1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Culliver wouldn't accept gay teammate

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by dez_for_prez, Jan 30, 2013.

1. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,040 Messages
    8 Likes Received
  2. HomerSimpson31

HomerSimpson31 Member

121 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Ok,first of all,you should have a choice to be for or against it. That's the way he believes and it should be fine,afterall this is America. I really don't want the Superbowl turning into a gay rights thing.Let's keep it about the Biggest game of the year in all sports. The Superbowl is an American tradition,let's keep it about Football. If the Ravens player can speak his mind then why can't anyone else speak theirs just because it differs from the way they believe.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,146 Messages
    260 Likes Received
    The guy is an idiot. First off, did you read his quotes, man they were hard to read. He needs to learn how to speak. Also he plays for a team in San Fran. How do you think the majority of that town is going to like what he just said. Also not smart by him.
    This is America and you do have the right to believe and say what you want, but when its in the public eye atleast be smart about what you say and how you say it. Again this guy is an idiot.
  4. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,583 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    Exactly, he's in San Francisco. Shut your trap.
  5. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

7,989 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    I love the idea that we should tolerate bigotry so that we can tolerate intolerance...
  6. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,567 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    He should be able to be for or against it, but his comments indicate that he wouldn't extend the same rights to someone else, specifically one who is gay, and that is a problem.
  7. Manwiththeplan

4,567 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I don't know what you're even trying to say, clearly you decided you had nothing intelligent to add, but if a 49ers player insulted something you believe in, whether it's politics, religion, race or just an insult to America, you wouldn't be saying "he's in San Francisco. Shut your trap."
  8. RastaRocket

5,583 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    I quoted a post talking about how San Francisco is a prominent gay area in the United States. Obviously, it would be smart to shut your trap if you are going to bash gay rights as a player who represents the city of San Francisco.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,190 Messages
    823 Likes Received
    Where did bigotry come into this?
  10. Manwiththeplan

4,567 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    so sorry, i thought u were telling the guy you quoted to shut his trap. I do apologize
  11. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is hilarious.

You have the Ravens player making a big deal out gay marriage during Super Bowl week, but when someone who is asked about his position on it (Remember, he responded to an interview question) he should just shut up. As if his views were less important that Ayenbijeo (SP).

The people who scream about tolerance the most, have none for those who disagree. Hypocrites on parade.
  12. RastaRocket

5,583 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    He doesn't have to shut up. What did he expect though when he said that?
  13. Tricked

Tricked Fascinated

660 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    America, land of the free for all.... this guy needs to shut his mouth
  14. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,190 Messages
    823 Likes Received
    Why?

If its the land of the free for all isnt he entitled to his opinion/view on a subject?

Dont we still have free speech?

Why should he be forced to accept something he most likely finds immoral?
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,273 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    It's almost like a gay teammate would make the entire locker room gay by association from his comment.

"They gotta get up outta here"

Guys an idiot and not because of what he may or may not believe, he's just nearly incomprehensible when he speaks.

Frank Gore probably said it best,

“If you are gay, you are gay,” Gore said. “I don’t have a problem with it. If that’s what you want to do, I’m fine with it. That’s their business, and you shouldn’t be in another man’s business.”
  16. Tricked

Tricked Fascinated

660 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He needs to learn the phrase ''it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt''

Free speech is something everyone has, and yes he is entitled to it, but with him opening his mouth and saying such poor things is only going to shine negatively on his team. If there is a gay player that wants to play on the 49ers, do you think that comment isn't going to stick in their heads?

IMO immoral has nothing to do with it. It's a homophobic thing to say. The immoral thing to do is to be negative to others. If he thinks it's religiously wrong, then let the powers that be judge him. He isn't supposed to be that one.
  17. Manwiththeplan

4,567 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    there are so many different avenues he can express his point of view without insulting anyone or making them feel less than human, and he chose none of those, which is why no one should tolerate his comments.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,273 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    What does morality have to do with him saying that any gays should leave the team?

First and foremost, he isn't the moral authority. Secondly, he isn't in a position to say whether or not gay people will be employed by the 49ers.

On those two points alone, he doesn't have any room to say that "they better get up outta here" regardless of his moral position on the issue.

This is in addition to the fact that it has nothing to do with him.
  19. Manwiththeplan

4,567 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    And when you voice your opinion, and that opinion feeds on negative sterotypes and insults people you have never met/never done anything to you, then you deserve all the negative backlash you recieve.

And whether he finds it immoral is irrelevant. Matt Birks comments for the most part flew under the radar. People disagreed with him, but he wasn't condescending or insulting. And I'm pretty sure at some point Tim Tebow has been asked a question on the subject, but I can't see him saying anything similar to what Culliver said.

The problem is him saying they couldn't play on the team, like it's his decision or like he would go out of his way to make them feel unwelcome, and saying the whole, not in the locker room, i don't play that, comment.
  20. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Member

905 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    He's entitled to his own opinion, which many agree with, but people would be more inclined to hear him if wasn't being disrespectful and ignorant in how he said it.

I fully expect him to backtrack on his comments tomorrow and show support, even though absolutely no one will believe him.