1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Culpepper to the UFL

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Yeagermeister, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Culpepper reunites with former NFL coach Green on UFL team

Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Quarterback Daunte Culpepper is still playing professional football, albeit in the United Football League.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Culpepper, who made five starts and appeared in eight games last season for the Detroit Lions, signed with the Sacramento Mountain Lions on Monday. He will be reunited with former Minnesota Vikings coach Dennis Green, who is the Mountain Lions' coach.

Culpepper, 33, said he wants to continue playing, adding that the UFL opportunity was something he couldn't resist.

Culpepper has passed for 24,153 yards and 149 touchdowns with the Vikings, Lions, Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders.

The Mountain Lions will begin minicamp Thursday -- in a high school stadium -- and Culpepper is expected to be in uniform.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
  2. Christiann

Christiann Active Member

534 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Wow..just thinking back maybe like 5 years ago this guy was a pretty good QB even though Minny had their ups and downs. Now he's in the UFL, that sucks pretty bad.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    So if Culpepper plays well, does that mean he is who Green thought he was and will crown his ***?
  4. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Was it just playing with Moss in that dome that made him great?

There was a year not too long ago where he was on par with Manning (statistically) and threw for 48 tds or something.

How do you fall off that far, at only 33?
  5. playmakers

playmakers Active Member

1,149 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I beileve 2 ACL injuries will do it. His strength was to get away from sacks with his strength and speed, once he lost his legs his game went with it. I picked this guy every year in fantasy in his prime and I didnt care if i had the first pick or not. Every week he would end up with 275-300 yards passing/ 40-50 yards rushing and 2 or 3 tds.

I caught the 2nd half of the UFL Superbowl and it was a good game. It even went in OT.
  6. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,616 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    i wish him luck in the UFL.
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    I don't think he hurt both ACLs. He did hurt his ACL, PCL and MCL in one knee, which is a very significant injury.
  8. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    i like him all the more for it. could probably have gone somewhere and never seen the field for more money but has chosen to go and play. maybe i'm giving him more credit than i should but seems to me he's made his money and just wants to play
  9. tduhain

tduhain New Member

21 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :starspin Living in Sacramento it's going to be interesting to watch - ULF football is better than NO football. And Dallas is a long way away.
    Also, is Dennis Green really who we thought he was?
  10. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm hoping for the unlikely possibility of Portland (OR) getting a USL team.
  11. Tricericon

Tricericon Member

874 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    In the same year he lost his best receiver, offensive coordinator, and veteran pro bowl center (who made all the line calls). He ruined his knee after a disastrous two months of 2005 and never recovered.
  12. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Madden curse :laugh2: