1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Dallas looking at numbers to replace Ware

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by alicetooljam, Mar 12, 2014.

1. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    This has Moneyball written all over it. I can see JJ and JG going to Vicks house and selling him on playing WR. Lol. Ok now lets win 20 in a row.
  2. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

2,951 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    And the article states it's not about big names, but about rotating a lot of good pass rushers. Exactly what Seattle did. Which I agreed with.

Edit: After re-reading I think we are both arguing the same thing. I wasn't insinuating they had a bunch of superstars. I was saying they had a rotation of guys that knew how to get after the quarterback instead of relying on one or two guys to put up big numbers.
    Common Sense likes this.
  3. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

2,847 Messages
    668 Likes Received

Yeah,

Avril, bennett, Clemmons, Irvin, bryant, mcdonald last year

vs

Selvie, crawford, bass, Mincey, Mcclain, hayden, wynn as we stand.

Not exactly similar track records, pedigrees, or production.

Seattle has very solid and quality players - just because they were in Seattle and got less notoriety doesn't mean they are street FA
    Doomsay and Common Sense like this.
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,067 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    Irvin didn't pan out and was moved to LB (2 sks)
    Bryant was strictly a run stopping SDE and they were so happy with him they cut him loose this year. McDonald was little known until this season. Registering zero sacks up until now.
  5. McLovin

2,847 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    What Current Team's Dline roster in the league right now would you not trade with straight up?
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,067 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    Yeah, Commonsense doesn't like these moves because he thinks these type guys suck. I was just pointing out that the Seahawks aren't a bunch of probowl types.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,330 Messages
    2,888 Likes Received
    Then why Mr Archer did you throw the team under the bus the whole rest of the article?
  8. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,439 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Nobody said they were a bunch of Pro Bowl types, but then again, exaggerated claims are why we're having this debate in the first place.
    Doomsay likes this.
  9. texbumthelife

2,951 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Well I think it falls somewhere between you guys. Avril is considered an elite pass rusher and they paid him big money. They drafted Irvin. They got Bennett to play on a cheap, prove it deal, most likely because players love Pete Carroll and the environment he creates.

The talent they had last year is significantly better then what we had or have. However next offseason could/should be the great equalizer. You guys are just going to have to be patient and realize simply cutting Ware and Austin isn't going to fix all the problems and likely neither will one draft.
  10. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    If Jerry Jones gave a rats behind about what the fans thought he would have stepped down years ago.

And he will never tear down and rebuild because all he cares about is putting something relatively competitive, sort of in the mix, ultimately entertaining on the field. Not the hard work of actually building a real winner.
  11. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,831 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    I'm with you man, and I know I've been whining a lot lately, I'm so freaking frustrated with this entire franchise, my skull's about to explode. It's like the Cowboys are the Titanic and in the lower deck, we're trying to plug in holes, and we all know what's eventually going to happen.

He's trying to create cap space by cutting players who's contract's are eating up space, guess who structured those contracts that way? Now he's running around like an idiot trying to sign anything with a pulse. I'm sure he thinks Marinelli can work miracles with what ever he throws out there. Jerry thinks that Coaching can overcome lack of talent. What a dumb ***. You only build through free agency when you've just lost the NFC championship or lost the Super Bowl and you are a couple of players away.

Then we're still rolling out the same pathetic offense, a defense that won't be much better, and a cast of coaches that are at minimum, pathetic. If he had any lower parts at all, he would truly blow up this cast of crap, including coaching staff, and start from scratch.
    ConstantReboot and coult44 like this.
  12. McLovin

2,847 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Most became appreciated in 2012 when they made they manhandled the Cowboys like Alabama vs a JV HS team
    texbumthelife likes this.
  13. texbumthelife

2,951 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    I think you, and many other fans, mistake not knowing how with not caring to. You're out of your damn mind if you don't think Jerry wants a winner. You absolutely hitting the trees like Sonny Bono if you don't think he wants another ring.
  14. wileedog

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    You are right that he wants to win in the worst possible way. But only if he - Jerry Jones - gets the credit for it.

No other owner who wanted to win would have put up with a terrible GM for the last 18 years. Jerry has acknowledged it.

And he's not going to go through a rebuilding year or two because the GM is also the owner, and the owner doesn't sell tickets in a rebuilding year.

Does Jerry want to win? Absolutely. But there a lot of conditions attached to that desire.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,521 Messages
    2,066 Likes Received
    Think about how sad that is.
    Common Sense likes this.
  16. wileedog

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    I am more and more convinced that Jerry has bought into the Marinelli hype too. One George Selvie means we can replace Ware with scrubs who can be "coached up."

It's the OL dumpster diving all over again.
    Common Sense likes this.
  17. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

27,572 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    I think that's a legitimate concern, but I would hold off until we see what he does in the first two rounds of the draft. Drafting a top defensive tackle or end on day one or at the beginning of day two should be enough to cast some doubt on that premise.
  18. wileedog

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Granted.

Jerry's "Ware will be replaced by 3 cheap guys" line has me spooked though.
    Common Sense likes this.
  19. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,385 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    Now we're blaming the fans for Jerry's inadequacy, and lame posturing as a GM. That's as nuts as anything I've seem here the last few days....
  20. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,385 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    They went out and got starters. We went out and got guys who might not make the roster on those good teams...