1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dallas interest in OL?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by KevinU, Mar 1, 2011.

1. KevinU

KevinU Active Member

350 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    I must have missed it, have we heard any particular OL Dallas was interested in?

Thanks,

Kev
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received

Some say Tyron Smith but hopefully not at #9. While early 2nd round OL prospects look pretty strong.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,424 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Garrett is very close to Paul Chyrst of wisconsin. Dallas sent scouts to almost every game for Carimi.
    Also there was cowboys scouts at BC for Costanzo.
    Castanzo is a very smart person, a Rhodes Scholar candidate, and Garrett being a Princeton grad you know he likes smart players.

I'm sure Dallas sent scouts to watch every top OL but I don't think Jerry will spend the 9th pick overall on a OT. IF they are going OT in the 1st expect many trade backs.

Garrett knows he needs alot for now and depth. At 9 you can trade back a few times and always talk the teams in to adding a 5th or 6th.
  4. KevinU

KevinU Active Member

350 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Yeah, I have heard of Smith and Carimi, but I was not sure if there were any known info of Dallas interest?

Thanks

I like Carimi.
  5. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,483 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Being that Carimi is strictly a RT, you're going to see him fall further than you would expect. Maybe all the way to #40, or in range for a reasonable trade up.
  6. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,173 Messages
    2,757 Likes Received
    I still think that Dallas goes defense at #9 and then trades back up into the late first to take Carimi or Costanzo.
  7. supercowboy8

5,424 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Thats all Smith is, SMith has never played LT in college, well I take that back he did for two games and was so bad in pass pro that they moved him back to RT. Carimi and Castanzo both played 4 years starting LT.
    Both are more ready to play LT than Smith.
  8. supercowboy8

5,424 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I kind of agree but I think Dallas will trade back in the 1st and get the best player and then trade back into the late 1st with the added pick they got from the trade back to get another player.

Not sure which will be first but I can see Jerry trading back and get either OT or defense.

Either way I think its going to be Carimi/Castanzo and Harris/Moore both in the 1st.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Smith will probably be LT down the road. He is just too athletic not to be. Now some crickets who have not bothered to watch actual games with him in it might disagree.
  10. supercowboy8

5,424 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    he might be down the road, maybe but right now he isn't even close.

Carimi and Costanzo both with some coaching could also play LT down the road,
  11. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i really like both these guys allot , i want one of them dont care which think they are 2 of the safest picks in the draft .
  12. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Why is Smith so highly touted? His athleticism? Solder showed great athleticism and has moved up to the top OT in many published mocks.

I just don't get all the Smith hype.

I would take Carimi before all of them.
  13. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,483 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Yes. He's not as raw as Bruce Campbell, but he's along those workout warrior lines.

He's probably the last Tackle I'd take out of that top tier of guys. I see a massive bust in him.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I have watched several of his games and about two hours worth of game film just to come to the opinion that he has potential but he is far from being the sure-thing all-pro that Wes Bunting and several of his followers are making him out to be. He is not ready to start at RT and LT is only a hope and a prayer. Three years down the road , he may live up to his billing . I have tried to look at this guy with an open mind considering the need for upgrades to the Dallas OL. He will not be an upgrade in the next year or two , maybe never. Smith is just to much of a project.
  15. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
  16. supercowboy8

5,424 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    and who did Carimi play this, they weren't chumps.
    Carimi played LT vs Clayborn, Heyward, Ballard, Liuget, Jared Crick, and Kerrigan.

Thats pretty good players in this draft and in Crick who will be in next years draft.
  17. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Are you sure they were there for Costanzo, or perhaps LB Mark Herzlich (who they are known to like)??
  18. supercowboy8

5,424 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    where are they known to like him. I think scouts are sent to watch several teams and players. They could be watching both players.

Herzlich scars me and his slow speed does to.

What I read was a story about Dallas looking at OL and it stated that Dallas sent scouts to every BC game to watch Castanzo, never said anything about Herzlich.

The story was back before the senior bowl.
  19. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,425 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    If Dallas scouts have been to BC, Wisconsin, and SCal multiple times, the common factor is offensive linemen. Sorry, I'm just slow. Looking for clues to what our team is thinking.
  20. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They met with him at the Senior Bowl, and IIRC, Rob Ryan said some nice things about him in the media at that time...

Hey, I'm not too high on him myself... conversely, I'm not down on Costanzo either...