1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

CowBuzz: Boys’ To Wear Navy Jerseys This Weekend

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Doomsday101, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    For the first time this season, the Cowboys will don their navy jerseys on the road this weekend versus the Chargers. We are continually asked why the team doesn’t wear navy more often, so here’s a little history lesson.

The late Tex Schramm started the tradition of the Cowboys wearing white jerseys at home in the 60’s. He wanted to give Cowboys fans the opportunity to see the different uniforms of visiting teams from around the league instead of seeing all visiting teams in white jerseys. There is also the belief that Schramm created the white jersey policy because so many of the Dallas games were played in the sweltering heat of the Cotton Bowl and there was a competitive advantage for Cowboys when the visitors had to wear dark jerseys in the hot Texas temperatures.

Every season, around late June, the home team for each game submits what uniform they are wearing and the visiting has to wear the opposite color way. The Cowboys opt to wear white at home and most of their opponents chose to wear their home colors leaving the Cowboys in white on the road for most games.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowbuzz.html
    nake likes this.
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,572 Messages
    1,711 Likes Received
    Good. They should wear them every week.
    Spectre and lane like this.
  3. Mookie

Mookie Active Member

279 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    I like wearing whites 95% of the time, and navy blues only every so often. It makes those particular games that much more interesting.

On a side note, Charger fans are used to wearing navy blue at home, and since we are America's team and we will be the ones wearing navy blues, it will somewhat feel like a home game. (I doubt many of the Chargers fans will know that the Cowboys will wear blue anyways.)
    Nav22 likes this.
  4. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,470 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Disagree. We're America's Team and we do things our own way. I'm cool with the whites nearly all the time.
  5. SDCowboy85

15,572 Messages
    1,711 Likes Received
    What does being America's team have to do with what color jersey we should wear? lol
  6. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,470 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Because it's a classic look that we've had throughout our Super Bowl-winning history? When you picture the Cowboys, you picture them in white uniforms.

Telling the Cowboys to scrap their white unis is like telling the Yankees to ditch the pinstripes or the Lakers to ditch the gold home jerseys. Being America's Team means we set trends rather than follow them.
    AmishCowboy and Dion2288 like this.
  7. SDCowboy85

15,572 Messages
    1,711 Likes Received
    I picture them in the white jerseys because it's almost all they ever wear. Not because I think it's iconic or looks better. The blue jerseys>>>white. Also I never said to scrap the white jerseys. I just wish it wasn't almost every game.
    da_whiz_kid, venky and RastaRocket like this.
  8. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Great! Been a while since we've seen the navy blues. But I was hoping to see the Chargers in their throw back baby blues. Chargers must be desperate and looking for any edge if they are going away from their customary blue jerseys when playing at home.

That kind of fear/panic from a Dallas opponent is refreshing.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I like seeing the blue once in a while but the white is the classic look for the Cowboys and has been since the begining.
    AmishCowboy and Nav22 like this.
  10. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,446 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Booo terrible looking uniforms!!!
  11. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,150 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    Great! I love the blue jerseys.
  12. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    i wish they wore their thanksgiving day ones at home games.
  13. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,360 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    I don't think panic has anything to do with it. The Chargers wore white at home against the visiting Texans (in dark uniforms) on opening day, when their season was still 0-0.
  14. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,237 Messages
    1,717 Likes Received
    Is this the only game this year in which we are slated to wear the blues?
  15. CowboysLegend365

CowboysLegend365 Active Member

326 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I want to see the Cowboys win a Super Bowl in the white NIKE jerseys aka SOON!
  16. venky

venky Active Member

439 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Throwbacks > Blue > White
    Spectre likes this.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I like seeing the Navy Blues
  18. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,751 Messages
    1,305 Likes Received
    In before the blue jersey jinx
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    YEA! Love the blues!
  20. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

1,342 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    Love the classic whites, but love the Blue style they wore in the late 70s ending in 1980.