1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dallas/Ratliff money situation

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Feb 2, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,308 Messages
    2,722 Likes Received
    You may be right. I don't like the idea of someone saying they are so injured they can't play then start playing soon after being cut. That's sets a terrible precedent for the league and threatens the way things run. I think the league will go all out to make things as right as they can.
    dogberry likes this.
  2. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,924 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Is there a precedent for tuna?
  3. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received

This kind of thing rarely comes up, here is what the NFL CBA states.

If Dallas can prove Jay Ratliff lied about the extend of his injury and willfully stayed off the practice field, they should be able to go after his bonus money from 2013-17.

I have no idea if the team can prove anything,
    tantrix1969, jobberone and dogberry like this.
  4. Bluefin

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received

Nothing comes to mind that compares to this particular case.

Players who have retired have been forced to repay bonus money in the past, but even that is a rare occurrence.

Still, there is no question that Jay Ratliff quit on his team and violated his contract.

It will come down to whether or not Dallas can prove it in a hearing.
    jobberone likes this.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,114 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    lawyers. Shakespeare was right about them 350 years ago.
  6. jobberone

35,308 Messages
    2,722 Likes Received
    I agree. Off with his head!
  7. jobberone

35,308 Messages
    2,722 Likes Received
    All except the ones we know and those who are righteous! :)
  8. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,924 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    My bad I was meaning more the regaining of cap space. did the falcons get any when Vick repaid some of his bonus money?

Ok I just looked it up, he repaid $3.75m and they DID get credited.

Lets hope jerry goes to town on his arse
  9. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,558 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    No matter what happens it was clear the GM mishandled the entire situation.
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,236 Messages
    1,186 Likes Received
    Dallas is known to be very detailed in stuff like this. They should have very little problem proving this. Its been decumented by Ratliff himself on not training with the staff but on his own.
    Bluefin likes this.
  11. Bluefin

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Hopefully.

I remember reading an article that opined why Jay Ratliff would even attempt the conditioning run at the start of training camp if he felt he was still injured.

I also recall reading that Ratliff and his agent seemingly told the Cowboys the DT would be unable to play in 2013 just prior to his release (which was the main reason for the release). Rat's agent notified teams shortly thereafter that his player would be ready to conduct workouts within a month.

The complete 180 plays strongly in Dallas' favor.

But Ratliff will have his doctors stating he was injured and the Cowboys will have their doctors swearing he was healthy enough to at least return to practice, if not play in games.
  12. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,797 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Yep, I can't stand the toxic avenger Jay Ratliff but I am starting to see why he wanted out from under the Jerry Jones Cowboys Franchise....Jerry Jones is not about football,,he is about money,,,,,This franchise is not going anywhere(not in since 1995). Ratliff had the inside track on Jerry Jones,, he saw the GM in action daily....he took the GM for a ride, he took the money and then got released in time to earn more money and a chance to win. He beat the GM at his own game......

All while the billionaire owner just threatens lawsuits,,,,,again all talk from the same guy who has been preaching championships since Jimmy Johnson left.....
  13. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,480 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    It still chaps my *** that we paid the guy a bunch, he turned out to be a pain in the butt and was "hurt" and would not be able to play, then we release him and he is suited up when we go to Chicago to play them. This smells of a deal gone bad and we should get some compensation IMO.
  14. yentl911

1,480 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    It sure looked like the team doctors were right. He suited up right after being released to play against us. What a crock.
  15. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,450 Messages
    3,688 Likes Received
    Sometimes getting swindled due to your own ineptitude is not something that results in compensation.
    peplaw06 likes this.
  16. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,512 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    And these things take time.
  17. yentl911

1,480 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I don;t know if it was ineptitude. From what I heard/read - our doctors said he was good and rat said he was not. We released him because he was not able to play and then as soon as he was released he was picked up and started playing immediately. That has BS all over it big style.
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,512 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    It wasn't ineptitude. Don't feed the trolls.
  19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,450 Messages
    3,688 Likes Received
    If this was accurate why did we fail him on his physical?
  20. yentl911

1,480 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I thought our trainers deemed that he was healthy enough to play but he, and his own doctor, said he was unfit? I thought that was where the problem was aside from him rehabbing on his own away from the team's facility. I could be wrong. It would not be the first time!