1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Dallas Cowboys: Why Doug Free Could Still Play Right Tackle in 2013

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,211 Messages
    3,172 Likes Received
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ug-free-could-still-play-right-tackle-in-2013

Not sure there was a bigger disappointment for the 2012 Dallas Cowboys than the play of right tackle Doug Free.

I didn’t bother looking up the actual numbers, but I know that Free was close to leading the league as the most penalized player, in the NFL—not as an offensive lineman, but player.

What exactly happened here is hard to understand, let alone explain. I’m sure that even owner and GM Jerry Jones is scratching his head, wondering how things have gone so awry on the offensive line.

Free hasn’t exactly had a fair shake, even though he did sign that four-year, $32 million contract immediately following the conclusion of the 2011 lockout.

Free’s contract, combined with his level of play over the past two seasons, is a big problem.

But the bigger one is Jones himself.
  2. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,364 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I want Dallas to draft the best interior OL or DL that's falls to 18.
  3. jobberone

36,211 Messages
    3,172 Likes Received
    I hope they can get the BPA but that's not a bad option.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,746 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    Free isn't going anywhere.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    famous last words
  6. jobberone

36,211 Messages
    3,172 Likes Received
    I have no idea what will happen. We are short on tackles and Free has a monstrous salary. Those are somewhat adversarial.
  7. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,485 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    I don't think Free goes anywhere either. He will get one more chance to prove it was an abnormality IMO. If he was making minimal money, then he would be cut.
  8. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,049 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    i believe that free will not be released. free and parnell and maybe a draft pick will fight for the starting tackle spot. if parnell and the rookie play better then free then he will be released. if not then free will be here one more year. to me as bad as free played last year i still hate to say that he will be on the team next year.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,221 Messages
    1,947 Likes Received
    Don't agree with the article at all.

Moving positions a lot doesn't really mean anything to me when you have been playing the position you are projected to play and looked physically incapable to keep up with outside speed or inside power.

It's not a matter of him being in position and getting beat, most of the time he can't even get into position. He looked as slow as one-legged Colombo did at the end of his tenure and there were times where he literally was blasted right into Romo's lap.

I think it might have been Fuzzy who said it a while back but Free has the sort of peak and fall in performance you'd expect from a guy who was roiding.

There is no case to keep the other guy than for cap purposes of not being able to absorb the total high right now.
  10. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    whether he stays or goes all depends on the cap situation and where the team is. If they need space this year and he gets them some as a June cut then he goes.
  11. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,475 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Either way, it's a tough spot to be in.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,813 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    If this freaking turnstyle is still in a Dallas uniform next year, the whole organization needs to be blown to pieces.

Jason, Jerry, Kiffin, the scouts, the waterboys, and the towel guy.

Players will not succeed in an environment where crappy guys get $8 mil a year and suffer no consequences.
  13. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    oh I agree
  14. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,526 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    He should spend all season in the OLine clinic that resurected Hollands career to a degree. Maybe they could at least make him serviceable.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    I've said this many times. I don't think Free is a RT.
  16. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received

Free isn't Rob Pettiti. He's played the position at a high level for entire seasons and was a coveted free agent by other front offices, which is why Dallas had to outbid Tampa Bay to keep him as a UFA. IMHO, it's mostly a confidence issue, which then causes you to lose faith in your technique.
  17. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,837 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    The best thing we can do for Free is get a great guard next to him. When he has had a decent guard next to him he has played very well.
  18. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    that excuse is just that - an excuse

Does not mean a thing with all the 1 on 1 battles he lost.
  19. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received

I don't think having Tampa chase you is automatically a sign that you are good. Free is not a good tackle, he stunk last year. He makes way too much money and that money could be used elsewhere.

Time to cut our losses.
  20. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,551 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    I agree with the writer of the article. Free is not going anywhere but Dallas does need to have a back plan which can only come from the draft.

Draft: DE/DT, safety, guard/center.