1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Cowboys will NOT draft a pass rusher in the 1st round

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Mar 14, 2012.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,474 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    No sources or anything, just a hunch.

Jerry has said on numerous occasions that he wants his first round pick to play and basically start IMMEDIATELY. Upshaw nor Ingram would start over Spencer. The only possibilities in the first round are a defensive end or an offensive guard. Here's how I see the draft going right now:

1st round: DE/DT Fletcher Cox
    2nd round: OLB Ronnell Lewis
    3rd round: OC Philip Blake
    4th round: CB Dwight Bentley

In the late rounds, I think we'll target the following positions:

tight end, safety, guard, defensive tackle

The fact that the Cowboys are working out all these veteran guards in free agency, tells me they won't be spending a high pick on one. I hope I'm wrong because DeCastro is a blue chipper who would make an immediate impact. I just can't see Jerry drafting an OL two years in a row, even though it SHOULD happen.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,662 Messages
    2,098 Likes Received
    At 14 it will be one of these four : Brockers, Cox, DeCastro or Poe
  3. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,760 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    Replace Brockers with Still and i like it.
  4. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,027 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    In the 3-4 it isnt worth going NT in first round because the guy wouldn't start over Ratliff and they wont move him to end. Decastro all the way.
  5. TheSport78

8,474 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Out of those four, who would you feel most comfortable with? I'm taking DeCastro and Cox.
  6. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,760 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    Poe doesn't have to play NT.. he could very well play DE in the 34 like Ngata in Balt.
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

8,077 Messages
    700 Likes Received

Liking Brockers and Poe better for this squad, but would be happy with your choices as well.

After those four count Still as a good choice that makes five.

Go ahead and add Upshaw, Ingram and Mercilus to the mix as well..... not to mention Coples who should be gone by #14.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,100 Messages
    2,585 Likes Received
    Any hunches on what the team thinks of the OLB from Boise?

I know SDogo likes him but can't remember if he's mentioned the teams take.
  9. TheSport78

8,474 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Shea McClellin I think is who you're talking about. I haven't heard anything directly, but I know he turned a bunch of heads at the combine. It seems like he's a riser who could fall in that mid to late 2nd round range.
  10. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,119 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    bryan broaddus says he thinks we will draft a DL first round

i am thinking possibly so, why ?

last year we had 2 top players in 1st rd, tyron smith OT and J J Watt

u know results, watt went to houston 2 picks later and had a monster yr

i think jason garrett wants to beef up offensive and def line

and u get those kind of players early and jerry said we need to get a pass rusher
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,100 Messages
    2,585 Likes Received
    Yeah, talking about him.

Really wish Dallas would get a little interested...........

Thanks anyway.
  12. TheSport78

8,474 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    I do think pass rusher at the OLB position will be addressed in the 2nd round though. DL or OG in the 1st round...
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Cox and Lewis are pass rushers
  14. TheSport78

8,474 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    They would play different positions in Ryan's scheme though.
  15. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    No cox would be a DE and he can get to the QB. Lewis would be a hard hitting LB and if you ever seen him play then you would know, he can also get to the qb
  16. TheSport78

8,474 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    I was strictly talking about from the OLB position. The Cowboys won't draft an OLB in the 1st round. Is that better?
  17. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Yeah it will be hard to avoid an OLB or a CB in the second round with the current status of both Spencer and Jenkins.
  18. bpfred

bpfred Member

101 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Despite pretty much every draft projection having Coples being gone by 14, he is a player I suspect may drop.

He didn't have great production last year. If you listen to him talk, some people may perceive him to have great confidence--other may perceive him to be arrogant. I think he comes across as having an IQ of about 85--IMO, he's not the kind of person you want to send in front of the microphones too much. Whereas if you look at some of the other guys projected in the top 10, Luck, Griffin, Blackmon as examples, they come across well when speaking.

Further, there may be more offensive guys taken than most projections expect. There could be three QBs, two WRs, two OTs, and an RB.

Coples doesn't fit the Cowboys scheme, but if he were to slide, it could make for an interesting conversation. He would certainly be able to help with the pash rush, and could be moved around ala Tuck.
  19. TheSport78

8,474 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Brockers and Poe are really growing on me, although there's a chance that neither player will be on the board when the Cowboys pick.

DeCastro is almost certainly rated higher on Dallas' board than Fletcher Cox. On the flip side, this is an extremely deep guard draft. We'll see if Dallas sticks to their board...
  20. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,076 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    I want DeCastro first, if not, Cox. There is a lb I really like but don't remember how to spell his name - Krushly (embarrassing).