiring a bunch of coaches give you the idea that Gruden is coming in? Wouldn't he gut the coaching staff and fill it with his own guys?
  18. wileedog

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    2003 - 15th QB Brad Johnson (age 36)
    2004 - 24th QB Brian Griese
    2005 - 22nd QB Chris Simms
    2006 - 30th QB Bruce Gradkowski
    2007 - 18th QB Jeff Garcia (age 37)
    2008 - 19th QB Jeff Garcia (age 38)

Bill Walsh couldn't make salad out of that chicken****.

Well at least our guy has the "Icing His Own Kicker" ranking all sewed up.