1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowboys want a lineman

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, Apr 24, 2011.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,158 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/article/Cowboys-seek-cornerstone-lineman-1350185.php

Cowboys seek cornerstone lineman
    Two options are ready to join offense now; two have big upside.
    By Tom Orsborn
    torsborn@express-news.net

Analysts project the muscular Smith as a top-10 pick. If the Cowboys select Castonzo, Solder or Carimi, it likely would be only after they trade down in the first round.

“It's really a question of what you are looking for,” ESPN's Todd McShay said. “Are you looking for a guy who physically can come in and play right now? Are you looking for a guy who has the athleticism to develop into a left tackle, or a guy who is just big and strong who you can plug at right tackle? You kind of have four different cases.

“With Smith, you have all the tools, but he maybe needs time to reach full potential. Castonzo is ready to play now at left tackle, but he may never be elite. Carimi is ready to play now, but he lacks some of the athleticism Castonzo has but is stronger and more physical. With Solder, he is just massive, 6-foot-8, long arms, moves well. But he is going to need technique work.”

Most analysts believe Smith is high on the Cowboys' board after head coach Jason Garrett and offensive line coach Hudson Houck attended USC's pro day. The 20-year-old junior was the only prospect Garrett watched work out this spring.

“Castonzo is probably the most NFL ready, and Carimi is right behind him,” McShay said. “But five years from now, Smith should be the best of this tackle class.”

Smith played right tackle for the Trojans, but scouts believe he could slide over to the left side after checking in at his pro day at 6-5, 310 — 25 pounds heavier than he played at last season.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...cornerstone-lineman-1350185.php#ixzz1KRa2M6Jn
  2. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In Smith, they have the option of taking a player who projects as a future blindside tackle, and he's in a perfect spot in terms of value, having risen all the way to No. 9 on the big board,” Kiper wrote.

Bingo
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm going to come out of the 1st round happy either way..

The Cowboys are not looking at any players besides Solder that I really have an issue with.

Trade up for Peterson-My favorite option
    Take Tyron Smith at 9-my 2nd favorite option
    Trade down and pick Watt or any of the other OT's-my 3rd favorite option and quickly becoming my 2nd favorite based on the possibilities.
  4. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Trade down and pick any of the other OT's-my 3rd favorite option and quickly becoming my 2nd favorite based on the possibilities.

this is my FAVORITE
  5. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,268 Messages
    315 Likes Received
    This is my exact order as well.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,169 Messages
    1,296 Likes Received
    Castonso or Smith. No one else for me.
  7. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,158 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Thanks to the person who fixed the formatting I appreciate the help As I could not make it look good
  8. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just see my SIG, I'll be happy with any of those scenarios honestly...