1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dale Hansen: Well said!

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by NJ22, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,735 Messages
    915 Likes Received
    What does that even mean? Forget it, I probably don't need to know.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  2. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,312 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    So as long as Michael Sam doesn't start making out or practice homosexuality in the facility its a non-issue. I'll stake $1,000 that a story of nature will never be reported - so its a non-issue
  3. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Active Member

433 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    No. The reason that it is a big deal is because the media has made it a big deal, mainly because they can't fathom how there are people in this world that exists that actually disagree with that lifestyle.

How dare people have an opinion that differs? It's conjured up nonsense.
    Wayne02 likes this.
  4. McLovin

3,312 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    I cant disagree that "most" may not - but that is because of no personal connection with the issue. Hence, when Sam came out in Missouri this year it ended up a non-issue. People already knew his character and accepted him as a human being
  5. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,660 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    Good Lord, I give up, .. I think I have said THREE times that I am not talking about what the gay guy does, .. I am talking about how it impacts the straight guys and what their reactions will/could be.
  6. McLovin

3,312 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    The media makes it a big deal for ratings and because people take the bait. Switching the channel, not commenting on a web page, etc will end the story. Same reason why the Cowboys are always in the news. Doesn't matter the subject around the team, they get ratings and hits.
  7. McLovin

3,312 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    How did the Missouri team react this year? Overachieve, underachieve, non-issue? Seems like it was a non-issue since it didn't even leak out. Straight players appeared to react just fine
  8. WV Cowboy

10,660 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received

It may be a little different when it is 50 some strangers from 40 different colleges in a brand new environment.

Totally different.

We'll see.
  9. CrownCowboy

433 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Oh if only it were as simple as changing a channel, or leaving a webpage.

If it were that simple, you'd be right. It would be the end of the story. And drama gets ratings, which is what this particular subject always conjures up.

Unfortunately, this particular issue is getting worse. Many days a person can see it on one channel and flip it to the next with the same thing going on.

The problem here is indeed intolerance, but it's not from the people the media wants you to think it is and that is why we can't just stick to talking about football.
    Wayne02 likes this.
  10. WV Cowboy

10,660 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    I know, they expect everyone to be tolerant of the homosexual lifestyle, .. but they themselves are not tolerant of anyone that does not agree with the homosexual lifestyle.
    Wayne02 likes this.
  11. CrownCowboy

433 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    What if some straight players didn't react favorably?

Would you still be as supportive of their right to an opinion as you are of Sams?
  12. McLovin

3,312 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    People can dislike or approve of anything they choose. The issue is that there is still a belief that some people should not be able to access or earn a living if they are a certain way that is a personal to them and does not infringe or harm another person. Is there a rise in programming with gay themes - of course. But it is driven by curiosity. There have also been many of those series begin to be cancelled - The New Normal, Glee, etc.

2 years from now, this will be a rarer story as most will agree that it doesn't impact them or their entertainment. The news is pushing it now along with gay marriage, etc. When the curiosity wanes, the subject matter will be less volumous
  13. McLovin

3,312 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received

Example?
  14. CrownCowboy

433 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Oh I agree. People shouldn't feed the fire and as long as they do, the ratings will follow.

I haven't come across anyone that said that Sams shouldn't be able to earn a living because he is gay. All we hear is how evil other players who also make a living playing football are who might feel uncomfortable or disagree with Sams lifestyle.

Part of the problem here, as mentioned, is that to certain people on one particular side of this issue, you really can't dislike or approve of anything you choose, unless it's in accordance to what they also dislike or approve.

Overall, the sooner outlets like ESPN and others just start showing me the scores and talking about sports again, the better.
  15. CrownCowboy

433 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    No specific example, although I'm sure that some players in the NFL are not favorable of Sams lifestyle.

Hypothetically, if someone on the Missouri Tigers football team had a problem with his lifestyle, perhaps felt sort of uncomfortable around him in certain situations, would you still support his right that affords him those thoughts, opinions and emotions? The same right that afforded Sams to come out as gay publicly and to the team.

It's hypothetical, granted and the team seemingly supports him. However, just because ESPN plastered two or three fellow Tiger football players on a program adamantly endorsing Sams and his coming out party doesn't mean that every player on the team supports homosexuality, or feels comfortable playing with a gay football player. Of course, the opposite could be true as well. They all might endorse it.

The point here is pretty much the question I noted up message.
    Wayne02 likes this.
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,735 Messages
    915 Likes Received
    If that is all that mattered to you then why post several responses in a thread like this? You knew the thread wasn't about scores. It has to bring some interest to you or else you wouldn't even read what others are saying in the thread.
  17. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,178 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    I'm on the fence about this. I have no problem with gay people but this is professional football, with almost 2000 players, 99.9% of them are most likely straight. It will not flow over well with a lot of folks in the NFL. Whether you like it or not.
  18. McLovin

3,312 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    Well kind of. When any answer to "Is the NFL ready for a gay player?" is no, then people are saying he shouldnt be there. Being completely silent is a pipe dream. He surely will make friends and teammates will know.

Disapproving is fine, I guess it depends if there is an ultimatum.

Hypothetically, Im sure Tebow wouldn't agree with the lifestyle, but would he say either "he goes or I go?" I doubt it. The issue most people have is some notion that something tawdry will happen in the shower and I submit that is the least likely thing to occur in that environment.

I dont agree with people listening to Justin Beiber and spouting he has musical talent. But I wouldnt ask them to be removed from my work/team etc. Quite frankly, it would be hard to take someone like that serious ;)
  19. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

1,986 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    An openly gay football player is a lockerroom cancer, because the team as a team is secondary to the individual's story, his every emotion, his success and his failure. The team ceases to be a team because the media makes it a circus. Every post game press conference will be about him.

All this in addition to the shower issue and the fact that if he ever gets injured, it will speculated as a hate crime by the media.
  20. WV Cowboy

10,660 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    How many straight players will actually buddy up with him and be a friend, for fear of being looked at, or considered one of his partners?

No guy will want to be questioned as to why he is hanging out with the gay guy all of the time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.