1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Credit For Success

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Nov 28, 2012.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,523 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    On Randy Galloway today they were talking about Jerry. One of the issues Randy brought up was Jerry being in a blue funk over the team.

They were speculating, of course, but Randy brought up a point.

Jerry wants credit, which i think we all can agree on. But what GM's really get the credit?

It is argued that Ozzie Newsome is the best GM going.

But does he truly get the the credit over Harbaugh?

So randy argues that convincing Jerry he will not receive this football guy credit he covets is the way to reclaim the team's greatness.

Randy is salivating over Payton but also brought up the point that Jerry could hire Sean and still screw the pooch.

I think we all want this team to win. Some with the current head coach and others with a regime change.

But all roads to success go through Jerry Jones. Either by figuring this out, or stepping aside for someone else.

I wish this would hurry.
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,613 Messages
    3,506 Likes Received
    if he were to hire a GM now after 17 years of misery, it would seal his faith as the single entity that sunk this franchise for nearly two decades. my point is there is as much negative as positive to his legacy if he were to hire a GM and win a chip now that's buried himself so deep into his bunker of stubborness.
  3. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,509 Messages
    924 Likes Received
    That thought had occurred to me as well, but my thinking is that if Jerry really believes this, the same scenario could happen after he passes away and the only difference is that he would not be around to be haunted by it. If he was proactive and hired a GM now, he could still get a lot of credit should the Cowboys go deep into the post season or win a Super Bowl. It would not be as much credit, but it definitely would more credit than he's had in the last 17 years.

The best analogy I can come up with is the old guy/woman sitting at a slot machine for hours and hours expecting it to pay off big at any moment. As such, they stubbornly refuse to leave because they just know someone is going to come in right after they get up and win the big one.

#reality
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,836 Messages
    5,415 Likes Received
    I honestly don't care how we do it, I just want to win. Period. This obsession for credit is merely a guy putting himself over the good of the team.
  5. Risen Star

19,836 Messages
    5,415 Likes Received
    Agreed. He's dug his heels in. It would have been easier on his ego to do it 10 years ago.
  6. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,567 Messages
    1,660 Likes Received
    Exactly.

This is why I want Garrett back next year. It likely means we made the playoffs.
  7. Risen Star

19,836 Messages
    5,415 Likes Received
    If everybody thought about it and was honest, they would have to admit this is what they really want too. The best thing for this team would be for the current coach to be the right guy.
  8. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I feel the same.

I root for the players here, the owners can all go jump in Te trinity for all I care.

This season I don't care who the coach is for the rest of the way, just win and let the players talk for themselves.

I hate that ware romo and witten are going through this.
  9. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,890 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Didn't Randy also salivate over JG too when Phillips was trending downwards too?

Along with JFE and many other DFW mediots?
  10. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,965 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    The sad thing is that Bob Kraft sits up there in New England getting plenty of credit for running an annually dominant franchise. Kraft and Jerry supposedly sit at the same big boys' table yet Jerry can't figure out that Bob's model works? Kraft gets plenty of camera time, he has players willing to dedicate seasons to his deceased wife (and wear helmet stickers in her memory if I recall correctly), and he's even somewhat insulated from the only knock - that filming scandal.

When Skins fans have a warmer reaction to Daniel Snyder's role, you know you're reaching rock bottom. But based on modern science, plastic surgery, and apparently Jerry's propensity to sub out menial tasks like cleaning his glasses and being a designated driver while he gets liquored up, we may sit on that bottom for a while.
  11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,051 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    I imagine that it is even harder considering he brought in Parcells and only saw limited improvement, and then the year Parcells leaves the team does much better.

Creates an illusion that he can win with any bumble. The fact is that Jerry is actually very good at bringing in talent (his fascination with WRs not withstanding), but does a much better job when there is a strong personality coach to balance it out.
  12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,051 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    Skins fans should be very high on Snyder. The last 3-4 years of hiring Bruce Allen, getting Shanny and RG3 is about as positive as it comes.
  13. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,802 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received
    This is very true, IF, it can actually happen. The odds arent looking good for it to happen, but it is our best shot.

I want Red to succeed, but seeing it become a reality seems to be more of a pipe dream as the weeks go by - stacking bad days upon bad days.
  14. rags747

rags747 Active Member

988 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Jerry has nothing to do with the problems on this team imo, just the way I see it. Has constantly dished out big time bucks to make it happen. He does not pick the players...he has a whole team of scouts etc to get the players. Parcells was allowed to run the team as he saw fit...how did that work out?

Jerry in my mind has done everything possible to put a winner on the field, cut the guy some slack. We shore up the OL this offseason and add a rush player to the DL and I think we will be ok going forward. Whe have some decent young talent from the past few years.
  15. TwoDeep3

5,523 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    That's why Galloway said that Jerry could still screw this up.

He brought up that Parcells was running the show and things were turning out better.

Then Jones forced TO on Parcells.

So he speculates that Jones will force something on Payton or whomever is the coach because Jerry will want credit.
  16. TwoDeep3

5,523 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    Jerry created a climate where the players can go past the coach to the GM, who is the owner.

This is the entitlement attitude you hear so much about.

I have to disagree with you that Jerry has nothing to do with this.

If the Cowboys season were a dead body and CSI searched for the criminal that killed it. Jerry's fingerprints would be all over the corpse.
  17. rags747

rags747 Active Member

988 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Yep, Jerry forced TO on Parcells and the Cowboys have not had such a long ball TD machine in a 3 year period ever. If TO was not hurt in the playoff game vs the Giants in 07 we win that game going away.

Bring Payton in here and Jerry will do everything in his power to give Payton the tools to get it done, no doubt in my mind. I do believe that Garrett will be back though.
  18. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,890 Messages
    143 Likes Received

I hate to say this but not one WR has ever matched the production that TO had in 2007 with 15 TDs. Austin was close in yds but only had 11 TDs.

TO needed to go but it's sad that no one has ever come close to that type of production.
  19. TwoDeep3

5,523 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    Well, it's not so much what TO did but what Jerry did to sour Parcells.

We can debate TO or not to TO. I liked him well enough and was sad to see him go.

I thought it was important for him to go when he did, but that is for another debate.

But Jerry forced TO on Parcells and that is what sent Parcells packing. He gouged Jerry for extra money because of it as well.

I used to have the highest respect for Jerry, but he has convinced me he will ride this into the ground before he allows anyone to take away his bully pulpit.
  20. rags747

rags747 Active Member

988 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Do we know for sure that TO was forced on Parcells? I have never heard Parcells say that outright. Im of the opinion that Parcells may have not been thrilled with it but I do not believe he was forced to take TO.

Parcells left because he was getting old, 16hr days were taking their toll, his brother died etc. He was past his prime unfortunately, but I have never enjoyed a press conference as much as his. An all time great for sure.