1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Dallas Cowboys: Why Doug Free Could Still Play Right Tackle in 2013

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,213 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Nope. This is inaccurate. He may not turn out to be a great RT, even with a great Guard next to him but the statement is true. When he has had a good Guard next to him, he has played well.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,440 Messages
    1,806 Likes Received
    If you watch some tape he is inconsistent. I'm not smart enough to know what the problem is but he'll play reasonably well then he looks like another player out there. There is someone out there in a Doug Free suit trying to play tackle.
  3. Nunez21

Nunez21 Active Member

237 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Why not?
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,213 Messages
    920 Likes Received

Some guys can play LT and then turn around an play RT as well. I think it has to do with mentality. The two positions, as I'm sure you know, are very different and not just physically. The mentality of the two are also very different. LT's obviously have to be more agile but a lot of times, LTs don't have that killer mentality that I think you need to have to be a RT. RTs are different that way. I don't believe that Free has that in him. I also think he struggles getting out of his stance at RT. It's like he has to think about what he's doing on that side. The LT spot seems much more natural for him when I watch him. Don't get me wrong, I never thought that Free was one of the upper echelon LTs in the League but I did think that he could be an above average LT for us, based on his performance early on. When we sustained injuries to our interior OL, he struggled with the inside move. The move to his right basically. I watch him now and I still see him struggle with that at times.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,923 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    You don't know how the salary cap works, do you?