1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dallas interest in OL?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by KevinU, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,000 Messages
    2,788 Likes Received
    I just hope the Cowboys can add one of the upper tier linemen in this draft. I like Carimi but frankly I would not be upset with Smith, Castanzo or Sherrod. I would hope that it would be within a trade down situation instead of taking them at 9
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I agree with the trade-down . I just don`t think the talent is there to justify the pick at 9.
  3. Doomsday101

77,000 Messages
    2,788 Likes Received
    I think the Cowboys are in a prime spot at 9 for a potential trade. As top 5 players go off the board teams start getting antsy for their guy and I think the likelihood of a trade offer is very good for the Cowboys.

I think the only way Dallas would trade up is if Peterson slipped above 5
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I hope that a trade up doesn`t happen for any player. If Dallas plays this thing right , they could end up with three top-end players in the first couple of rounds. A RT, RG and a DB would suit me.
  5. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    I agree if we are going to take a tackle then trade down from 9. IMO there's not a big difference between any of the top guys and we can get a good one anywhere in the 20's. Taking one at 9 is a terrible use of value for that pick, we're talking about a RT here. Get Carimi in the 20's.
  6. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,126 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I just don't see Carimi as having Smith's potential.

This season I see Carimi as being the better player.

Four years from now I see Smith as being the better player.

It comes down to how the scouts project them. I see Smith as being projected higher. I guess we'll have to wait until the draft to see how the pros project them.
  7. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,301 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    I never said he was another Bruce campbell. I don't care about his potential. I don't care if 5 years from now he can be a LT. I need a RT right now and Carimi is a better RT right now. Thats all that matters.

Jerry has said time and time again that a 1st round pick especially the 9th overall should start. Smith might be able to start at RT but not as good as Carimi at RT.

Also, wow he played great vs one player who is in a 3-4. How many times do you see 3-4 DEs rushing the passer and getting sacks.
    Got any other players besides just Jordan.

Look at the teams and players Carimi played against. He went up against top tier college DEs all season and played very well. We have a LT we need a RT and Carimi or Castanzo is that guy.
  8. Doomsday101

77,000 Messages
    2,788 Likes Received
    I disagree, nothing against Smith and if we get him I'll be happy that we addressed the need with a quality guy but Carimi has been playing LT for a while now and has done a damn good job enough that he was the Outland winner as the best lineman. Carimi has faced very good rushers and did it well and he was a beast at run blocking. He was not just opening holes he was driving his man down field he was burying guys.

Again there are other lineman I like as well but Carimi is a damn fine player and should only get better as he gains experience on the pro level
  9. Doomsday101

77,000 Messages
    2,788 Likes Received
    I'm more inclinded to agree with you but if Peterson is what most think he is then I'm not going to be upset if he ends up in Dallas. I see the draft as more than just a 1 year thing it helps set the future and if I can get a Deion Sanders type CB then it will be hard to get upset over that,
  10. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    You're making stuff up now.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
  12. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Than Solder is your man. Better athleticism than Smith, better size, All American and runner up in the Outland. Only three years playing tackle allows a lot of room for improvement, plus he stuck at left tackle and didn't get bumped to right.
  13. Doomsday101

77,000 Messages
    2,788 Likes Received
    I think too big of a deal is being made about Free. He went up aginst guys like Pepper and Freeny and held his own. I hope we can get an OT who can play either side of the line but as for Free I'm very confident in him
  14. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Correct-o-mundo!
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I honestly am not that good at evaluating DB talent , but I hope that he does turn out to be a shut-down corner if Dallas trades up. If not , the trade up will haunt the Cowboys for years.
  16. Doomsday101

77,000 Messages
    2,788 Likes Received
    You could say that with any pick if they don't pan out. According to many analyst they feel Peterson is the best prospect in the draft. Again for me I would look to trade down and get the OL player and an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd but I'm not going to close my mine to other options or possibilities