1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Dallas Cowboys May Have Tampa 2 Safety Already On Their Roster

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Jan 20, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,909 Messages
    4,474 Likes Received
    When the Dallas Cowboys brought in Monte Kiffin as their defensive coordinator last week, there was plenty of speculation on if the Cowboys had the defensive players needed to make the transition to his 4-3 Tampa 2 scheme. Most of the talk has centered around questions about how DeMarcus Ware and the other Cowboys linebackers’ fit into the defense. However, looking more into Kiffin’s scheme there are other positions that have questions that need to be answered in order to make the Tampa 2 work. Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Tony Dungy spoke about the three positions that were needed in order to make the defense work; a defensive tackle that creates havoc inside, a weak side linebacker that can make plays and a versatile safety that can play in the box, as well as the speed to cover. The Cowboys, I believe, have the first two covered but maybe the most difficult position to fill is safety.

Looking at the Cowboys roster, the two starters currently at safety are Barry Church and Gerald Sensabaugh, and although good players, I don’t think either one is the answer in Kiffin’s system. I like Church and look forward to him being a solid player on the Cowboys for years to come, but they still need a better safety in coverage. This leads to the thought the Cowboys need to continue to look into drafting the versatile safety they’ve been missing since Darren Woodson retired. Or maybe that player is already on the roster.

2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    wow, if you would have said that I NEVER would have opened the thread. I hope the kid works out: you have NO idea how much I hope he can stay healthy. However, he's shown NO ability to do so............NONE and until he does he doesn't exist to me.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,909 Messages
    4,474 Likes Received
    I didn't write the thread and there was intention to deceive. Yeah, we know nothing about Matt but it is very unusual for a team to keep an injured player that long without putting them on IR. Whether that means anything is to be determined. But it's an interesting observation which means more than a little and less than a lot.
  4. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,622 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    Matt Johnson is my favorite Safety on this team...hope he pans out....Matt and Church 2013
  5. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

846 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    For some reason, I liked the pick of Matt Johnson at the time....he seemed to play FS naturally. Coming in with big hits and ballhawking type of play.

hope this was just a freakish injury and has a big time FS career with the Boys. Haven't had one of those in a long time.
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,512 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    4th round is a bit of a crap shoot. Those guys usually take awhile to come around and someone posted that less than 10% become regular starters in the end.

I hope the kid turns out okay but his lack of durability for a player not even in full practices is mind boggling.

They drafted him for a reason and they allegedly liked what they saw when he got a bit of time on the field so we might as well just continue and give him another season. I would not however suggest we go into the season with him as anything more than the #4 safety on the roster.
  7. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,210 Messages
    683 Likes Received
    Its hard to have any faith in Matt Johnson when he injures every part of body before playing in a actual game and he is supposed to be a hard hitting safety!!
  8. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,389 Messages
    1,785 Likes Received
    Do you think the coaching staff views safety as a need? They've groomed Church for years and he finally seemed to be coming into his own. Also, they spent a rather high-ish pic for Johnson and he hasn't gotten a chance to prove himself yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they feel they're set at safety.
  9. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,528 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    I cant see anymore than Reed Doughty 2.0.

Did anyone confirm ANY other team had him NEAR the 4th round? He wasn't projected to be drafted at all from the major draft sites
  10. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,665 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    There was an article shortly after the draft that said they got a tip overnight that New England was giving him serious consideration with a late 4th rounder. That article stated that at least one team called them after the pick to say they just picked their guy.
  11. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,053 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    I would love to see him play but he's always been hurt.
  12. Holdenteller67

Holdenteller67 Benched

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really? Based on what?
  13. thebigeasy88

thebigeasy88 Member

279 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    College career, video highlights, character & work ethic.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Lack of options?:confused:
  15. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    I can't believe how much love this kid gets. He was always hurt with some nagging injury and never played a down. I just don't see all the "hype" he gets. As one poster pointed out almost all major draft sites had him going un drafted. So Dallas gets a tip that NE might draft him and they panicked on a developmental player and spent a 4th rd pick on him? What a joke. Could have used that pick on a player that could actually play.
  16. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,630 Messages
    515 Likes Received
    The chances are greater this guy is never heard from again after training camp than him becoming a serviceable NFL player. He's on the roster so he still has a chance. But it would be risky, to say the least, for the Cowboys to expect much from this guy. They obviously really like his potential, so we'll see...
  17. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm courious to see what the kid can do too. I think its silly to blame him for the injuries. All the Church love, and as soon as he won a starting job and got a new contract. He promtly gets hurt and is out for the year. where is his hate.
  18. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,528 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    The only player who has not made a bad play in a game
  19. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    If you are gonna hate on Church you might want to get your info correct. He got hurt and then they gave him the contract. But go ahead and hate on Church.
  20. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If you think Im hateing on Church, reading comprehension iss not your stong suit. Im simply asking why all the Johnson hate and Curch love, when both are out hurt.