1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys tied for 3rd in the NFL for homegrown players

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by perrykemp, Sep 5, 2013.

1. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    Saw this on ESPN today. I see this as a good sign that the Cowboys (specifically the Front-Office) have adopted a philosophy and building from within, player development, and generally emphasizing the draft and the UDFA market as opposed to expensive Free Agents to build the team.

I think this year we see it pay dividends.

Article Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/83464/inside-slant-push-for-homegrown-players

2013 Week 1: Indigenous Players

Number of players on teams' rosters who have not appeared in a regular-season game for another team. Updated through Monday night.

Team

No.

Packers

Falcons

Texans

Browns

Cowboys

Rams

Patriots

Ravens

Dolphins

Vikings

Bengals

Saints

Eagles

Steelers

Bills

Giants

Jaguars

Seahawks

Panthers

49ers

Titans

Buccaneers

Raiders

Jets

Broncos

Chiefs

Chargers

Bears

Cardinals

Colts

Redskins

Lions

Average

Source: Elias Sports Bureau
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  2. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

7,989 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Packers having 50 is craziness.
  3. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Active Member

1,273 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I don't really see any direction corelation between the good teams and bad teams. At least we're doing it the "right" way I guess. But yeah essentially the whole Packers team is homegrown. That's crazy.
  4. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,645 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Its funny the reputation we have is Jerry always goes out and buys players......
    OhSnap likes this.
  5. Zordon

Zordon Infinite Crab Meats...

8,247 Messages
    2,973 Likes Received
    Is this by choice or by force since we have very little room to spend anymore.
  6. rocyaice

5,645 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    When have the Cowboys ever bought free agents though? Cowboys always have had homegrown talent for as long as I can remember. A few exceptions of course like Deion, TO, Ken Hamlin, Leonard Davis.....
  7. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,714 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Lol...too funny...
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,951 Messages
    1,848 Likes Received
    Purging the roster of overpriced FA's the last couple of years has really changed the makeup of our roster. Add better drafting to the mix and eventually it will pay off in another championship.
    perrykemp likes this.
  9. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

2,993 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    The only star player we have from another team is Brandon Carr.
  10. CapnCook

CapnCook New Member

16 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    And Tank Johnson, and Adam Jones, and Kyle Kosier, and Marc Colombo, and Keith Brooking, and Zach Thomas, and Roy Williams, and Montrae Holland

There was awhile there where Jones was FA/trade happy.

The trend is definitely changing.
  11. rocyaice

5,645 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    That's like 10 players out of the thousands of guys that have come through here since the 90's lol. Cowboys have never been free agent happy.
  12. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

1,740 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    All those teams with the most home grown talent do have something in common, they're all very good teams or on the rise to becoming good teams. Coincidence? I don't think so.
  13. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

13,671 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    Interesting stat and kind of surprising due to our front office's reputation. It just goes to show you have to analyze things for yourself. The hype is usually misleading.
    OhSnap likes this.
  14. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,325 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Those numbers aren't quite right, or maybe just not updated. Dallas has 15 players who aren't homegrown, although three haven't technically played for anyone else. With a 53-man roster, that means we have 38 homegrown players. If you count the ones who've only gone to camp with other teams or been on other teams' practice squads, it's 41.

Of those players, six are starting Sunday: Carr, Allen, Durant, Selvie, Hayden, Waters or Bernadeau (so only one on offense, and two of the defensive ones because of injury).

The others are Kyle Bosworth, Landon Cohen, Edgar Jones, Kyle Orton, Caesar Rayford, Ernie Sims, Andre Smith, Darrion Weems.
  15. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    I think the criteria used is has a player ever taken a regular season snap for another team. If not, they are considered developed by the team (ie homegrown).
  16. gimmesix

8,325 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    I updated to show that we have 41 considered homegrown by that criteria, and 38 if you consider players who've only been with Dallas.

This report might have been done before we acquired Rayford.
  17. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,323 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    They were under Parcells, you just forget the bad ones, Peerless Price, Eddie George, Scott Fujita, Testaverde, bad times. Glenn, Key, Furgason, Akon Adele, Marco Rivera, must be like half a dozen safeties I'm forgetting. Vanderjagt, jaysus was he a bust.
  18. gimmesix

8,325 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Yes, Parcells strongly believed in bringing in stopgap players and Friends of Bill.
  19. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

489 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    Not to mention the fact he went for Wisconsin center Al Johnson in the second round in 2003 when the scouts were screaming for Jason Witten; who luckily was still around in the third. But that's a debate for another topic....
  20. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

2,949 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    It was definitely a different story shortly before Romo and in the early Romo era. Remember when we had Bledsoe throwing passes to Terry Glenn? Vinny Testie before that. Then we added TO. I think we had another free agent vet WR. The whole OLine up until recently was free agent vets, aside from Gurode. Romo was a diamond in the rough--before him it was all free agents. RB has been pretty homegrown as much as I can remember, aside from the Eddie George experiment. Our safeties have always been vet free agents, from Hamlin to Sensy to the short-lived experiment with the ex-Jet (forget name), now Allen. CB has pretty much always been homegrown, aside from Carr (good signing). We ran through a lot of vet LBers (even now), but the future looks bright with three homegrown talents in Lee, Carter and Holloman. We ran through a lot of stop gap DLmen. Overall, I like the recent trend of becoming homegrown, young and cheap. Keep up the good work.