1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys to restructure Carr's Contract

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by mortboy, Feb 14, 2013.

1. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,407 Messages
    1,613 Likes Received

Why wouldn't he? It isn't hopeful thinking, and it is pretty common around the NFL. If the money is the same but he gets more up front in a signing bonus that will be prorated, why on Earth would he not?

It happens all the time. He won't be asked to take less money, it will just come in the form of a signing bonus.

The team wouldn't do that with someone who could get paid and stop working like Haynesworth... but with a guy like Romo, you can be sure he will still be working hard.

As far as the player is concerned, they all like the money up front. Why wouldn't they?
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,572 Messages
    4,139 Likes Received
    Romo's other option would be to play out the last year of his contract, 2013, and then get Franchised for a year or two. By then, he would be 36 and unlikely to get any big offers. In the meantime, he will have been playing on a team that could have pushed some of his money into later years of his contract and used the cap space to get some Free Agents. Some of the Free Agents might even be Offensive Linemen.

FYI - The 2013 Franchise tag for QBs is 14M and should be similar in 2014.
  3. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,420 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Abe I hear ya on doing you own simple math in order to not ask stupid questions but I don't think you understand Adam's expertise on this specific information. We can do all the math we want but Adam, with unquestionable accuracy, judges our cap better than any of us or the the ignorant ESPN analysts.

That is why Adam's name is called on in these posts. Don't get me wrong, I hear ya on the simple math stuff, but the cap is trickier than that and if you could see some of Adam's posts, I think you would agree with his accuracy and ultimate authority on truely understanding these manners. I'm an econ major and Adam has helped me on many occasions in understaing the intricacies of our real cap situation. Listen to him, not the outside sources.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,355 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Sure -- but that attitude has people ignoring posters who are providing outstanding information and analysis. The whole "I won't listen to anyone but AdamJT" thing gets tiresome and it prevents people from actually using their brains.

Others may not have the information that Adam does (I suspect he's got access to some sort of privileged contact database) - but does it really matter if you get an estimate that is perfectly accurate vs. one that is very solid but not exact?
  5. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,420 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    That is a good point Abe and posters shouldn't be "1984'd" to rely on Adam to form any opinions about our cap situation and player releases/restructurings. Just from my general browsing of posts, it does seem we have wiggle room on the credit card, and we can all see that without Adam pointing out the exact savings and spending money we may have available for FA's, not concerning Spencer yet anyway...I guess it is easier to posture with correct cap number. Though we rarely sign any FA's the forum covets...exception being Carr last year, we have landed on some unexpected draftees(Lee, Carter, Bryant) that the team will covet for a decade if they are smart.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,572 Messages
    4,139 Likes Received
    Abe has been a Cowboys Zone member since 2004. I'm sure that he has seen all of Adam's previous work.
  7. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Is there a team that does more restructuring than us? Every off season it's like at least three guys we edit the contracts of. Why don't we nip the problem in the bud and stop paying these guys so much?
  8. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,282 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    That's a good point. Being cash-rich gives a team more creative ways to deal with the cap. And like you say, it' always possible to abuse that and end up with too much dead money. But used smartly, it's potentially an advantage for teams like Dallas.
  9. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,282 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    Well, the obvious answer is that in addition to being Cap Friendly, the team has to figure out how to make it Romo Friendly, probably with plenty of upfront/guaranteed money. It should be possible to get both those done (the Saints did it with Brees in a deal that was cap friendly at the front end of the deal and gave him huge guaranteed money), but probably at the expense of some potential dead money down the road.
  10. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,355 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Likely tons of teams use the same planned restructure approach. There isn't a problem being addressed here.
  11. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Dead Money? I saw this article and was surprised by what it says about the Cowboys dead money issue? Roy Williams and Marion Barber are still counting against the cap? The only team with more dead money than the Cowboys is the Colts because they released Manning. :eek:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Dead-money-disasters.html

Dead Money Disasters
    Dallas Cowboys ($30,378,408-Dead Money; $134,232,826-Adjusted Cap)
    The Cowboys are paying for contract mistakes made several years ago. Most notably are the contracts that were signed by Roy Williams and Marion Barber.
    Barber received a seven-year, $45 million contract (with $16 million guaranteed) in 2008 as a restricted free agent without having a 1,000-yard rushing season or being an every-down running back. Even though Williams and Barber haven’t played for the Cowboys since the 2010 season, they are currently counting $8.75 million and $4 million, respectively, towards Dallas’ cap. The same holds true for Leonard Davis ($4,166,670) and Marc Colombo ($4.05 million), who was also part of the 2011 roster purge once the lockout ended.

12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,527 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    I think it's pretty much a given he's gonna extend. The cowboys aren't going to cut him loose w/o a contingency plan and they need to free up money this year anyway.

He'll end up making MORE money this year then what he's scheduled to make, but he'll cost less against the cap.
  13. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,432 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    Stop paying so much? If your goal is to be the Cleveland Browns then that's the way to go.
  14. speedkilz88

20,432 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    That's last season. Both were cut after the 2010 season and made June 1 designated cuts to split their cap hits in 2011 and 2012.
  15. BlueStar3398

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Ok. I was just trying to find out about the dead money and cap hits because I didn't really understand it. So how much dead money for the 2013 season?
  16. BlueStar3398

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Ok. Thanks! Good to know.
  17. speedkilz88

20,432 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    These are what spotrac shows. (unknown accuracy) But cutting guys like Free will make more. Ron Leary and Danny Coale are listed because they were cut after training camp (coale inj and ir'd on ps) and have been re-signed to new contracts since.

DEAD
    Danny Coale WR
    Shaun Chapas FB
    Bill Nagy C
    Levy Adcock T
    Ron Leary G

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap-hit/
  18. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    That's how I see it playing out too. Ratliff is on this team unless they draft a DT in round 1.

I only see 2 players on this roster that can be counted on to be starting DTs in the NFL, that's Hatcher and Ratliff. If we were to cut Ratliff and not draft a starting DT then we'd have something like Spears/Lissy fighting for a starting job in training camp and that's just not good. So Ratliff stays unless the 1st round pick is a DT.
  19. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Terrence Newman was listed as a June 1 cut, right? So aren't we still eating half his contract in 2013?
  20. speedkilz88

20,432 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    I think you're right, because I think they had to wait until after June 1 to use his money to sign draft picks. Spotrac must have missed it.

Found this on adamjt13's blog (he doesn't have any recent ones)

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/