1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cowlishaw: There is a simple reason Dez won't be a perennial Pro Bowler

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 10, 2013.

1. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,630 Messages
    1,098 Likes Received
    Was Irvin a perennial pro bowl player? His contemporaries were a lot better than those named.
  2. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,144 Messages
    1,891 Likes Received
    That fell so short of your intent.

First, Irvin was second to Rice and there was no one else.

But the premise that Cowlishaw was putting down Dez saying the others were better is not substantiated by anything in his article.

He was talking numbers and that dilutes the voting.

A premise that has nothing to do with putting down Dez.
  3. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

The homers just can't stand logic.

Pretty sure that Dallas had the most Pro Bowl selections in history (13) just a handful of years back.

Newflash, compadre: 6-10, 8-8, and 8-8 in 3 straight years means our team sucks.

That's why we don't have lots of pro bowlers anymore. There's not some conspiracy theory here.
  4. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :clap2:

As I just said, he was using logic and not biased passion. I like Cowlishaw because he's proof that there's at least one writer in DFW with a brain.
  5. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,693 Messages
    1,564 Likes Received
    I'm going to have to sadly join the homer crowd on this one. I think he has the opportunity to be better than 99% of all those dudes he listed. And yeah, I'm saying it because I'm biased, but I'm also saying it because he gets better every year.

But we'll see.
  6. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Cowlishaw was not bashing Dez at all. He was stating simply...Lots of really good WRs in the NFC. More than the AFC IMO, by a wide margin.

Odds are against him...not because he is a Cowboys player. Perhaps he does not believe in another factor or two as well though.

Side note: making the ProBowl is not the end all, be all to being a great player. I have no idea why so many people put so much into that these days.

Did any of the "selected" NFC QBs even go to the Pro Bowl ? Nope.

Half the NFC roster that was selected (it seems like), played in the SB or were injured. Thus the need to eliminate the game and simply give the recognition as a Pro Bowl level player.

The only reason that players like Witten and Fletcher got in was because of injuries... That's not something to be bragging, or caring about.
  7. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    When you win one wildcard game in 15+ years, it's the moral victories that count ;)

Tally this alongside San Francisco NOT winning their 6th ring.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,479 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    Brandon Marshall and Calvin Johnson I see.....that's who we hope Dez can become. Those other guys.....no. They are either in Dez's league or simply worse. Michael Crabtree is nowhere near Dez's league.
  9. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,886 Messages
    1,204 Likes Received
    All these homers need to take a chill pill.

Who knows what goes on in a given year, least of all to mention what new players will arise.

All he said is he wouldn't guarantee 3-5 pro bowls. I don't know any players who could certainly say that.

The NFL is a flux business. There is injury, there are bad years, sometimes other people have record years e.t.c.

Don't get so hot and bothered over someone making a reasoned and logical assessment.
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,635 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    This.

The article wasn't a personal affront - it was basically NFL 101.
  11. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,414 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    This was a stupid article. The guy clearly deserved it last year and is just hitting his stride as a player. He could certainly make it quite a few times over the next 5 or 6 years regardless of who else is playing WR in the NFC. Only Megatron is clearly better. Marshall is also very good but none of the other names mentioned in the article are currently better than Dez or have more upside.
  12. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    i still trust him about as far as i can throw him.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,176 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Someone posted it on here before...

But Dez had the best season for any WR to not make the pro bowl since like 1962 or somethign ridiculous.

The fact that he is a Cowboy is the ONLY logical reason that he wasn't in the pro bowl this year. The only one.
  14. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Or perhaps that his off field issues and seemingly poor attitude bit him in the butt.

No matter how great Vick is or could be, many people would unfortunately still go back to his acts off the field. And say...nope, not voting for him.

It's petty but it is real. I hear all the time about what happened decades ago with Irvin. What in the heck does that have to do with this guy on the field Sundays ? Absolutely nothing. Yet years later people still hold a grudge about something that had nothing to do with them.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Bingo.

It's a loaded position in the NFC.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,003 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    For now that may be true those WR mentioned are all excellent WR. I see this as more of a goal for Dez to change that view. Dez physical abilities are just as great as the players mentioned and better than some of them.
  17. Cogan

Cogan Active Member

1,500 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    How about the fact that the team was only 8-8 & failed to make the playoffs once again?
  18. Cogan

Cogan Active Member

1,500 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Where's the offensive linemen on your list? This team has the worst OL in the NFL. Our OTs led the league in holding & penalties in general. No need for another RB, WR, TE when no one blocks.
  19. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,458 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Of course, you'd expect a few of those guys to miss the probowl because their team is in the SB. Some might even get hurt in the playoffs and not be able to play.

Dez won't have those problems so even in a down year, he'll have an increased chance of making the game.
  20. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    That is garbage, first of all, pro bowl honors are suppose to be all about what you did in that season, not reputation or what you did in previous years. Dez Bryants numbers alone were way better than Fitzgerald and Smith.

Second, I think Eatman said that Dez was going to be asked to be a replacement on the team, but when they went to the Cowboys, they said that he needed surgery, so he was passed by. Eatman says that the NFL never talks about who was going to be asked to be an alternate, only if you accept the invitation does it become public.