1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Cyrus Kouandjio & Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Declare for Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by IAmLegend, Jan 9, 2014.

1. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,266 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL1h
    THIS JUST IN: Alabama's OL Cyrus Kouandjio and S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to enter NFL draft. Both are projected as 1st round picks.

-As expected. Clinton-Diz will surely be in the Cowboys top 5 on their big board for the 1st round. Would you rather have a Safety or DL?
  2. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,266 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    Should be noted that Texas A&M OT Cedric Ogbuechi says he'll be returning to school. He was projected as another 1st round OT.
  3. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I'd rather DL if all things were equal. But all things may not be equal. I'm not seeing a strong DL draft class, which absolutely sucks. Last year saw more quality and quantity IMO. This year I just get the sense that we'd be reaching somewhat to fill a need.

Clinton-Dix is a versatile stud at a long-time position of need and very well may be graded much higher than any available DL when our pick is up. I think he's on par or slightly better than Kenny Vaccaro as a prospect.
  4. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,596 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    did Dix even play against OU? If he did, I don't remember him....despite looking for him.
    I'll admit I haven't watched much Alabama but i know I'll gag if we take a S over a top-rated DL, or even OL for that matter.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Have to go DL first. Have to.

I honestly think this is another great draft to trade down 8-10 spots and pick up a couple of extra picks again.
  6. CowboysLaw87

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    He played, although it wasn't one of the games he had his biggest impacts on. The thing about evaluating S's is that the broadcast view we get on TV doesn't capture close to all of what a S does. Most of the time they're doing their job perfectly and staying out of the TV frame. The All-22 coaches film is what the scouts/coaches use and that shows a S's spacing, pursuit angles, reaction time, closing radius, etc.

I'll agree that I'd prefer a top-rated DL over him (like you said). I've just done quite a bit of research, reading, watching and am not sold on the DL in this draft being proper fits at #16/17.

The problem- potentially the top 3 DT's available (Nix, Jernigan, Hageman) are all poor (or at least imperfect) fits in our scheme, which prioritizes explosive up-field burst. I think we'd look elsewhere before using such a high pick on a guy that isn't a good fit, and that's where a guy like Clinton-Dix may come into play.
  7. CaptainCreed

CaptainCreed Active Member

380 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    If HaHa looks like he can make a Earl Thomas or Eric Berry type impact on this defense after looking at the tape and after interviews and the combine, I am not sure how you can pass on him. That is a big "if" but S is never as deep as DL, and DL, outside of Clowney, is actually much worse in comparison to last year's crop of prospects (Richardson, Star, Ansah, Dion Jordan). Do not over emphasize need or we will get a bust. Take someone that can help immediately regardless of position. Trade down ala 2013 Frederick if you want to focus on a certain position and can wait for a certain prospect like Aaron Donald a couple picks down.
  8. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Hageman definitely has that burst you're talking about. Just a question of how often he decided to use it in college.
    Tuitt definitely fits our scheme as well.

And Nix would fit in out system just fine....but as a 1 tech. We gave up 128 rushing yards per game and Hayden is an ok rotational player but can't start again next year.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,142 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I prefer this team get the trenches fixed before anything else honestly...
    Corleone likes this.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    How does Hageman not fit the scheme? He is very quick and would be best as a 1-gap type player.
  11. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    No thanks to HaHa the guy is way over rated. Also there is not a good history of secondary playera from bama.

Dix will be a good SS in the NFL but he isn't the answer at FS in Dallas.
    CowboysYanksLakers likes this.
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,599 Messages
    360 Likes Received
    Must not know what scheme dallas runs now and who the DL coach id. Marinelli likes quick guys that can rush. Not big 350 pounders.
  13. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

611 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Calvin Pryor SS - is much better than Clinton-Dix and so is Deon Buccanon.
  14. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,091 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  15. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    And you must not know anything about a 4-3 defense if you dont know what a 1 technique DT is.....

And I'm tired of that philosophy in general. Can we just daft talented football players? Who cares what our d line coach who may or may not have a job in Dallas next year wants? Passing on a more talented player because he "doesn't fit" the scheme is idiotic. It's a coaches job to make the best of the talent he is given. If Rod can't figure out how to effectively use a player like louis nix he doesn't need a job here.
    snapper likes this.
  16. CowboysLaw87

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I need to check him out more for sure, but my perception of him is he's in the Michael Brockers mold... more of a long, stout, point-of-attack player whose quickness isn't his strength.
  17. CowboysLaw87

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with you. For my money's worth, I think a guy like Louis Nix would create a helluva positive ripple effect for this D. I'm just aware of the way we seem to operate though... we had a really highly rated 1-tech prospect on the board last year and passed. Jerry and Stephen showed that they will take the suggestion/request of the coaching staff when deciding who to draft, and if a guy won't be a top of the line 3-tech in our scheme, he's not likely to be viewed as valuable enough to be the pick. I don't agree with it, but it just kind of is what it is apparently.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    No, I thought Brockers was overrated due to lack of elite quickness. Hageman definitely has elite quickness and excellent size; although, he does get hung up on blocks at times.
  19. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,124 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    I think Brockers was playing out of position at LSU. He seems like a natural NT in St. Louis. He has played very well there.
  20. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

405 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    If Clintox Dix is on board you take him and hope like hell Kelcy Quarles can falls in your lap inthe 2nd round. As much as I want him at Dallas, if Baltimore wins the toss I believe Ozzie will go after Clinton Dix looking for the next Ed Reed or WR.

Dix didn't really have a good year this year like he had in 2012 but he had to sit out a couple of games regarding the NCAA. Still Dix was one of the best players on that Bama defense and always around the ball with great closing speed.