1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dan Rather suing CBS, Viacom for $70 million over Bush story

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Mavs Man, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

NEW YORK - Former CBS news anchor Dan Rather filed a $70 million lawsuit Wednesday against the network, former corporate parent Viacom Inc., and three of his former bosses.

Rather's complaint stems from "CBS' intentional mishandling" of the aftermath of a discredited story about President George W. Bush's time in the Texas Air National Guard.

The lawsuit, filed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, also names CBS President and CEO Leslie Moonves, Viacom chairman Sumner Redstone, and Andrew Heyward, former president of CBS News.

Rather is seeking $20 million in compensatory damages and $50 million in punitive damages.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070919/ap_on_en_tv/rather_lawsuit
  2. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Note to Dan Rather: Check your sources next time!
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,768 Messages
    2,842 Likes Received
    A small part of me hopes he wins, because that just takes money out of the pocket of CBS.:D
  4. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,610 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I don't understand what his cause of action is. "Intentional Mishandling of the aftermath of a discredited story??" I didn't learn about that in Torts. Is it a breach of contract claim?

Well, this link says that it's a breach of contract claim....http://www.baltimoresun.com/enterta...ep20,0,3272517.story?coll=bal_news_world_util

Obviously it's hard to tell if he has a case without the contract in front of me, but I'm assuming that CBS had a clause on the contract that allowed them to get out for cause or for misconduct, etc.

The general consensus seems to be that he's spinning his wheels.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    He needs to sue himself for being a tool. :D