1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys Trivia For You

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

880 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Collin Ridgeway
  2. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

880 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    charlie Waters
  3. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

880 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    for a season is Harvey Martin with 23 in 1977.
  4. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

880 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Offensive lineman Herb Scott
  5. TheProphet

TheProphet Benched

728 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Which Cowboy player, prior to the Super Bowl against the Steelers, said, "Bradshaw is so dumb he couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the C and the T."
  6. TheProphet

TheProphet Benched

728 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great job. Also had 9 sacks his rookie year and 113 career sacks - all Cowboy records.
  7. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,675 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    Now that you have that one right.....Who was the FIRST player picked by the Dallas Cowboys....The year before Bob Lilly was drafted?
  8. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    You're half right.
  9. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Yep. It was Meredith about Walt Garrison
  10. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    The first player(s) the Cowboys ever selected happened March 13, 1960. There were 12 other NFL teams those teams froze 25 players on their roster. The Cowboys had to choose 3 "un-frozen" players from each team. Once given the list of players they could choose they had 24 hours to decide which players they wanted. This gave them 36 as a starting point to build upon.

To my knowledge who they chose first has never been known. If you do know and could verify it I have a reason why I'd like the info. If I had to guess which of those players was first I'd say either Jerry Tubbs or Eddie LeBaron. That is merely a guess though.

The Cowboys were also not permitted to Draft any players in 1960, though they could trade future draft picks for players. This was how they acquired Don Meredith of SMU. He was drafted in the 3rd round by the Bears.

The rest of their squad had to be created after the other teams waived players. It truly was a team of cast offs.

Walt Garrison, in his book, Once a Cowboy, described how bad that first team was by saying that "the Cowboys highlight film, and the NFL blooper film were the exact same film. They just changed the labels before shipping it out."

As bad as they were though, 7 of the players on that very first team were elected to at least 1 Pro Bowl, or named All Pro during their careers. A testament, to me at least, that Tom Landry flat out knew what he was doing.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,427 Messages
    765 Likes Received

And the next season(1961), Dallas still did not get to pick first over all. The new expansion franchise Minnesota Vikings were given the #1 over all pick and Dallas was #2 based on their record the previous season. Dallas traded the pick and with other trades finally picked #13 and took Bob Lilly.
  12. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,023 Messages
    1,357 Likes Received

Hollywood Henderson.
  13. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,537 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    what was our very first draft pick postition? and why were we at that position?
  14. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,224 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    no and he was only 2 of 3 that sad day
  15. TheProphet

TheProphet Benched

728 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Excellent.
  16. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,675 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    Right on the money,hos! I'm with you on Tubbs and LeBaron,and something sticks in my mind that it was Tubbs,but I don't have any proof. I at first thought it was Eddie LeBaron,but the cowboys getting a LB first just sticks in my mind. Too many years have passed,Hos. I think you and CBZ40 know what I mean. I tell ya what,though...The names and faces just seem to meld together into one big blur. Some things you don't forget though,like trips to the Cotton Bowl to watch the 'Boys....."Hayes to the right,Rentzel to the left,Meredith is back to pass"...The division games with the Browns and Jimmy Brown....Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer...Roger Werli and Pat Fischer...Jackie Smith killing us,both in and out of a Cowboys uniform...Listening to Cowboys games on Armed Forces Radio Network at godawful hours of the morning,but listening nonetheless(Maybe thats why I still don't mind catching the games on the radio)...Tommy Loy and his trumpet....so many more that have faded from memory. The only constant,for all these years,is never wavering from being a 'Boys fan, no matter what the record!
  17. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wish I had some Crazy Ray trivia, but aside from his real name, there's not much to work with.
  18. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,010 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    :laugh1:
  19. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Man, what a great post!
  20. deerssur

deerssur Member