1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cure for Cancer...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by HoleInTheRoof, May 4, 2010.

1. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've lost family members to cancer, as well as had family members survive cancer. I say that upfront just in case someone gets insulted by this thread.

Now . . . does anyone other than me kind of skeptical about the campaigns to find the cure for cancer? My company, or should I say the company I work as an independent contractor for (I don't own the company afterall) is starting it's annual Relay for Life campaign. We do it every year, and it's a lot of fun as well as being for a good cause.

But I can honestly say that I am starting to think that the whole cancer cure idea is somewhat of a scam. Maybe I'm jaded, but I think our entire medical system is based on treating the sick, rather than curing the sick.

Basically, my very uneducated thoughts on the matter is/are many years and billions of dollars have gone towards the "cure for cancer search" . . . but I've never heard any breakthroughs as to what, if any, progress is being made.

Will cancer be cured in my lifetime (I figure I'll be dead in 30 years, maybe by cancer :D )? Or will my grandkids be participating in Relay for Life campaigns themselves?
  2. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,879 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Maybe I'm jaded, but I think our entire medical system is based on treating the sick, rather than curing the sick.

Youre not wrong.

But ultimately I think theres enough well intentioned people that there will be a cure pretty soon.
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,003 Messages
    720 Likes Received

Lost my baby sister to cancer a few months ago ....

And yes I agree with you.

Except that if they did find the cure ..... they would be richer than anyone could possibly imagine.
  4. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm sorry to hear that.

Would they be richer than the people who cured polio? I'm trying to think of a disease that matches the significance of cancer, and I really can't. And what ever happened to the cure for AIDs campaign?
  5. MrMom

MrMom Well-Known Member

1,595 Messages
    80 Likes Received
  6. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I know a lot of people who put these sort of things together and they are good intentioned - especially those who have survived, so I don't think it's an overall conspiracy. But I really don't think it's realistic.

I do think it's much too lucrative a venture to simply give up for some. Cancer has been characterized as something that is malicious instead of the mindless effects of our environment on our bodies. You're not going to cure death and you're definitely not going to change the causes if you're not at all changing the environment.

I'm not an environmentalist and that's not where I am going with this, but I do believe the very industrial nature of our society is causing a lot of our problems. Pollutants in the air and the water are not doing us any good. I also believe that it's an unspoken realization among the medical/science community that has to remain unspoken for various reasons.

I have to laugh at the vilification of smokers, with their silly little leaves wrapped in paper while the wheels of our life-style supporting industry are coughing out the most noxious garbage I have to inhale on a daily basis during my commute. While giant cigarette shaped stacks cough out God knows what of a very rank smelling cloud.

The cure for cancer isn't some magic drug some scientist must discover, it's going to be a long overarching lifestyle change for our society over all. Until our litigation fearing society starts admitting this crap, nothing of real consequence is going to change.
  8. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,879 Messages
    83 Likes Received

didnt the guy who cured Polio give the cure away for free?
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    They have actually made huge inroads into curing cancer lately. The FDA just approved what is considered a type of cancer vaccine.

LINK

10. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think the scientist who cures Cancer would become filthy rich. Most likely, he/she would be given a nice promotion and maybe a monetary bonus but the company they work for would reap the most rewards.

However, that doctor could probably quit his/her job and make a ton of money writing books and public speaking.
  11. Sam I Am

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The thing I hate about the whole thing is you donate to these types of causes. They find a cure or something in some educational lab. The lab sells it (or co-licenses it) with some big pharmaceutical company, and then over-charge us (the people who donated money to find this cure) for it or else we die.
  12. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree but in the case of Cancer, the scientist will probably work for a large medical company that is backed mainly by rich investors.

We just talked about this in my Economics Class. If someone were to find a cure for Cancer, it would be what Economist call a Positive Externality and you would hope that the Government would subsidize its consumption (and therefore making it cheaper) because of the positives for society.
  13. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,947 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    There's no money in the cure, if they gave 100 billion dollars to who ever found a cure for Aids there would be a vaccine for it next week...

They can make it disapear for your system completly now but you need to take a **** load of drugs every day or die, do you honestly think the people selling those drugs are interested in curing it?
  14. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,036 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Nobel prizes will certainly go to any scientists who make a major discovery like that.

However, the more wide ranging the effects of a 'cure for cancer', the more likely that those wide ranging effects will have significant, large scale downsides. Scientists tend to hunt for narrow answers to single issues, with little-to-no side effects.
  15. Sam I Am

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Smoking cures cancer.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,233 Messages
    2,988 Likes Received
    I think they are closer and have done great things in my life time regarding surviving cancer. When I was young it was an automatic death sentence now days more and more people can beat it.
  17. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,190 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Cancer=$. So no. There will never be a cure.
  18. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I agree with nyc. I've been vaccinated with Gardasil, and the doctors I spoke with all said that the trials have been phenomenal - 100% of their participants did not get the HPV strains that cause most of the genital warts and cervical cancer. They've recently started recommending this for boys/young men, which is a good thing imo.

As for a "cure," I do actually believe it will be there one day. We are going very slowly because obviously, it takes years and years of trials just to make it to the human trial phase (Think of I am Legend or what happened with Thalidomide back 50 years ago). I think the methods we currently utilize to treat cancer (radiation, chemo, etc) will be liken to certain primitive methods of treating diseases, such as the pulling of front teeth to prevent lock-jaw often associated with tetanus or something.

As we continue to unlock the genome and understand how genes work, we can learn to turn off and on genes, etc. The fact that we have been able to successfully (albeit imperfectly) clone leads me to believe that anything biological can be achieved.

Whether we want it to is another matter, as often the case, science usually is a lot faster than the ethics and laws attached to it. Designer babies, etc. may be the norm in the not too distant future (think Gattaca).
  19. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    See I wonder if 'a cure for cancer' is too general of a phrase?

For example, just because you cure Leukemia (cancer of the blood), does that mean you automatically have a cure for Stomach Cancer?

Also, I may be a little naive, but I don't know if I agree with the premise that a cure has not been found because of greed.

Too many rich people (who would likely give their entire fortune for a cure) have died of the disease, for me to believe that.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,233 Messages
    2,988 Likes Received
    True when you say cancer it is not all the same. I think some forms of cancer they are very close to preventing while other forms of cancer there still alot of work to find a cure.

But as I said as a kid when a person was told they had cancer of almost any kind the next question was how long do I have and now days I see people who are beating their cancer be in Prostate or Breast Cancer and 30 or 40 years ago there was nothing they could do expect try to ease the pain.