1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dallas/Ratliff money situation

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Feb 2, 2014.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,457 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Has anybody else heard of anything reguarding this? When he was released it was mentioned the Cowboys might make a play in getting some of the money back based on the fact Ratliff wouldnt train and rehab at Valley Ranch. Just this whole situation seems to be a good idea and seems to be favorable in their side.
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,332 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    Haven't heard anything yet

You would think that Dallas would have some type of legitimate grievance that they can submit to the league, but who knows what that would mean for them anyway...I toss this in the bucket of the $10m fine that we got that was illegal......we won't ever see anything from either of these IMO....
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,414 Messages
    2,295 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be surprised if the league told Jerry to cool it until after the SB... If there really is a case here. There maybe is and there may not be. And we may never hear.
  4. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,648 Messages
    739 Likes Received
    Jerry seems more interested in getting another Superbowl at ATT than ruffling league feathers over something that would merely have an effect the team's ability to compete.
  5. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,410 Messages
    671 Likes Received
    One thing I did hear today is that the Broncos and Von Miller have reached an agreement and they are no longer seeking to recover some of his signing bonus through the league due to his earlier suspension.
  6. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,305 Messages
    2,037 Likes Received
    Its almost impossible to get money back from players these days, I highly doubt we are going to get one penny back from Ratliff.
    dogberry likes this.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,256 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    Like you all I don't know but something this stinky might be enough for an arbitrator to do something.
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,035 Messages
    3,971 Likes Received
    Latest word was from Stephen and he just reiterated that it was a legal thing. Nothing more.

Basically, there will be lawyers.
  9. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,305 Messages
    2,037 Likes Received
    And we all know that when lawyers are involved, things move at glacial speed.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  10. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,223 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    I've been waiting for the "before the superbowl" newsbreak concerning the Boys. Was hoping Linehan wasn't it. Guess we will have to make due.
  11. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,457 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Im not really asking about getting money back from Ratliff. Im talking about more in terms of getting cap back for this yr. Its clear Dallas released Ratliff because he couldnt pass a physical, and wasnt training with staff and wasnt even communicating with them. Thats all a breach of contract. I dont see how the nfl couldnt give Dallas back cap space.
    Kaiser likes this.
  12. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,581 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    I thought I heard there was a window of several weeks after Ratliff was released to file a grievance with the league and the Cowboys were waiting for him to actually sign with another team. So, that window would have already passed. However, maybe the Cowboys filed something and it has been kept under wraps. Hard to believe because the league can't keep anything a secret especially if it is related to the Cowboys.

Hopefully, we will all of the sudden, one day soon, see a difference in the amount over the cap decrease by about $8M absent any restructure or cut or trade and we will know why.
  13. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,937 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    they may very well get some money back, but i highly doubt they get cap space back, in fact they wont get cap space back so its kind of irrelevant for us fans other than Jay R is an ahole and we want to see him hand some back
  14. jobberone

36,256 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    There's always lawyers. :(

PS: sry to all the legal eagles....no offense intended of course
  15. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,668 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    And there's always more to the story.
  16. jobberone

36,256 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    Generally, yes.
  17. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,990 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Getting cash back from Jay Ratliff and getting salary cap space are linked, IMO.

If Dallas wins a grievance against Ratliff and he is ordered to repay any bonus money, the team will get actually cash from the player and cap relief.

Whenever money changes hands, be it team to player or the other way around, it must be accounted for under the salary cap.

If the Cowboys can prove Ratliff violated the terms of his player contract, they should be in position to recoup his bonus money from 2013-17.

The bonus money in question totals $9.66M.
    jobberone likes this.
  18. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Sure woulda liked to seen him beside Hatcher this year.
  19. jobberone

36,256 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    That would be fair but I don't know the rules.
  20. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,021 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    I don't think anything is going to come of it.

The Franchise needs to lick its wounds and move on.

The best thing to come out of it that the team isn't going to hand out anymore deals like Spencer got and Ratliff.

Let all pray management understands how this all needs to work.

Between the draft failures and deals like Ratliff, Austin, Ware and Romo..

..we are lucky to be where we are at 8-8.

Me..I'm just happy we are not pursuing Hatcher in big way.

He's another in a long line of players who really only contribute to the team for one year..

and then think they can cash in.

If they change the playoffs next year..

We will qualify and see what happens..
    jobberone likes this.