1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dallas interviews Ingram

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 25, 2012.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,570 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    South Carolina outside linebacker/defensive end Melvin Ingram (6-1 3/4, 276) is a projected first-round pick (several mock drafts have him going in the Top 20) and he said Wednesday that he's interviewed with the Cowboys this week at the Senior Bowl. Ingram has been impressive this week and he said he's comfortable playing in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. He said he's also comfortable playing at either defensive end or outside linebacker.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/01/some-news-and-notes-from-day-3.html

the guy is a beast and is always around the ball, but if he has a good combine which he will which his great strength, he will be a top 10-12 pick ans we will miss out.
  2. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i really like this kid if decastro is gone i would be very happy with ingram .
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    No way Ingram makes it to 14. Everybody wants pass rush.
  4. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I've barely seen any mock drafts where Ingram goes before Dallas. I think he's there for us if we want him.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,570 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    Here is alittle secret, don't look ay mock drafts until after the combine and if you do then don't pay much attention to them. Mock drafts will change so many tomes in the next 3 months so you can't go by that.
  6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,117 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    He's going to Buffalo...book it.
  7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,092 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    He's definitely on my short list(3) of guys I want at 14. Would just like to see him drop a few pounds before the combine to help his quickness and agility. I just find it hard to believe he will do well in the 40, shuttle or cone drill at 276.
  8. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    In more ways than one, i agree.. he's definitely on the "short" list.

I kind of hope he and Upshaw have great pre draft workouts, because i'd love to see both go in the top 13. Upshaw got swallowed up by bigger guys today in practice, and i feel like with both those guys being so short and having such short arms, going up against NFL caliber tackles will give them real problems in getting the the QB being at a disadvantage all the time. I know they are both relentless players, and if i had to choose i'd pick Ingram, but i question how consistently effective both will be able to play in the NFL because of their less than desierable height and length.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,092 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    Remember when Elvis Dumervil was too short? Height can be looked past as long as the speed and power are elite. Plus a high motor is necessary too.
  10. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,912 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    how many mocks before the draft had aldon smith going in the top 7 or let alone 10?

heck aldon smith to me didn't really blow up the combine. He ran a 4.74 and only benches 225 20x. But he was 6'4 265lbs with really long arms.

I heard upshaw had short arms is that true?
  11. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Well the speed and power arn't elite for Upshaw, imo. Like i said, i may take a chance on Ingram, but i don't see it as a big enough need for us to take that risk at 14.

Also, Dumervil may be short, but his wingspan is gigantic. Part of the problem with Ingram and Upshaw is they both have short arms.
  12. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Isn't James Harrison 6' and Woodley 6"2? Height can be blown out of proportion. Both were productive college players at big time programs.
  13. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Im not saying no shorter guys can ever be good players, but its not ideal and having short arms is a real disadvantage. Like someone said, Ingram has elite power and speed and is completely relentless and seems to be pretty natural in the pass rush. I'd take him, not Upshaw though. I'd take Dont'a Hightower over Upshaw actually.
  14. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,092 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    I'll agree with you on upshaw. I really don't see any part of his game that stands out. Size, speed, and pass rushing moves all seem to be far from elite.
  15. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Yea, i wouldn't mind the guy in your mock in the 2nd either.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    I have watched every second of Senior Bowl stuff I could. Ingram and Upshaw are the two guys I most want at 14.

Upshaw is stronger and has a better motor. Ingram has more explosiveness and pass rush skill. IMHO both are better players than Spencer in that they are stronger and play with better leverage. Neither guy has great top end speed so won't crush the 40. That makes at least one of them available at 14 IMHO.

Ingram doesn't have round 1 measurables but he has the slickest pure pass rush moves of this class. Cobles will go very early but he can't touch either of these guys for pass rush skill today. He obviously has more upside potential though.

Right now I think I'd go pass rusher in R1 and CB in R2. But we'll see how the dominoes fall as we get closer to the draft.
  17. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    I am really liking this kid from Marshall the more I hear about him. I think he could be next years Aldon Smith. Janoris Jenkins at 14 and Curry in the second and boom this D is elite.