1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

D Harris ended the regular season as the #2 ranked punt returner

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Woods, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,344 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Number 2 ranked punt returner in the NFL (looking at the stats on sportsline.com) for a returner with a minimum of 20 punt returns. (I used 20 punt returns as a minimum cut-off.)

D Harris had 22 punt returns for 354 yards for a 16.1 average.

Hopefully this bodes well for next year.

He's really turning into a very nice 6th round pick-up for us.

Also, I liked the Cowboys thinking/rationale when they drafted him. He had excellent production in college, was a consistent player, and produced despite opposing teams knowing he was the go-to guy.
  2. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Very very very excited about him next season.
  3. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,360 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Wasn't he killed in the final drive? I seem to remember his lifeless body on the field.

If he's alive, it's good to have someone there finally, I hated having Dez there, too much risk... and before that, we just couldn't get anyone consistent.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,202 Messages
    816 Likes Received
    Exactly.
    Reynaud, Harris, and McKelvin were all great this year.

Great job by Harris and good post.

I like your rational his being drafted too
  5. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,536 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    he should be the primary slot receiver starting the season. miles needs to get his crap together mentally and physically to be the 2nd receiver. i like that group. we need one more speed guy with height for the outside. i dont like harris outside, he just isnt tall enough.
  6. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,770 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    He's a good player, for sure. It's nice to see such picks work out.
  7. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,344 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Fortunately for us, nothing too serious. I think it was an ankle sprain. He should be fine in a month or two.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,025 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    Yeah, I see WR as a definite need. We don't have a starter to groom. Harris is nice but 3rd WR only. Beasley can't even get on all the rides at the amusement park.

I wouldn't hesitate to draft one early in April. I trust Miles Austin not even a little bit. Dez is beastly and maturing, but I don't have complete trust in him either. We should keep an open mind about WR in the offseason.
  9. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,575 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He has responded quite well since being cut and brought back.

Craig
  10. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  11. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,344 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'm hoping we part ways (finally) with Ogletree and pick up a decent 3rd wideout in FA who can play on the outside as our Number 3.

We can then use the Draft to get a guy like Hilton in Round 4.

And if Coale gets healthy by TC, we can have a nice log-jam at that position.
  12. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,757 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I think the inability to get this guy the ball more over the last two years is a big failure on Jason Garrett's part. Instead we rode the OTree train through failure upon failure.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,344 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    We have to move on from the Ogletree experiment this year. We need a legit number 3 who can also play as the number 2 in spot duty. A guy like L Robinson would be ideal.
  14. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,138 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    Yup, agree.

He has fallen off so much it's sickening and sadly, expected. (RW11, Barber, Free, RW31, TO, etc.) All were guys who disappointed after signing a big Jerry extension.

For me, it got to the point that if we threw it and something went wrong, I figured it was either OTree or Miles.

Would love it if we could find a Cobb, Mike Wallace, Cruz type WR in rounds 3-7.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,951 Messages
    1,849 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,871 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    I would really like to bring in Greg Jennings and cut Austin.

Love Austin's game but he's too unreliable.
  17. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

698 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    I'm excited to see him get more playing time next year as well as being that consistent punt returner. It's frustrating it took the team as long as it did to get him some touches. I'm ready for OTree to be gone.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,525 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Drafting a WR early in April would be one of the dumbest decisions this staff could possibly make. I think the only worse position we could draft in the first three rounds other than WR (excluding the absurd like kicker, fullback, etc) is RB.
  19. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Ok, now lets talk about Garrett:

Harris was cut at least once, didnt even snifff returns in front of Jones until Murray went down with an injury half way through the season. So basically, Garrett started using him by accident. And to top it off, he barely sniffed the field as a WR until injury late in the season.

Garrett is as bad with personel as he is with gameplans, game management and play calling.
  20. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    best player on the team!love him

It is a joy to watch Dwayne Harris play football!Only wish the coaches knew how great he really is!