1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cuban/Carlisle/Dirk = Jerry/Garrett/Romo?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by egn22, Jan 26, 2013.

1. egn22

egn22 Active Member

841 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    reading is fundamental. Reading comprehension is even more vital. Read the initial post again and you'll realize your argument doesn't apply here. No mess was thrown as the media influence is alive and well. Check the most recent threads on this board and see for yourself.
  2. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,967 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I agree with what your saying, but I disagree that the Cowboys are similar to the Mavs. Jerry and Cuban are very similar from a perspective that they love everything about the team they own. They enjoy being a part of everything, and a sports franchise isn't necessarily just an investment for them. However, I think Cuban is much more different than Jerry in terms of how involved they are. I completely agree about the whole media thing though; the media will never be on anybody's side unless they are winning. Hell, the Giants won a superbowl and Eli still sucked up until last year when they hopped on the bandwagon. I think the media overstates Jerry's involvement as well, as well as Cuban.

I do always think of that Mavs run though when I think about the Cowboys. I think we are headed in a positive direction and eventually we will get ours. One huge difference between the Mavericks and Cowboys is that the Mavericks have consistently dominated the regular season for over a decade while the Cowboys have been inconsistent. Romo and the Cowboys have no identity yet and the Mavericks and Dirk have at least always had an identity.
  3. Jake0

Jake0 Member

503 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    How do you know the decision to free cap space by letting players like Chandler walk was exclusively a Cuban decision without any consultation with Carlisle? I never got that impression.

The situation is obvious, the team won a championship at the perfect time. The Heat just formed the big 3, OKC's young players are getting better every year (Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Harden at the time), tons of other teams with young and up and coming players are about to start hitting their strides while the Mavs are full of old people on the decline. Everyone knew the team would not hold up with that lineup in the coming years.

The choice is obvious that they needed a Dwight Howard or Deron Williams type superstar to pair with Dirk to even have a chance against the teams like Miami and OKC with multiple superstars. It was a risk but the risk was fine and Cuban wasn't a meddling owner trying to be GM in the situation so I don't personally see the correlation. Chandler was a very good fit but he was due for a huge payday after that deal that wouldn't allow the cap space to sign a superstar and the team would not be championship caliber in the coming years with him.

IMO the Cowboys type thing (as of late at least) to do in this situation would be to keep your aging vets for their high price as they deteriorate and stay in the perpetual mediocrity of barely missing or making the playoffs and getting knocked out early.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    You are right. It was not. It was a group decision and a very difficult one.
    Cuban was up for keeping the whole group though both he, and especially Nelson, spelled out valid reasons why that could be crippling for many years to come.
    It sure would have been fun to see what they could do though--especially in hindsite.

I see the point of the thread though. It's mostly regarding media perception--right or otherwise.
  5. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,527 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    :D ... :(

Well said, sir.
  6. egn22

egn22 Active Member

841 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    good point about the identity, that's spot on.
    And i'm glad you feel we're moving in the right direction. I'm tired of the Debbie downers. That's all i'm saying, maybe its not what the media is trying to force feed us. Maybe there's more to it than Garrett just sitting to the side playing the puppet role.
  7. egn22

egn22 Active Member

841 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    Media perception, and the assumption that our coach is nothing more than a puppet. If we win, watch how fast they jump on his Jock. the puppet story is just so worn out. I'm not a Garrett fan but enough is enough.
  8. RastaRocket

5,967 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    We've really only been establishing a young core around Romo for about 3 years now. There is no doubt that we have a talented team in Dallas. I feel as if we are 1-2 drafts away from having a core that is able to contend. Of course, it's only if we make good decisions. I have been pretty happy with our drafting under JG, now the only thing I hope for is we are done trading up to get players. I am happy we have Mo and Dez on this team, but I feel like depth is the most pressing issue. Just keep our picks or trade down and we should be OK.
  9. Alweezy

Alweezy Member

601 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    The reason why everyone keeps making comparisons to the talent is because this thread in principle is a comparison of talent. What's to talk about in terms of comparing the way the media gives neither team a chance unless you show the differences in the two situations?

when it comes to one team going to the playoffs every year and another struggling to be a wild card, there's a reason.

When it comes to one player constantly being called a choker and another ridding himself of that label forever, there's a reason.

When it comes to foolishly expressing doubt towards a coach that has skins on the wall and doubting a coach that is learning as he goes.. there's a reason the articles are what they are.

The media will doubt every team in every sport. That is nothing new. Have the Cowboys done anything in the past 10 years to prove the media wrong? Nope, and until they do, this proving the world wrong next year storyline is old,trite and predictable. Let me know when the Cowboys strenghten their biggest weakness in the offseason, the coach gets some skins on the wall, and the owner figures out he can't be the star and the media is STILL busting their chops? Then we might have room to be upset.
  10. coogrfan

1,527 Messages
    223 Likes Received
    You sure about that?

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallascowboys.php?t=252084
  11. RastaRocket

5,967 Messages
    471 Likes Received
  12. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    +1 And Dirk didnt personally choke. His team did. Although its hard to compare sports. Romo has the ball in his hands more to create turnovers.
  13. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,642 Messages
    690 Likes Received
    Plus in basketball its much easier to take over a game by yourself.
  14. coogrfan

1,527 Messages
    223 Likes Received

Describing any team where Doug Free could be considered to be among your twenty best players as "talented" is an offense to logic and simple common sense.
  15. RastaRocket

5,967 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Obviously I said we are a few drafts away, and OL is one of our biggest needs. But to look at this roster and say you don't see a good amount of top end talent is crazy in my eyes. We aren't a deep team though, I guess we are building backwards. We have the pieces that can get a team over the hump; we just don't have anything sticking it together.
  16. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,522 Messages
    393 Likes Received
    Cuban is way more D.... than Jerry.