1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

D. A. D. D.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    :thumbup:
  3. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Where do I sign up?
  4. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    It never ceases to amaze me how many adults go bonkers trying to keep their kids from doing what they freely did when they were their kid's ages. The more they try to prevent it, the more determined the kids get.

It's the never ending war.

In the old days, among the Cha ta (Choctaw) and the Ani Yun Wiya (Cherokee) young marrieds always lived in the wife's father's house and her brothers raised the kids - the father was not allowed to discipline them.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    M.A.D.D.

Mothers Against Dumb Dads?

(JK, JK)
  6. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    No offense my friend but comparing dating today to something 100 years ago isn't the best way to make that argument.

Society has changed and is far more evil today than even 10 years ago.

I don't think anybody is wanting to stop thier daughter from dating, but the proper age and supervision and in some cases not even allowing it, isn't really hurting anyone. Sometimes parents need to make the better choice for the kid. You try and always explain why your doing that. Don't just be automatic about it. That can and will probably go bad in the end.

Im only speaking as a dad, but I think you should base it off the child they want to date. If your child is mature enough but they want to hang out w/ some d-bags, as a father and mother you need to step up and try and stem that outside influence if possible.

Its like any decision your child is making for themselves. Try and help them make the best one but continue trusting them if they haven't let you down.

BTW: Not all kids rebel like you want to say. Many friends of mine have excellent relationships w/ their daughters and those kids date just fine. Mainly due to values set down as a family from a very early age for them.

This isn't the OLD DAYS. You have to protecty your kids more today. Parents have to be more involved with the kids friends and school and whats going on in thier lives.

Of course that has to be a balanced approach. The kid does have to feel they have some say and can be themselves.

Sometimes during that process, the parent may need to step in and help make a clearer choice. That is just good parenting.

Kinda going through this atm w/ my GF and her daughter. Sorry for my ramble. :)
  7. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,733 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    You're both taking this too seriously. The buy with the window sticker is just trying to be humorous. Not that anything you said is wrong.
  8. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Im not taking it to seriously. I was replying to NB. I understand the sticker is just a joke, but the discussion went past the sticker. :D
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    My oldest daughter told me, "I hope I find someone just like you."

I thought, "Oh please don't find someone like me."

If our kids only knew.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,944 Likes Received
    My sisters are true daddy's girls and I don't necessarily want someone like my Dad.

Love him dearly, but he has flaws like most men and those flaws are not what I would want in a man.

But girls with good fathers know characteristics to pick from their fathers...at least most of the time.
  12. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    When my daughter turned 16 I took her out on a "date". I told her this is what a guy should be like on a date. I opened the car door for her, I opened the doors for her at the restaurant and I told her that if the boy doesn't treat you like the most precious jewel in the world, you need to look elsewhere.

When we got to the restaurant we talked about her dating and so forth and after I told her about how a guy is supposed to treat a woman, she said, "So basically, just the way you treat mom."

Our kids are watching us whether we know it or not.

Every boy my daughter dates comes to meet me first before they go out. She is 19 now and even now, she won't date a boy unless he is willing to come to my house and talk with me.
  13. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    You sound like a good guy
  14. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My thoughts exactly. Part me hopes I have only sons, because I'll be deathly afraid of my daughter meeting me as a teenager and will never let her leave the house.
  15. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,593 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    One of my 9 yr old twin daughter asked me the other day, "Is it true that you won't allow us to date until you are dead? I told her yes. The other one told me " mom said she can arrange that but has to up your life insurance." She says it with a smile.
  16. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,944 Likes Received
    Ha! That's cute. lol
  17. Hostile

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    :bow:
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

If I ever have a daughter and she wants a man like me, I'll probably jump off a building.
  19. Hostile

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    I was about equal parts Hound and Gentleman. It's the Hound I want her to stay away from.
  20. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rule One:If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two:You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.

Rule Three:I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do no, in fact come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Rule Four:I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "Barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five:It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is: "early."

Rule Six:I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven:As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process than can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight:The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine: Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me.

Rule Ten:Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit the car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.

But, before you even think of dating my daughter, you'll have to fill out the Application for Permission to Date My Daughter.